uniqs

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm

Re: Clean install with Windows 8 Upgrade?

quote:
Can I do a "clean" install? Yes, you can, but not using the Upgrade Assistant.

Instead, here's what you'll want to do to format the hard drive before installing Windows 8 Pro.

Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40.
Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.
Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.
Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.
Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC.
Step 6: When you get to the screen in Setup that asks, "Which type of installation do you want?' choose "Custom."
Step 7: Select a disk partition for the OS in the next screen. At this point, you can create a new partition if there's enough space available, or reformat the drive.
Step 8: Continue with the installation of Windows 8 Pro.
»www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· Number=4

Surely they must provide a Windows 8 key?

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by chachazz:

quote:
Can I do a "clean" install? Yes, you can, but not using the Upgrade Assistant.

Instead, here's what you'll want to do to format the hard drive before installing Windows 8 Pro.

Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40.
Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.
Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.
Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.
Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC.
Step 6: When you get to the screen in Setup that asks, "Which type of installation do you want?' choose "Custom."
Step 7: Select a disk partition for the OS in the next screen. At this point, you can create a new partition if there's enough space available, or reformat the drive.
Step 8: Continue with the installation of Windows 8 Pro.
»www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· Number=4

Surely they must provide a Windows 8 key?

Just what I was hoping to here

Now the big question I will need to ask myself because of the great price and the fact that you can indeed do a clean install on an empty drive once you create the ISO from the upgrade assistant will it be an improvment over Windows 7?

From what I have read Windows 8 has nothing but improved as for as under the hood changes go. But can I get used to the new Metro Start menu and other UI changes?

My guess is I can

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

said by gate1975mlm:

From what I have read Windows 8 has nothing but improved as for as under the hood changes go. But can I get used to the new Metro Start menu and other UI changes?

My guess is I can

My guess is you can too. Since I've discovered that sidebar on the left, I've come to see the Metro menu more as a sort of pseudo virtual desktop program than a menu. The functionality is so close, I'm not sure why MS didn't go ahead and make it capable of running multiple actual desktops.