Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [Rant] Stop and Shop

So Stop and Pee is still in business?

I've found that Safeway (Spaceway) has the slowest freaking checkers. They have to stop and chat. I've told them to keep checking and I'll freaking bag - there's a line behind me. Here they still use the belt that the shopper loads. The clerk unloads at KS.
That is faster since clerk can pull anything that needs to be weighed and do it all at once or leave all of it in the cart until last.

King Soopers (King Stupid's) is very much faster at checkout. Albertson's stores were always dirty.

I've found Target not too bad, but I won't do Wally World. We used to have a Cub/Grocery Warehouse, but those stores usually benefit those who buy in bulk.

I'll use self-check but that damn bagging requirement just pisses me off. I'm buying one small item - I don't NEED a bag.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

said by carpetshark3:

I'll use self-check but that damn bagging requirement just pisses me off. I'm buying one small item - I don't NEED a bag.

You don't have to take a bag. You can always just set the item(s) on the bagging carousel, which is actually a weighing device; there is often an open spot in the center just for this purpose. Or push the "skip bagging" button, which is usually available but may require an attendant to double-check what you're doing.

My pet peeve is bags that won't open. If I try to open some in advance then that ticks off the machine, and if I take too long to open one and bag an item, then that ticks off the machine. So these days I might just sit things down on the carousel and bag them all at the end of my transaction (because who cares if I tick off the machine then?), or maybe I'll just skip bagging completely.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

I've found that Safeway (Spaceway) has the slowest freaking checkers. They have to stop and chat. I've told them to keep checking and I'll freaking bag - there's a line behind me. Here they still use the belt that the shopper loads. The clerk unloads at KS.
That is faster since clerk can pull anything that needs to be weighed and do it all at once or leave all of it in the cart until last.

I have never heard of a supermarket where they unload for you, Only have ever seen the normal unload onto the long belt yourself.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

said by Kearnstd:

said by carpetshark3:

I have never heard of a supermarket where they unload for you, Only have ever seen the normal unload onto the long belt yourself.

This used to be standard practice back in the day, IIRC. My memory isn't so great these days, but I think Costco still does it; maybe Sam's; maybe Aldi's, too. And IIRC, Marshall's and Garden Ridge do the single line, multiple registers thing, which per queuing theory is a near-optimal way of doing it, so I'm a bit surprised that you don't see more of it. Then again, grocery stores and such make a lot of money off those impulse sales that are made while you are standing in line, so they probably have no motivation to change things.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to scross

Premium Member

to scross
You don't like taking a bag? You would hate living in Hawaii. There is a state wide plastic bag ban. It goes into effect on January 1, 2013 on the Big Island and later on the other islands. Everyone will have to remember to bring their own reusable bags or pay a fee at checkout for a paper bag.

The ban is also on retail stores so no more Sears or Macy's bags, but I think a plastic sack for carry out for take out meals is allowed.

Actually, it could be that tape will used in lieu of your reusable bag that you forgot if you don't want to pay the paper bag fee. But if tape is used at self check lanes it would have to be the cashier watching who would come over and slap the tape on the item.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

said by Mele20:

Everyone will have to remember to bring their own reusable bags or pay a fee at checkout for a paper bag.

That's stupid. My supermarket provides paper bags made of 100% recycled paper with handles for FREE. See:
»www.durobag.com/Standard ··· =13&f=10

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

King Soopers (King Stupid's) is very much faster at checkout. Albertson's stores were always dirty.

I've found Target not too bad, but I won't do Wally World. We used to have a Cub/Grocery Warehouse, but those stores usually benefit those who buy in bulk.

I think management forces the cashiers to stop and try to chit chat as they do that at my store also.
The are also very slow.
The best worker at my safeway is a guy that some people would call "mentally challenged", but he is the quickest, most knowledge worker in the store and does not mess around.
He can fix any register glitch and scan and bag 2 to 3 carts in the time it takes everyone else to do 1. He makes everyone else seem retarded, lol.
If I had a store I would want this guy as my cashier.

Anyways the self checkouts at safeway work without those glitch problems, so sometimes when lines are long and self checkouts are empty I will go there and bag a pile of 10+ bags on the scale and be out before one cashier is even done with one customer.

Safeway seems to tolerate slow cashiers and make them waste time by pausing and chit chatting even when the line is 5 carts long or more.

The slow cashier problem is everywhere, not just specific stores. I think most people are underqualified to be cashiers, but since the pay is lower companies hire who they can get.