SNT
Premium Member
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL

SNT to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek

Re: [Rant] Home Depot

That was just the final straw. There are other reasons why I prefer Lowes, but that was the clincher.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to SNT

Premium Member

to SNT
said by SNT:

Last time I was in Home Depot, I was having a hard time locating one of those flatbed carts. I eventually asked one of the monkeys in orange and he said, "I don't know, you just have to look around." I told him that I would look in Lowes.
I haven't been back since.

you should start a new thread on this story.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

1 edit

scross to thegeek

to thegeek
My wife and I both still complain to each other about an event which happened years ago at Wal-Mart. They were doing some kind of huge inventory count there, and when we got there were no carts to be had. Most of them had been commandeered by the inventory folks and were sitting in the aisles chock full of merchandise - so they were both unavailable AND blocking the aisles. A relative few were being used by other customers. But the only available ones were sitting out in the parking lot - in the pouring rain! So if you wanted one you had to go back out in the rain to get it, and then you still had to deal with a soaking wet cart. So I went and got one and dried it off as best as I could.

Every time we got close to one of those inventory carts I was sorely tempted to just dump everything in it into the wet cart and take the dry one, but I never actually did; we just grumbled about it instead. But now whenever my wife or I end up with a cart that is noisy or has a bad wheel or something, the other often says "Stop complaining! At least you got a cart - AND IT'S DRY!"

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

1 edit

bitemeboy

said by scross:

My wife and I both still complain to each other about an event which happened years ago at Wal-Mart. They were doing some kind of huge inventory count there, and when we got there were no carts to be had. Most of them had been commandeered by the inventory folks and were sitting in the aisles chock full of merchandise - so they were both unavailable AND blocking the aisles. A relative few were being used by other customers. But the only available ones were pouring rain! So if you wanted one you had to go back out in the rain to get it, and then you still had to deal with a soaking wet cart. So I went and got one and dried it off as best as I could.

Every time we got close to one of those inventory carts I was sorely tempted to just dump everything in it into the wet cart and take the dry one, but I never actually did; we just grumbled about it instead. But now whenever my wife or I end up with a cart that is noisy or has a bad wheel or something, the other often says "Stop complaining! At least you got a cart - AND IT'S DRY!"

I didn't see the word "MANAGER" anywhere in your post. So let me get this straight. You did their job for them on a number of levels and it was so enjoyable, you still sit around and reminisce about it.

I would have voted you "Employee Of The Year".

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

I don't have time to talk to a manager or customer service. I am not an unpaid quality assurance officer. If a store is not up to my standards, I leave and don't come back.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:

But now whenever my wife or I end up with a cart that is noisy or has a bad wheel or something, the other often says "Stop complaining! At least you got a cart - AND IT'S DRY!"

This is funny because last night my wife and I went to Walmart. The cart she grabbed had a bad wheel and pulled to the side. she dealt with it for a couple minutes then saw an empty cart just sitting in the middle of the store. I told her not to bother changing carts because the reason that cart was probably sitting there was because it was bad. She didn't listen and changed carts. The new cart had the same bad wheel plus it squeaked. We were only getting a couple items so we just carried our shit instead from that point on.

Fobulous
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX

Fobulous to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
The local Home Depot never had issues that you described. Maybe it's a Northeast thing...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

could be.. I never had any issues with Lowes or Home depot in NC

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to scross

MVM

to scross
said by scross:

said by Hall:

Are they *priced* individually ? I presume they are, otherwise, they'd still be "4011" and weight-based.

I happened to stop at a Kroger quick-mart last night, and I saw that they had a basket of these individual bananas by the register. No 4011 that I could see, but each banana had its own UPC barcode sticker on it. I never did see a price, though. IIRC, it was at a Target grocery department where my wife first pointed out such "single serving" bananas to me.

There may be an excellent reason why they're doing this, too. I forget the details, but there is some biological or environmental reason (maybe some kind of blight) why the variety of bananas that we've all gotten used to eating will soon be in short supply. Perhaps this is already happening and they are having to stretch the supply, since I know that whenever we buy a bunch of bananas, too many of them typically just get tossed when they start to go bad.

For folks who only want a couple of them - impulse buy item. Teh banana issue is not preventing Sam;s from having 3 lb bundles or from Kroger's having a shelf full of them. Prices for bananas has not skyrocketed so I think they are still plentiful...

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

If you only want 2-3 bananas, just break that many off of the bunch.

There is at least one issue involving bananas and a mold or fungus that's damaging them. As for the price, I remember not that long ago that (around here), a pound of bananas was $0.25/lb. Now, they're always in the $0.49/lb range.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by Hall:

There is at least one issue involving bananas and a mold or fungus that's damaging them. As for the price, I remember not that long ago that (around here), a pound of bananas was $0.25/lb. Now, they're always in the $0.49/lb range.

Banana's don't grow on trees, they need to be gathered and refined in factories. Though there are many Banana refining factories, many of them have been shut down because they are unprofitable.

Its the life of a Banana.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

This is the life of bananas.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· PWMaNaIM
Expand your moderator at work

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to hitachi369

Premium Member

to hitachi369

Re: [Rant] Home Depot

said by hitachi369:

said by Hall:

Banana's don't grow on trees, they need to be gathered and refined in factories. Though there are many Banana refining factories, many of them have been shut down because they are unprofitable.

I heard there was a tidal wave or a monsoon that closed some of the factories causing a run on Banananas

SNT
Premium Member
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL

SNT to hitachi369

Premium Member

to hitachi369

said by hitachi369 See Profile
Banana's don't grow on trees

You're right. They actually grow on plants
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to hitachi369

Premium Member

to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

The Coke guy decided what to bring in and what to stock. They don't look at the stores internal invetory systems. Coke has there own employees stock and manage the inventory.

No doubt, a privilege they pay for when they buy the shelf space...
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to scross

Premium Member

to scross
Target sells bananas individually (39 cents each here) because their cashiers are unable to weigh produce. Haven't you noticed that no produce in Target is sold by the pound? Target sells red bell peppers by a set price per red pepper no matter how big or small it is. The same with other produce that is not sold already packaged like a pound of fresh mushrooms that would come already packaged.

A cashier here told me that she and other Target cashiers love this system. Target bananas are a big loss leader for the stores in Hawaii as all other stores sell bananas at $1.39 a pound or higher (even stores in East Hawaii, Big Island where the bananas are grown)! So, as long as Target has big bananas you get a bargain buying them there. Of course, they put the grocery as far from the entrance to the store as possible and in a huge Target like our it is a long walk just to save money on bananas! Each one does have a sticker and bar code indicating it is a locally grown banana. Certain times of the year, Target has to bring them in from South American and then they have a Dole sticker on them and most folks don't want them (different variety than our local bananas).
Mele20

Mele20 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

said by scross:

But now whenever my wife or I end up with a cart that is noisy or has a bad wheel or something, the other often says "Stop complaining! At least you got a cart - AND IT'S DRY!"

This is funny because last night my wife and I went to Walmart. The cart she grabbed had a bad wheel and pulled to the side. she dealt with it for a couple minutes then saw an empty cart just sitting in the middle of the store. I told her not to bother changing carts because the reason that cart was probably sitting there was because it was bad. She didn't listen and changed carts. The new cart had the same bad wheel plus it squeaked. We were only getting a couple items so we just carried our shit instead from that point on.

Here, what happens is no mini wagons available as they are extremely popular and the stores don't have a lot of them because they want to force you to use the giant wagons in hope you will buy more (stupid reasoning I think). So, I am always looking for a mini wagon and I found one in Safeway produce section a few days ago (tons of gigantic wagons outside by the entrance but no mini ones). I put all this heavy produce that I had in my hands in the mini wagon I found and then it wouldn't move. Wheel was locked. That happens frequently at both Safeway and Target here that share a new shopping center. I guess a lot of people still try to wheel them (especially the popular mini ones) off the lot and when they try that the wheels lock so they can't. I ended up just trying to carry my items in my hands. These stores that don't have enough miniwagons lose business as I will buy only how ever much I can carry in my hands as I refuse to ever use those horrible gigantic wagons.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Target sells bananas individually (39 cents each here) because their cashiers are unable to weigh produce. Haven't you noticed that no produce in Target is sold by the pound? Target sells red bell peppers by a set price per red pepper no matter how big or small it is. The same with other produce that is not sold already packaged like a pound of fresh mushrooms that would come already packaged.

Are you talking about just Hawaii?
The Target I worked at we sold produce by the pound. (Including bananas, bell peppers, and some mushrooms)
I wish they had that system when I worked there because when someone had a lot of weird crap to weigh and I would dig in the book to find number it really slowed me down.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I thought Target had this system everywhere...but maybe it is just in the Hawaii stores. Yeah, the cashiers love the system and I think customers like it too because we don't have to wait while the cashier looks up some odd type of produce for the code. But then these days, most produce has a sticker on every piece that has a bar code and that is scanned by the cashier. Of course, the stickers fall off sometimes but usually they are on every piece of produce except something like fresh Shitake mushrooms sold loose and the sticker is not a sticker on bunches of Kale, for instance, but is part of the tie that the produce department puts around the Kale bunch. So, a lot of looking up codes for esoteric produce isn't needed whether sold by the pound, bunch, or individually. There is still some of that though. I like "esoteric" produce so in other stores I may get a "what is this"? from the cashier and I tell them and tell them the price, and used to they would just take my word for it (I'm known in the stores...not a big city), but these days they can't enter the price but need the code for the item so I have to wait while they look it up.

I was in Target today and bananas had dropped to 29 cents each! Still $1.29 to $1.39 a pound at other stores (all local bananas). Maybe Target is using them as a "loss leader".

I found this Googling: »alloveralbany.com/archiv ··· fferings

Our Target opened last summer and is the first one in Hawaii to have the Target P-Fresh Department. The link above has lots of pictures and shows bananas for sale at 24 cents per banana. I recall Target said the P-Fresh Department was to be in only some Targets just like our new Safeway (which holds a joint lease with Target) is a Lifestyle Safeway and only some Safeways are Lifestyle stores.