share rss forum feed

teddy

join:2002-02-20
Kingston, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable

Any issue using the VOIP modem without the battery?

My wife called me saying the internet at home is out. I suggested rebooting the modem which unfortunately is a pain in the neck as I had to instruct her how to remove the battery.

We do not subscribe to the home phone service, so I do not think the battery is essential. Can I use the modem without the battery?

It is a DOCSIS3 Arris modem, I'm not sure of the model# off hand.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

I pulled the battery out of our RCA modem when we got rid of phone service for the same reason you want to and it worked fine. I imagine the Arris would be similar, but I can't say for certain.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to teddy

I just use the reset nub...

EDIT: It came to mind it might come forward as me calling the OP a nub, I meant the nub behind the modem, the lil button...

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13
reply to teddy

It would be an Arris TM722

The battery would not make any difference in the operation of the Internet service. That said, I would recommend using the reset button, as already mentioned.

teddy

join:2002-02-20
Kingston, ON

I'd be happy to use the reset button, but to make my life easier I also like being able to just shut down the computer and disconnect the power strip rather than rebooting the router + modem (+my voip adapter).

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13

Fair enough, if the eMTA isn't locked down, you could exchange it for a Cisco DPC3000 the next time you're @ the Cat Centre. It's internet only, so no battery issues.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

the battery is to probaly make sure ur phone works during a hydro outage, if ur fine with no phone service during a hydro outage then all is well
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!