join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hitachi369

Re: [Rant] Home Depot

said by hitachi369:

The Coke guy decided what to bring in and what to stock. They don't look at the stores internal invetory systems. Coke has there own employees stock and manage the inventory.

I agree. My BIL is a former Kroger Mgr and their database is irrelevant to the restocking by the vendor.

Their vendor makes sure the appropriate items get restocked according to their demand.

Dave

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

OK so maybe Coke was a bad example. But you get the fucking idea.

Santa Fe
Stormy Weather
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

said by thegeek:

I prefer RC Cola myself!
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

shasta ftw

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to Subaru

I tend to prefer Lowes as they seem to usually be more helpful and have more checkout lanes open, but I have never really had any problems with Home Depot either.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Subaru

We have a fabulous Home Depot. Employees are always asking if I need help and the advice has always been excellent. Never had much trouble at checkout and returns are a breeze. I've been in some awful Home Depots though, it definitely depends on the store and how well it's run.

Lowes isn't quite as good here. I've generally had more trouble finding someone willing to help me, and the prices are often higher. I'll still go there if Hope Depot didn't have what I needed.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I was just in HD the other day buying some new switch plates. I was getting 3 white and 1 black. They are the same price. There was someone at the self checkout so I went to the cashier who wasn't waiting on anyone. She scanned the single black plate and punched a button to multiply it by 4. I took the opportunity to lecture her on how she just screwed up the inventory system by doing that. She still didn't seem to understand but she corrected it none the less.

I've done the same thing at the grocery store too when buying soda. I've had a cashier ring up 4 12-packs of Coke when I actually had 4 different Coke products. The cashiers never seem to understand. Poor management.

Around here its the opposite, I see the cashier tell the customer they need to scan all unique flavors. And many customers get this "wtf" look about having to load their five different flavors onto the belt.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Subaru

n/m

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

Why does it seems every time I walk in the store and need to go down one of the aisles that they are about to close it off? Happened to me last month.. but the thing is they blocked it off and never did anything, and after standing waiting for 5 min another customer ended up just moving the gate aside.

I have the same complaint, and I used to resort to the same solution (moving the gate). Until the day I learned that they sometimes block off an aisle like this because they are actually working in an adjacent aisle, and it is dangerous to be in that first aisle while they are doing so. I did this once and looked up to see a large pallet of items coming dangerously close to tipping off of the top shelf right over me; they were in the next aisle over, restocking that top shelf with a forklift. So now I just generally avoid any area that's gated off, unless maybe I've checked both adjacent aisles first. And even then I move quick, and get in and out of there fast.

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

Why does it seems every time I walk in the store and need to go down one of the aisles that they are about to close it off? Happened to me last month.. but the thing is they blocked it off and never did anything, and after standing waiting for 5 min another customer ended up just moving the gate aside.

When I worked at HD and Lowes, an aisle would be closed off because there was a forklift working in an adjacent aisle.

Spotters are "supposed" to enforce the closure by standing by and warning customers to stay out.
--
I'm a son of a gun...

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to mettachain

said by mettachain:

isn't Home Depot like the WalMart of home improvement stores?

No, Menard's is.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

said by jester121:

said by mettachain:

isn't Home Depot like the WalMart of home improvement stores?

No, Menard's is.

I 2nd this, Menards has always struck me as "cheap" and not in a good way.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to A non

said by A non :

Based on my Stop and Shop thread, you shouldn't expect the world to revolve around you; you should simply wait there for as long as necessary for them to take your money.

You mean Stop and Rob?
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Santa Fe

said by Santa Fe:

said by thegeek:

I prefer RC Cola myself!

Coke or Pepsi made in Mexico. Can't stand that HFCS crap.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

jmh316
xlt1a

join:2009-04-17
Evansville, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Subaru

Can't say a bad thing about the Home Depot here.
Better brands than Menards( although I really like Menards too ).
Can't justify going to Lowes. too high prices, and the closest one is 60 miles away anyway. Have both a Menards and HD within 10 miles.

Maybe it's just the area, or certain stores, but I've never ever had to wait to be checked out.

Oh, and I do agree with the gate issue....seen that a few times. It never really created a problem, but it's annoying.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

It's like they had radar.. went to look at some PVC caps and I was told I had to clear the area.. I said to the guy's face "You gotta be kidding me.. every time I come here.."

Had I not needed the cap to pound a large seal in I would of dropped everything and walked out.

Another area was I was looking at the sand.. and the area I needed to look at was closed off... I ended up just leaving.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I was just in HD the other day buying some new switch plates. I was getting 3 white and 1 black. They are the same price. There was someone at the self checkout so I went to the cashier who wasn't waiting on anyone. She scanned the single black plate and punched a button to multiply it by 4. I took the opportunity to lecture her on how she just screwed up the inventory system by doing that. She still didn't seem to understand but she corrected it none the less.

I've done the same thing at the grocery store too when buying soda. I've had a cashier ring up 4 12-packs of Coke when I actually had 4 different Coke products. The cashiers never seem to understand. Poor management.

For pepsi or coke products the system inventory does not matter.

Pepsi and Coke have their own delivery trucks, their own delivery people, and their own inventory system.
When the delivery person shows up they inventory what did not sell and they restock the shelves how they want.
The stores inventory count means nothing. Just sayin.

You were right on with the face plates though.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
reply to Subaru

I dont notice any difference between home depot and lowes except for tools.
I found lowes has a much better selection of hand tools, besides that its all the same.
--

mackey

join:2007-08-20
kudos:6
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

What's funny is, it usually takes longer to go through a self checkout stand then having an actual cashier ring your crap up.

Like when you scan an item yourself and the bagging area thinks you didn't bag your item. So then it locks up and will not proceed until the cashier in the self check out area resets your station?

I can get through a self-checkout register MUCH, MUCH quicker then a staffed register. You just need to know how to use the machine (and what you *don't* need to wait for).

1) Walk up to the machine and immediately start scanning items, ignoring anything it's trying to say. No, you don't actually need to select your language; it'll assume english.
2) When putting small, light items in your bag, give the rail holding the bag a light smack as you drop the item. This will prevent almost all "didn't bag the item" errors.
3) If you're paying by plastic, when done bagging, click 'finish and pay' and immediately swipe your card ignoring any payment selection screen. It'll get the memo when it sees the card. If it asks for your pin but you want to use credit, just click 'cancel' on the pin pad and it'll then prompt for a signature.

If I only have a few items I can use the self-checkout machine and be out of the store in under 30 seconds.

/M

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I thought all HD had self checkouts?

It depends on what you're buying. A lot of the stuff people get at Home Depot isn't suited for self-checkout. Try using it for 20 bags of mulch.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to mackey

said by mackey:

said by Ghastlyone:

What's funny is, it usually takes longer to go through a self checkout stand then having an actual cashier ring your crap up.

Like when you scan an item yourself and the bagging area thinks you didn't bag your item. So then it locks up and will not proceed until the cashier in the self check out area resets your station?

I can get through a self-checkout register MUCH, MUCH quicker then a staffed register. You just need to know how to use the machine (and what you *don't* need to wait for).

1) Walk up to the machine and immediately start scanning items, ignoring anything it's trying to say. No, you don't actually need to select your language; it'll assume english.
2) When putting small, light items in your bag, give the rail holding the bag a light smack as you drop the item. This will prevent almost all "didn't bag the item" errors.
3) If you're paying by plastic, when done bagging, click 'finish and pay' and immediately swipe your card ignoring any payment selection screen. It'll get the memo when it sees the card. If it asks for your pin but you want to use credit, just click 'cancel' on the pin pad and it'll then prompt for a signature.

If I only have a few items I can use the self-checkout machine and be out of the store in under 30 seconds.

/M

This is how I do it I can swipe my card before they speak swipe your card.. I do the same at the food store because that speaker is extra loud and I like to show off because it does not take 5 min to bag 5 items..

Self checkout at the food store I can be done in about a minute depending what I buy but it's mostly under 3 items.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

said by cowboyro:

They don't have self-checkout stands there???

said by thegeek:

Of course they do. Are you going to go through a self check out stand with 40 items though? What about people that purchase hardware like nuts and bolts, etc? You'll be standing there all day looking these items up.

Bolts these days are typically marked with a three-character code on the head, so no lookups are required; dunno about nuts, though.

I'm in the habit of using self-check whenever it's available, but you may be right; I should probably go ahead and just use a cashier if one is open.

The "didn't bag" thing is my personal demon. I always bag, or otherwise place the item on the bagging scale if it's too large. But I invariably get the "attendant notified" message at some point during the transaction - and the attendants almost invariably (probably 90% of the time) just do the reset without coming anywhere near me, or even looking in my direction, as far as I can tell.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

The washers at the cashier they match the washer size to a chart.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to scross

said by scross:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by cowboyro:

They don't have self-checkout stands there???

said by thegeek:

Of course they do. Are you going to go through a self check out stand with 40 items though? What about people that purchase hardware like nuts and bolts, etc? You'll be standing there all day looking these items up.

Bolts these days are typically marked with a three-character code on the head, so no lookups are required; dunno about nuts, though.

I'm in the habit of using self-check whenever it's available, but you may be right; I should probably go ahead and just use a cashier if one is open.

The "didn't bag" thing is my personal demon. I always bag, or otherwise place the item on the bagging scale if it's too large. But I invariably get the "attendant notified" message at some point during the transaction - and the attendants almost invariably (probably 90% of the time) just do the reset without coming anywhere near me, or even looking in my direction, as far as I can tell.

That is sad.
Who does not have cell phone these days? When I buy nuts and bolts I write the item number and quantity in my cell phone.

At checkout, I just show the cashier and she quickly types it in.

You have to be stupid to walk up to the register with a bunch of nuts and bolts with no item numbers.
If you are really in a hurry with no cell phone or pen/paper. You can ask the service desk to loan you a pen/paper to write down the items numbers and quanities as you go along.
Or you can even buy a pen and mini notebook then do your shopping.
They are supposed to have those bags and a pen, but for some reasons the pen is always missing from the chain.
--

scross

Cordova, TN

said by r81984:

That is sad.
Who does not have cell phone these days? When I buy nuts and bolts I write the item number and quantity in my cell phone.

At checkout, I just show the cashier and she quickly types it in.

You have to be stupid to walk up to the register with a bunch of nuts and bolts with no item numbers.
If you are really in a hurry with no cell phone or pen/paper. You can ask the service desk to loan you a pen/paper to write down the items numbers and quanities as you go along.
Or you can even buy a pen and mini notebook then do your shopping.
They are supposed to have those bags and a pen, but for some reasons the pen is always missing from the chain.

There are a couple of smaller hardware stores locally who do the pen-and-paper thing; in fact, not too long ago one of the cashiers there got kind of huffy with me because I had failed to do this for a couple of items, while others don't seem to care. On the other hand, the last time I was in a big-box home improvement store and tried to find something to write stock numbers and prices down with, I was told not to bother because it would be handled up front. This was the same person who told be about the codes on top of the bolt heads.

Now about those codes: It is fairly standard practice in the industry to mark bolt heads and nuts in such a way as to indicate their construction and strength. So I was a bit surprised to find them marked instead for inventory purposes, unless maybe these markings are standardized and are serving a dual-purpose.

»www.lippincottsupply.com/bolt-nut_ident.pdf

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Subaru

its possible the numbers on bolts are now served like the tried and true PLU system used for produce. PLUs are the same in every single supermarket, Bananas in NJ will the same PLU as they do in CA.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to scross

I know about about grade markings, anyone in the construction or manufacturing world knows about grade markings. It IS standard practice for ISO, ASTM, SAE to use for any type of construction.
8 and 5 have markings, 2 has nothing.
Then you need to know the size.

Sure the cashier can spend time using a size gage and looking at the markings, but it saves alot of time just to have the item number ready.
Home depot has the bags and pens on chains to write the item numbers, but most of the time the pens are missing.

It is common courtesy to the cashier and those in line behind you to make a list and have it ready at checkout to save time. You can do this on your cell phone.
I cant believe people think it is OK to just take bolts to the cashier without having the item number ready.

Things like this is why people get frustrated waiting in line when they have to wait behind people who dont care about moving quickly.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I've never seen the bag and pen at HD but I saw it and lowes and used it for two lag bolts.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

Stores do not put self-checkouts in to save time, they do it to reduce manpower.

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to Subaru

I'm pretty sure it was HD where the guy told me not to bother, that they would just key in the codes off the head of the bolts. I don't remember ever writing anything down at Lowe's, either, but I may have. Ace Hardware was the place ("Ace Is The Place ...") where the salesclerk got testy with me because I missed writing down a couple of items. There is another former Ace (it has long since changed hands to local ownership) which has plenty of pens and paper and bags, but they don't usually get too chuffed if you don't use this system. Most of the employees have been there forever and are of a certain age, so they probably know their inventory by heart - unlike those places which have constant turnover.