wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

Microsoft Recommends Terminating Gadgets

Linky

Sorry for the repost. Didn't realize this has already been covered.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

Wife ain't giving up her gadgets....she even has a big ben widget thingie from Jacquie Lawson that blow out my ear drums.

»www.jacquielawson.com/quicksend

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to wxboss

said by wxboss:

Linky

personally, i don't see a problem with posting about an article that discusses an issue that has also been discussed in other articles.. i enjoyed reading the article and i thought it was pretty good, too..

p.s. i noticed that microsoft has fixed the problem where they had the "fixit's" for the gadgets/sidebar issue backwards..

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 recommendation

reply to wxboss

Looks like the issue is with third party gadgets.

wxboss
Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to redwolfe_98

I always search prior to posting a thread, but being deprived of my glasses, I overlooked the previous thread. :O I don't mind some 'reruns' but they can be annoying.

I guess now we have all been thoroughly advised about this issue
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Thank you for reposting As a result I just disabled the Sidebar from my Vista computer and plan to disable it from our Windows 7 pcs (although gadgets are not used on them). I liked having the weather gadget on my desktop but decided it wasn't worth the vulnerability.

Sincerely, Libra

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to wxboss

Why doesn't MS fix the security problems for Gadgets? I know people who use them. :/

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Much of this was already at: »Microsoft Security Advisory (2719662) antdude See Profile, MS is looking at the MS Fix-it's.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

That's hysterical. I have a subscription but have never downloaded that little number. In fact, I run very few gadgets but love Jacquie Lawson as a card site.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to Lagz

said by Lagz:

Exactly.
Gadgets created and developed by Microsoft however should remain supported... but this apparently will not be the case.
I think it just all comes down to knowing where you obtained your gadgets from and knowing if the developer is trusted to install them on your computer.
I have 4 gadgets myself.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

wxboss
Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by Dustyn:

said by Lagz:

Exactly.
Gadgets created and developed by Microsoft however should remain supported... but this apparently will not be the case.
I think it just all comes down to knowing where you obtained your gadgets from and knowing if the developer is trusted to install them on your computer.
I have 4 gadgets myself.

That's good advice whether it be a PC, tablet, smartphone...We are living in an age where trust is a privilege and needs to be earned.
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to wxboss

said by wxboss:

Linky

Great - I've had Windows 7 a little over a month and now this.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

wxboss
Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

I really like Windows 7, and this OS is not to blame. The blame falls on untrustworthy developers of third party gadgets. Like any program, app or gadget: The source needs to be a trusted one.

Enjoy your new OS! I do
--