how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON

[Rant] Non-stop harassment from a collection agency

For the last six months or so, I've been getting non-stop harassment from a scumbag collection agency for some debt that isn't even mine. The one in question is 'Credit Bureau Collections Ltd' and they're looking for someone I don't know. I always ignored the blocked number calls up until the other night. When I called them on their harassment and the blocked calls they just gave me the usual horse shit response. "This is the number we have on file" as well as "that's how we do things" when I asked them why they're blocking their number. I screamed at the stupid cow on the other end of the line, telling her to stop calling, but she said the calls will continue and to have a nice night before hanging up.

What can I do? They're blocking their number so there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the way of proof of their harassment.

I just checked my call history and they've called twice again today.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Uh, don't answer calls that are blocked...?

I never do, and have my phone set to ignore them.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
reply to LondonOntGuy
Do they have a number to call them like a main office? I would give them a call, ask them to stop calling your number and threaten to file a complaint for harassment.

NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to LondonOntGuy
said by LondonOntGuy:

For the last six months or so, I've been getting non-stop harassment from a scumbag collection agency for some debt that isn't even mine. The one in question is 'Credit Bureau Collections Ltd' and they're looking for someone I don't know. I always ignored the blocked number calls up until the other night. When I called them on their harassment and the blocked calls they just gave me the usual horse shit response. "This is the number we have on file" as well as "that's how we do things" when I asked them why they're blocking their number. I screamed at the stupid cow on the other end of the line, telling her to stop calling, but she said the calls will continue and to have a nice night before hanging up.

What can I do? They're blocking their number so there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the way of proof of their harassment.

I just checked my call history and they've called twice again today.

Next time they call, tell them again that you are not the debtor. Then remind them that is against the law for them to contact you once they know, or ought to know, that you are not the debtor. Advise them if they call again, you will file a complaint with the Registrar of Collection Agencies.

Micha3615

join:2004-08-21
Mississauga, ON
reply to LondonOntGuy
This is the place: »www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/default.aspx

File a complain against them, this is the only they will learn.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to LondonOntGuy
I had that years ago with a family member (last name isn't common, first initial is the same). The guy called constantly at a time when I was home sick, trying to rest. He made a mistake the one time I didn't answer and left a return call number (I recognized the voice) for a fake reason. I called him back, told him if I heard from him again, I'll contact the police. It worked, but I agree, it's annoying.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
reply to LondonOntGuy
Ask them to send you something in writting, then reply with a registered mail that you are not the person who owes the debt and dispute the charges made against you.

Also tell them not to contact you any further, and if they feel it's a mistake to take the matter to court.

Read this over and maybe make a complaint: »www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf···149.html

Also keep track of when and how they contacted you. So if they are dumb enough to take you to court you can file a claim against them asking for financial compensation.
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X

crazycanuck

@teksavvy.com
reply to LondonOntGuy
yeah file a complaint. Trust me if you threaten to file a complaint and remind them they could lose their licence they will either stop or slow down.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to LondonOntGuy
»www.cbcollections.com/contact_us.html

oddly enough, they say they don't collect in London ON.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
reply to LondonOntGuy
Lawyer and a Cease and Desist Letter and hope they listen.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

Next time they call, tell them again that you are not the debtor. Then remind them that is against the law for them to contact you once they know, or ought to know, that you are not the debtor. Advise them if they call again, you will file a complaint with the Registrar of Collection Agencies.

good to know...i too was getting some annoying calls (although not harassing) from 2 agencies about some guy with the same last name as mine, although his first name was Justin, not Jeff...i must have spoken to them 10 times in total...they haven't called recently, so maybe they finally "got it" that i am not the one they are looking for.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to LondonOntGuy

Several valid suggestions have been made already, but MY main question would be :

"Why was it that you answer these calls ?"

However, it brings to mind that this might be a good time for you to try out a reputable VoIP provider like CallCentric or VOIP.MS (and port your number there), as they each have ways to filter and reject calls either by specific phone number, and/or the unknown ones.

Your phone would never even ring, and you could set an outgoing tone signal that your number had been disco'd, just for them.

It's very easy to admin thru the web, and would save you some bucks besides.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

XaXiS

join:2009-08-15
Canada Eh
reply to LondonOntGuy
What I typically do is waste their time so they have to hang up on ME. Usually includes various fake accents or I repeat exactly what they say. Back in 97 my sister got behind in her bills and an agency kept calling. One agent said "We are the type of agency that shows up and break legs". The guy got fired and the agency had a massive complaint against them.

thebaron
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Stittsville, ON
reply to LondonOntGuy
You could always just pay off the guys debt

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to LondonOntGuy
Oh, for heaven's sake! I got a couple of collection calls once for someone I'd never heard of due to a case of mistaken identity or address or whatever. When I explained that I wasn't the person in question they apologized and never called again. This agency is scum. Report them as per the advice from NCRGuy See Profile, but make sure you have a record of the calls (i.e.- when, what was said.) If you feel charitable, warn them just once.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to BonezX
said by BonezX:

»www.cbcollections.com/contact_us.html

oddly enough, they say they don't collect in London ON.

Re-read...they'll do collections for people living anywhere:

quote:
Regardless of where your customer is located, we will work hard to recover what is owed to you. On the local scene we provide regional collection agency services to the following communities: Barrie, Bracebridge, Collingwood, Midland, Orillia, Peterborough, Lindsay, Haliburton, Bancroft, North Hastings, Muskoka, and Parry Sound.
I imagine the local agency have people actually knocking on your door.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL
reply to LondonOntGuy
I have gotten calls before. I have calmly explained that I am not who they say I am, and they have moved on. Knock on wood I haven't had any major issue.
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to LondonOntGuy
Ignoring blocked numbers is silly, hospitals call you from blocked numbers all the time.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
said by Spike:

Ignoring blocked numbers is silly, hospitals call you from blocked numbers all the time.

Really? Or, is that your situation?

If that's the case, I guess they'll leave a vmail if it's important...
--

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to LondonOntGuy
Would there even be enough proof that they're harassing me when calling from a blocked number? Even when I try the 'call block' option my phone (*60) it will tell me "the number of the last party is unavailable".

I shouldn't have to pay to send off a registered "piss off I'm not the one you're looking for" letter just to get them to stop calling. Even then, they'll just start up again looking for another person with my last name. - I guess that's their strategy, call everyone who's last name is "Smith". This time it's "Michael" a few months ago it was "Trevor" and so on.

I'm surprised that collection agencies are even allowed to use the blocked number option. And if they are so legit, why would they have to block their number? Something is definitely strange.

I know they're not India based scammers because the girl spoke perfect English with no accent at all. - She sounded White if that matters at all.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

said by Spike:

Really? Or, is that your situation?

If that's the case, I guess they'll leave a vmail if it's important...

Most hospital internal extensions often block numbers on outgoing calls. I know it entirely depends on their setup. Numbers are not commonly blocked if its their secretary calling you.

Its common in Toronto, and everywhere else I've lived.

Things *can* be urgent enough that they want to talk to you, not your voicemail.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
What I'm saying is, you must have someone in the hospital. If that's the case, fine. Answer it. Otherwise...

And, they do leave vmails.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to LondonOntGuy
The phone company knows the number being used, regardless of caller ID blocking. If you file a harassment complaint with the police, they can release that information. So it said in the back of a Bell phone book last time I checked a few years ago.

Do we not have any equivalent to the Americans' Fair Debt Collection Practices Act? For the US, it has provisions to prevent all these sorts of problems, and if the collector continues to harass, you can ask a judge to award you $1000 per incident (per call, in other words). Do we have no equivalent of that?

Stupid internet, making me more knowledgeable about US law than Canadian law...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Yea, I think it's *57 for the harassment calls. Works ONLY for the last number that called.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to Spike
said by Spike:

....Things *can* be urgent enough that they want to talk to you, not your voicemail.

I sympathize with your apparent situation.

That said, if someone wants to (maybe) talk to me on the phone, learn how to set your technology to BROADCAST YOUR NUMBER !

Unfortunately, Telemarketers, Collection Weasels, and other lowlife have ruined it for everyone else who uses the phone systems for legitimate reasons.

Now we must each do what we can.

MY method of choice is to drop/block calls with no CID sent, and to first look up online any sent numbers which I do not recognise, without taking the call, and then MAYBE calling back, depending upon what I discover on 800 Notes_com and similar sites.

And I do not enable Voice Mail on my lines.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to LondonOntGuy
I get several calls a day. Unless it is a local number I reach over pick up the phone and hang it right back up. 9 times out of 10 it is a computer. It has gotten to be a habit so that I just do it without thinking anymore.

Laidback

join:2001-09-30
Woodstock, ON
reply to Micha3615
+1

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Unfortunately, Telemarketers, Collection Weasels, and other lowlife have ruined it for everyone else who uses the phone systems for legitimate reasons.

This. Too many telemarketers and associated scum either block or spoof their numbers. If I don't recognize it, it goes to voicemail. If they don't leave a message then it wasn't important.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to Spike
said by Spike:

so does the police
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

This. Too many telemarketers and associated scum either block or spoof their numbers. If I don't recognize it, it goes to voicemail. If they don't leave a message then it wasn't important.

You're far too kind.

Even if I DID use voicemail, everything unknown, and/or broadcasting a toll-free would either go to 'the round file' with the special tone for a disconnected line, or be broadcast a chacophony of screaming monkees.

Bear in mind that I'm in 613 and not a local call from Ottawa, so that makes it a bit easier to manage without fear of losing many calls.

If talking to someone from whom I DO want to receive a call, I get them to tell me what number to expect on my CID, and if they cannot do that, then good luck.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !