Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to vladdsl

Re: Strange speed test result for Cisco DPC3825 modem

I'll assume that your connectivity for your tests are as follows:

[A] Cisco DPC3825 --->> Your PC -->> 40-45 Mb/s

[B] Cisco DPC3825 --->> Netgear WNDR3700 -->> Your PC -->> 75-80Mb/s

[A] gets a different IP address than [B] so the difference in Speeds may be related to the IP addresses assigned and the segments associated with the IP address.

I suggest that you run at least 3 tests and make sure to select the speedtest server that is located in Toronto and see how the results match up.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

vladdsl

join:2012-07-13
Yes, that's my setup.

[A] getting Rogers IP address
[B] getting IP address from the router
Did run the test several times on different laptops.

Had a technician from Rogers this afternoon at my place. Found all the signals to be OK. Replaced the modem and now I'm getting:

[A] Cisco DPC3825 --->> Your PC -->> 35-40 Mb/s

[B] Cisco DPC3825 --->> Netgear WNDR3700 -->> Your PC -->> 65-70 Mb/s

Asked him to put the old one back but he said to call the office and they should be able to resolve this.

Called the Rogers back. They scheduled another appointment with the technician that is going to bring his own computer, looks like they don't trust mine.
I didn't tell them that it's faster with router though, just want them to fix the [A] first.
But still don't understand why the speed is faster with router.

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to vladdsl
In [A] the IP Address your PC is picking up is associated to a specific segment
In [B] the IP ADDRESS your router is picking up is associated to a specific segment. -- so it does not matter that your router is dishing out a IP ADDRESS to your PC but it does matter if the IP address that your router picks up is on a faster segment

So it's a Rogers issue in how IP addresses are dished out and their associated segments -- some segments may be more congested which generally means slower speeds. This may be what you're experiencing .... Hopefully you will get a technician that understands how Rogers IP addresses are dished out in relationship to their segmentation schema ... But I suspect not because I believe that IP addresses are assigned by some random method. Naturally you want to be on the fastest segment in your area but apparently there is no guaranty that you will be .. It's a crap shoot unless Rogers can force an assignment somehow.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

vladdsl

David, thanks a lot for clarification.
Now I see that my pc and router pick up different IP addresses from different subnets. Does it mean that even if they fix it for [A], it may become slow for [B] since it's hit-or-miss? Unless they can assign a static IP address for the modem?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by vladdsl:

Does it mean that even if they fix it for [A], it may become slow for [B] since it's hit-or-miss? Unless they can assign a static IP address for the modem?

Yes, that is correct assuming that the static IP address is associated with the faster segment.
BUT a static IP address does not guaranteed that you will be on the fastest segment because their networks are constantly changing [adding customers etc.] But with the right infrastructure they can control how speeds [bandwidth] is managed for each of their segments --- so it all depends on how they [Rogers] are modernizing their equipment for your specific area.

So yes, you just have to be patient and hope that the Rogers infrastructure that manages your area is being upgraded to deal with the kind of issue that you are experiencing --- at some point it will balance itself out.

The technician that will be coming to your home [to analyse] will report his findings to Rogers and Rogers will try to make adjustments to fix your issue assuming Rogers do have the upgraded systems in place.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

vladdsl

Thanks David. Looks like I shouldn't even have raised this issue with Rogers since I'm going to use it with the router [B] anyway.
This is what I'm getting this morning through the router:

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
Very nice test. You should call them and cancel the service call ... Certainly looks like your modem/Router are on an excellent segment. Enjoy