share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

[Rant] Home Depot

Why does it seems every time I walk in the store and need to go down one of the aisles that they are about to close it off? Happened to me last month.. but the thing is they blocked it off and never did anything, and after standing waiting for 5 min another customer ended up just moving the gate aside.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by Subaru:

Why does it seems every time I walk in the store and need to go down one of the aisles that they are about to close it off? Happened to me last month.. but the thing is they blocked it off and never did anything, and after standing waiting for 5 min another customer ended up just moving the gate aside.

Lowes > Home Depot

The biggest thing that annoys me to all hell about HD, is usually on a Saturday or Sunday morning you walk in, get your things, and proceed to the check out stand. Not check out stands, check out stand.

There will be 10 customers standing there and one cashier. One of the busiest days of the week and they have the one cashier.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Ghastlyone:

The biggest thing that annoys me to all hell about HD, is usually on a Saturday or Sunday morning you walk in, get your things, and proceed to the check out stand. Not check out stands, check out stand.

They don't have self-checkout stands there???

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Ghastlyone

Yeah I've seen that too If lowes was closer and not far enough that I have to pay a toll I would go more.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Ghastlyone

That is called a bad manager. I have never seen 10 people standing in line at our local HDs... course my SIL was the store manager and now a district manager.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Subaru:

Lowes > Home Depot

There will be 10 customers standing there and one cashier. One of the busiest days of the week and they have the one cashier.

I thought all HD had self checkouts?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

after standing waiting for 5 min another customer ended up just moving the gate aside.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
reply to Subaru

isn't Home Depot like the WalMart of home improvement stores?

I prefer Lowe's > Menards > Home Depot
--
Good evening!

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to Subaru

Every time I go to HD, they're always out of what I need.

Supply chain management, people!

thegeek
Premium
right here

I was just in HD the other day buying some new switch plates. I was getting 3 white and 1 black. They are the same price. There was someone at the self checkout so I went to the cashier who wasn't waiting on anyone. She scanned the single black plate and punched a button to multiply it by 4. I took the opportunity to lecture her on how she just screwed up the inventory system by doing that. She still didn't seem to understand but she corrected it none the less.

I've done the same thing at the grocery store too when buying soda. I've had a cashier ring up 4 12-packs of Coke when I actually had 4 different Coke products. The cashiers never seem to understand. Poor management.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

it's just laziness and failure to see the bigger picture in everything with most of my generation (80s-90s).

Apple had the right idea in naming their products: iPod, iPad, iTouch, iTunes

Everything has and "i" in it because this generation is only concerned with themselves...individuals.

The cashiers (or any customer service) will give customers BS so they can get back to their precious "me time" on the company's dime.
--
Good evening!

A non

@151.190.0.x
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

Based on my Stop and Shop thread, you shouldn't expect the world to revolve around you; you should simply wait there for as long as necessary for them to take your money.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

said by A non :

said by Ghastlyone:

Based on my Stop and Shop thread, you shouldn't expect the world to revolve around you; you should simply wait there for as long as necessary for them to take your money.

And clearly - to anyone with common sense - recognizes this is NOTHING like your example. Not even in the same planet.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth

I have to agree, this isn't anything like the Stop and Shop thread.
--
Good evening!

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I've done the same thing at the grocery store too when buying soda. I've had a cashier ring up 4 12-packs of Coke when I actually had 4 different Coke products. The cashiers never seem to understand. Poor management.

Coke is a vendor item, inventory for that is typically not a concern as they manage there own inventory separate of the stores.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
reply to Subaru

I'm sorry but i hate Lowes. Less American made items and high prices. The people working at the one by me are arrogant and up tight. Don't get me wrong i'm no huge fan of home depot but its less of a pain in the ass.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to hitachi369

said by hitachi369:

said by thegeek:

Coke is a vendor item, inventory for that is typically not a concern as they manage there own inventory separate of the stores.

Each item has a different barcode. If by chance the store's inventory management system doesn't track the cases of Coke it surely tracks the sales data. Store management, at least if they are intelligent enough, will want to know which specific brands are selling more than others. Say for instance if Orange Crush is outselling Grape Crush they will want to know that so they can make sure the Coke guy is keeping the inventory of Orange Crush high enough to satisfy customer demand.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

That doesn't matter for something like Coke or Pepsi products at grocery stores. Those are restocked by the Coke or Pepsi delivery guy, so he has eyes on of what is on the shelf and what he needs to replace.

It might mess up their sales tracking at a grocery store, but it doesn't mess up their inventory system as to what they need to reorder like it would if they rang up canned green beans as canned corn.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to thegeek

The Coke guy decided what to bring in and what to stock. They don't look at the stores internal invetory systems. Coke has there own employees stock and manage the inventory.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to thegeek

said by cowboyro:

They don't have self-checkout stands there???

said by thegeek:

I thought all HD had self checkouts?

Of course they do. Are you going to go through a self check out stand with 40 items though? What about people that purchase hardware like nuts and bolts, etc? You'll be standing there all day looking these items up.

What's funny is, it usually takes longer to go through a self checkout stand then having an actual cashier ring your crap up.

Like when you scan an item yourself and the bagging area thinks you didn't bag your item. So then it locks up and will not proceed until the cashier in the self check out area resets your station?

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hitachi369

said by hitachi369:

The Coke guy decided what to bring in and what to stock. They don't look at the stores internal invetory systems. Coke has there own employees stock and manage the inventory.

I agree. My BIL is a former Kroger Mgr and their database is irrelevant to the restocking by the vendor.

Their vendor makes sure the appropriate items get restocked according to their demand.

Dave

thegeek
Premium
right here

OK so maybe Coke was a bad example. But you get the fucking idea.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

said by thegeek:

OK so maybe Coke was a bad example. But you get the fucking idea.

I prefer RC Cola myself!
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

thegeek
Premium
right here

shasta ftw

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Subaru

I tend to prefer Lowes as they seem to usually be more helpful and have more checkout lanes open, but I have never really had any problems with Home Depot either.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Subaru

We have a fabulous Home Depot. Employees are always asking if I need help and the advice has always been excellent. Never had much trouble at checkout and returns are a breeze. I've been in some awful Home Depots though, it definitely depends on the store and how well it's run.

Lowes isn't quite as good here. I've generally had more trouble finding someone willing to help me, and the prices are often higher. I'll still go there if Hope Depot didn't have what I needed.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I was just in HD the other day buying some new switch plates. I was getting 3 white and 1 black. They are the same price. There was someone at the self checkout so I went to the cashier who wasn't waiting on anyone. She scanned the single black plate and punched a button to multiply it by 4. I took the opportunity to lecture her on how she just screwed up the inventory system by doing that. She still didn't seem to understand but she corrected it none the less.

Around here its the opposite, I see the cashier tell the customer they need to scan all unique flavors. And many customers get this "wtf" look about having to load their five different flavors onto the belt.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Subaru

n/m

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

I have the same complaint, and I used to resort to the same solution (moving the gate). Until the day I learned that they sometimes block off an aisle like this because they are actually working in an adjacent aisle, and it is dangerous to be in that first aisle while they are doing so. I did this once and looked up to see a large pallet of items coming dangerously close to tipping off of the top shelf right over me; they were in the next aisle over, restocking that top shelf with a forklift. So now I just generally avoid any area that's gated off, unless maybe I've checked both adjacent aisles first. And even then I move quick, and get in and out of there fast.

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

When I worked at HD and Lowes, an aisle would be closed off because there was a forklift working in an adjacent aisle.

Spotters are "supposed" to enforce the closure by standing by and warning customers to stay out.
--
I'm a son of a gun...