uniqs

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

[Rant] Burgers at Sobey's, now with improved fillers

So the reason I was going to Sobey's was because they were one of the last places where you can get sirloin burgers with no added fillers to it but today low and behold the same sirloin burgers now have a New and Improved recipe, what's in this new and improved recipe, high fructose corn syrup laced bread crumbs. Yeap, less meat and more addicted filling shit for the same price. The sad part is that this is what what the food industry calls an improvement.

The only thing that this will improve will be their profits. Shame on you Sobey's

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

said by Stewy6:

The only thing that this will improve will be their profits. Shame on you Sobey's

Are there really any other kind of improvements?

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
I give you a hint... go to a real butcher for your meat needs. It sounds crazy but going to Bruno's or a similar place (Helindas in Oshawa!) makes all the difference.

Or, just make your own, it's not that hard really was amazed at how easy it is... sad isn't it.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
said by Stewy6:

The sad part is that this is what what the food industry calls an improvement.

Bizarre timing too, what with all the attention directed at 'filler' and 'pink slime'. You'd think someone would want to advertise that they don't use filler.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Stewy6

to Stewy6
Zehrs still has 100% fresh beef burgers (no additives or fillers) in the fresh meat section. M & M's also has a 100% beef burger (no additives or fillers).

thebaron
Premium Member
Zegema Beach

1 recommendation

thebaron to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
Why not just buy ground beef and make your own patties?

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

1 recommendation

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by thebaron:

Why not just buy ground beef and make your own patties?

Excellent idea.. You can also add your own fillers or just spices to them.. Black pepper and finely chopped onions make a good combination. Another good recipe:

1) Take a 50/50 mix of ground beef and pork (you can go one type meat only, but I like this combo)

2) Black pepper and MSG (or salt) to taste

3) 1-2 cloves of garlic per lb

4) Crushed chillies are optional but I like'em

4.5) Some people add a bit of baking soda to make'em plump but I don't like it because it makes'em rubbery

5) Mix well, leave overnight, make patties, grill

Prep time: 15min including making the patties

Other good additives to ground meat mixes:

1) Teriyaki sauce (suits North American tastes well, I don't like my meat sweet, so I'll take a pass)

2) Sesame oil (a little goes a long way, too much overpowers the meat)

3) Soya sauce (I prefer using straight up salt or MSG but some people like the flavour)

4) Finely chopped mushrooms (adds another dimension of flavour, reduces fat, just don't add too much or the burgers fall apart on you)

5) Shredded cheese (kashkaval or aged cheddar) and FINELY chopped smoked ham/bacon (also be careful with adding too much or they lose integrity) - this can go into that 5 step recipe quite nicely

thebaron
Premium Member
Zegema Beach

1 recommendation

thebaron

Premium Member

I keep it simple:

1lb of ground beef
1 egg
handful of breadcrumbs or crushed soda crackers
Worcestershire Sauce to taste
Pepper to Taste
HP sauce to taste

Mash all together in a large bowl and make patties. If you aren't going to eat it all, pre-make patties, separate them with sheets of wax paper, ziploc and freeze.

Cheaper than anything you will ever be able to find in any grocery store pre-made.

To be honest, I don't understand why anyone buys pre-made, it's so expensive and you can make much better yourself.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
Go to Costco. It's pretty much the cheapest place to buy Ground Beef, and they charge the same price for their fresh 100% beef burgers.

Just make room in your freezer first if you're not feeding two families

Myself, I just use Ground Beef, Worchestershire Sauce, Salt and Pepper, and sometimes some bread crumbs to keep it together.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to DKS

to DKS
I'm in the opposite boat, im looking for burgers with fillers, which ones are the best? preferably more filler than meat?

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by Pauly:

I'm in the opposite boat, im looking for burgers with fillers, which ones are the best? preferably more filler than meat?

Anything from the frozen section at your local Wal-Mart.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

i buy the Tasty Burgers from M&Ms...likely full of filler, but they are tasty (hence their name)...aside from the "profits" comment, fillers are also used to enhance flavour or texture.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

Yeah, the tasty burgers are loaded with fillers, but they do taste good.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i have had the fresh costco burger patties, and they are good...just realize you get a lot of them.

Onemeg
join:2002-04-27
Grimsby, ON

Onemeg to Stewy6

to Stewy6
»homehardware.ca/products ··· 8941.jpg

This is great for making patties for the freezer.

Just add whatever you want to the ground meat, fill up one of these and with a little bit of pressure, you have a great little pattie.

Works like a charm.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
Tried Sesame oil and liked it, a few drops is enough.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to thebaron

Premium Member

to thebaron
said by thebaron:

I keep it simple:

1lb of ground beef
1 egg
Pepper to Taste
HP sauce to taste

Mash all together in a large bowl and make patties. If you aren't going to eat it all, pre-make patties, separate them with sheets of wax paper, ziploc and freeze.

Cheaper than anything you will ever be able to find in any grocery store pre-made.

To be honest, I don't understand why anyone buys pre-made, it's so expensive and you can make much better yourself.

that's my trademark recipe, you owe me !

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
The last batch of burgers included Jerk sauce, one batch came out awesome, very jerky the other much milder .

Also try with liquid smoke. Mmmmmmm

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer0 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

nobody owes you anything...it was downloaded off the interwebs, therefore everyone is entitled to it for free...isn't that how it works?

thebaron
Premium Member
Zegema Beach

thebaron to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

said by thebaron:

I keep it simple:

1lb of ground beef
1 egg
Pepper to Taste
HP sauce to taste

How about a burger and we're even? Sound about right? Haha

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Deal!

This is easy, no wonder so many are doing this as a business model!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
said by Stewy6:

So the reason I was going to Sobey's was because they were one of the last places where you can get sirloin burgers with no added fillers to it but today low and behold the same sirloin burgers now have a New and Improved recipe, what's in this new and improved recipe, high fructose corn syrup laced bread crumbs. Yeap, less meat and more addicted filling shit for the same price. The sad part is that this is what what the food industry calls an improvement.

Real shame indeed, because their pre-boxed store-bought burgers were probably the best out there.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
I don't get it, and mz lurker will chime initial she's around.

Why are you buying pre made burgers? My dad fought me his recipe (used to put in homemade wine, the flavour....), I make my own also.

Store boughts are sameo every single time (unless it's been improved ). The basics for me don't change, but I'm always experimenting with the recipe, neighbours smell it cooking, come over and salavitate

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
I keep my recipe simple... 100% lean ground beef, spiced with Montreal steak spice. Cover in BBQ sauce when almost done, and apply a slice of cheese. Slice or two of bacon on top of that is optional. Then top with whatever toppings you want.

Dang it, I want a burger now.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

i go one step further, and put the cheeze inside the ground beaf itself and grind it all together tastes good

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to Stewy6

Premium Member

to Stewy6
I'm with the others, make your own. I do usually half turkey and half lean ground beef, but have in the past done beef/pork/veal - very tasty.

1.5 lbs meat
1 egg
garlic pepper (black pepper, powdered garlic mix)
seasoned salt

I tend to mix up a batch and freeze them so they're handy. I have a whack of the old tupperware hamburger keepers so they stack up nicely in the freezer. If making them fresh when having people over you do need to add a few breadcrumbs to hold them together. When doing fresh I would then use fresh garlic in the above.

And speaking of different recipes my father used to make cheese, onion and olive burgers (he loved weird combinations) but they were really quite good. I've also done homemade salsa and cheese in burgers and they're pretty good as well. Oh, and if you don't have breadcrumbs handy, I've used quick oats as a filler (usually use them for meatloaf but it will do for burgers).