spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GreenRook

join:2010-05-06
Cedar Rapids, IA

[IA] Intermittent speed issues (Cedar Rapids, IA)

Over the last couple of weeks, my connection has dropped at least once per day to well under 1Mbps. Actual results vary anywhere from 0.7 to 0.03Mbps (I had to use dslreports.com/mspeed for that low point). Upload speeds are fairly consistently around 1-1.5Mbps.

This usually happens in the evenings - 8pm to midnight or 1am usually - and on weekends.

I'm paying for 12M down and 1 up, and outside of these slowdowns my speeds are great.

Powercycling my modem doesn't appear to help anything, nor does bypassing my home network and plugging directly into the modem.

My modem is an older DCM425, but I haven't had any real issues with it before now. It doesn't drop the connection entirely, but if I powercycle it while the connection is slow it takes MUCH longer to link back up again.

I will also see an error "TLV-11 - unrecognized OID" in the modem's event log. I don't see it very frequently, though - maybe 3-4 times in the last couple of weeks.

Here is the information from the modem's diagnostics page.

Forward Path:
Signal Acquired at 129.000 MHz
SNR: 28.3 dB
Received Signal Strength: -7.9 dBmV
Bit Error Rate: 4.575 %
Modulation: 256 QAM

Return Path:
Connection: Acquired
Frequency: 25.0 MHz
Power Level: 42.2 dBmV
Channel ID: 1
Modulation: 16 QAM

This was copied from when I was having these issues, about 5 minutes after powercycling the modem.

The return path looks okay as far as I can tell, but the forward path is questionable.

Current stats:
SNR: 29.3 dB
RSS: -7.3 dBmV
BER: 1.954% and seems to be slowly creeping down.
Working okay right now, but numbers still strike me as off.

I only have one cable jack, and I do not have cable TV service. No splitters are in place within the apartment, but I do not know if there are any in place between my cable jack and the drop.

My next thought is to try and swap the modem out at the local office. The tech that was out to install service for me about 3 years ago was pretty open with his dislike for this model of modem and mentioned I could bring it in to the office if it was acting up. Is that still the case? And would I need to call ahead to do so?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:116
Hello Halcyon,

I will be happy to look into the service issues you are currently having.

Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

basenji

join:2006-11-02
Waconia, MN
reply to GreenRook
This looks like an easy one, the modem is bad. Very common for the tuners in the 425 to go bad. When you see that low of an down SNR and bit errors its either a very bad signal or more likely a bad modem.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to GreenRook
said by GreenRook:

Forward Path:
Signal Acquired at 129.000 MHz
SNR: 28.3 dB
Received Signal Strength: -7.9 dBmV
Bit Error Rate: 4.575 %
Modulation: 256 QAM

One thing is for sure: the SNR is to low. Should be at least 32 dB.

GreenRook

Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to basenji
That's kind of what I was hoping to hear, to be honest. I have a coworker who used to work for a small ISP where they used to live that used these modems, and that was their thought as well.

MediacomChad: Thanks for looking into this - I've sent you the requested information.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to wth
DCM 425s are most likely to develop this issue. He may not have an actual signal issue. It's most likely the modem reporting bad signal.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA
reply to GreenRook
Agree with the others. Would suggest you stop into the office on Council st ne with the current modem and swap it out for another.

GreenRook

Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to GreenRook
Swapped out the modem today for a new Cisco DPQ2160. Based on the equipment I received and the condition it's in (cords still have color-coded tags on them and haven't been re-bound), it looks like this is a brand new modem.

No issues so far, but I'd gone a couple of days between issues previously, so we'll see how it goes. This modem's Signal tab is disabled, so I can't check SNR from here anymore, but I think I can live with that.

Thanks to MediacomChad and everyone else here!

justme

@softdial.org
You can still see the signal page. There is just one page and its at »192.168.100.1/ and all other tabs/links are disabled.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Halcyon, everything on this end looks good. I am getting good response when pinging through. Keep me posted if you run into any other issues.

kemeyer

join:2012-08-08
Marion, IA
reply to GreenRook
I started noticing the same problem in Marion recently when streaming HD Netflix programs to my TV in the evening. It usually starts at high bit rate (10+ Mbps) but drops to 1 Mbps at unpredictable times, which pauses steaming or causes my Blu Ray to go into a coma. Sometimes it's only a few seconds and the program resumes, and sometimes I need to turn it off and do something else. I haven't done this enough to establish a pattern, but it's been happening to us mid-evening (8:00 - 9:30), and my wife, who is online periodically throughout the evening, also loses her internet connection. Other than these untimely moments of frustration, I'm very pleased with Mediacom's internet service. Hopefully, this is a temporary problem.

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA
reply to GreenRook
kemeyer, what are your signal levels looking like, and what modem do you have?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
kemeyer, send me an IM with your account info and I will be happy to help

TheFoxMan

@mchsi.com
reply to Nexis
Nexis, I have a Linksys CM100 modem and D-Link DIR-655 router. Most of the time my speed is great ( 20Mbps/1.5Mbps), but we experience brief drops once or twice a day, then all is well. I only noticed it a couple evenings this week when streaming TV shows (wired connection), but my wife, who is retired and frequents social network sites during the day (wireless), says it happens about every day. This is not a deal breaker, but it would be good to know root cause.

kemeyer

Marion, IA
reply to MediacomChad
MediacomChad, sorry for the dumb question, but how do I send an IM?

kemeyer

Marion, IA
reply to Nexis
Nexis, I'm a nubee here and not sure what happened when sending the original reply, but I had to fill in a name to post it... something about anonymous (maybe I wasn't logged in). Anyway, the post from TheFoxMan is mine (kemeyer).

kemeyer

Marion, IA
reply to kemeyer
Never mind, I see it now that I'm logged on.