Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101

Re: More HD channels coming by October.

Doesn't the feed come from Verizon? Or is Frontier in command of getting its own channels? If it's from Verizon, they can't just cut off SD channels without Frontier also replacing SD boxes.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
The Verizon VHOs 10 (IN), 12 (OR) and 13 (WA) were sold to Frontier. Does the Verizon SHE still feed them too? Even if it does, Verizon could stop providing SD feeds to it's own VHOs if it moved to HD only but continue to provide the Frontier VHOs with an SD feed via the backbone network.

FullOpinions

@comcast.net
reply to Greg2600
I'm confused, everyone saying that Verizon won't switch to MPEG4 because it will require killing all of the 6xxx line boxes, but this can be alleviated by the use of channel packages that already exist. What's the difference if I don't get the Food Network because my package is X rather then Y, the channel comes up with a to order call 800-555-1234 message. I don't get the channel, why do I care if it's MPEG2 VS 4? If I want the channel I order it and Verizon swaps out the box for ME, and I pay additionally for the extra channels because of the package I subscribe too. My dad doesn't care about this package vs that package, he just watches the basic channels and none of the premium ones, people like that get the 6xxx series box and the channels that they can't get move to MPEG4 with the other more expensive plans. How many of our senior citizens are really using all of the premium channels? Give the people with basic plans the 6xxx series (I'm sure there is plenty of them) and the people that order Extreme/Ultimate HD TV the better boxes with the ability to watch MPEG4.

How is this NOT a win-win? It's bad enough that we have to pay a fee to watch per TV now where before the basic channels pop up on a regular TV without a box, but now we keep getting less and less and paying more and more. If our bill is going to keep rising, they should be providing MORE HD content, and using more common sense, with the extra money they get from us!

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Doesn't the feed come from Verizon? Or is Frontier in command of getting its own channels? If it's from Verizon, they can't just cut off SD channels without Frontier also replacing SD boxes.

Nope. Once Verizon sold off the properties to Frontier, all those customers began getting feeds from Frontier's SHE(s) and VHO's. Verizon has not provided any programming or network support to Frontier after the original transition period ended.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by nycdave:

Frontier, all those customers began getting feeds from Frontier's SHE(s) and VHO's. Verizon has not provided any programming or network support to Frontier after the original transition period ended.

People I know within Frontier (former Verizon) tell me they will be bankrupt within 2 years. Supply and demand along with price just not matching up...