uniqs

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

In the UK you will go to jail for Encryption

There was some surprise in the comments of yesterday’s post over the fact that the United Kingdom has effectively outlawed encryption: the UK will send its citizens to jail for up to five years if they cannot produce the key to an encrypted data set.

»falkvinge.net/2012/07/12 ··· ise-too/

The Law
»www.legislation.gov.uk/u ··· ction/53

What to do if Prosecuted for Sharing Cluture:STFU
»falkvinge.net/2012/07/11 ··· re-stfu/

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

With a good lawyer I think not. Although I think I understand the intent, I think

Cudni
tholly911
join:2012-05-30
Pasadena, TX

tholly911 to Name Game

to Name Game
Interesting articles. Thanks for posting.

The open wireless defense is interesting. Is there a log somewhere of when a user turns off their router's wireless capability? Could someone simply say they noticed performance issues on their computer and just recently discovered the wireless feature was enabled and as part of an ongoing troubleshooting effort turned it off? Just coincidence that the turning off time frame was right before the seizure of their "personal" computer. Even if such a log exists ... the intruder was obviously highly skilled and able to falsify the log.

Seems to me the courts are bullying the innocent and thus being top tier hypocrites. Innocent until proven guilty ... unless we find that inconvenient.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
I wonder if an open wireless defense would really work that well. Assuming the authorities have the IP address correct for a number of "violating" uploads, that would point to the accused's wireless unit. The defense contention would be that somebody else could have uploaded the copyrighted data over the accused's open wireless unit. But if the authorities also search the accused's system and find the identical material that was uploaded, the evidence that the accused was involved becomes, while perhaps not fully compelling, at least circumstantial.