join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3

Re: [Rant] Stop and Shop

said by carpetshark3:

So Stop and Pee is still in business?

I've found that Safeway (Spaceway) has the slowest freaking checkers. They have to stop and chat. I've told them to keep checking and I'll freaking bag - there's a line behind me. Here they still use the belt that the shopper loads. The clerk unloads at KS.
That is faster since clerk can pull anything that needs to be weighed and do it all at once or leave all of it in the cart until last.

I have never heard of a supermarket where they unload for you, Only have ever seen the normal unload onto the long belt yourself.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

said by Kearnstd:

said by carpetshark3:

So Stop and Pee is still in business?

I've found that Safeway (Spaceway) has the slowest freaking checkers. They have to stop and chat. I've told them to keep checking and I'll freaking bag - there's a line behind me. Here they still use the belt that the shopper loads. The clerk unloads at KS.
That is faster since clerk can pull anything that needs to be weighed and do it all at once or leave all of it in the cart until last.

I have never heard of a supermarket where they unload for you, Only have ever seen the normal unload onto the long belt yourself.

This used to be standard practice back in the day, IIRC. My memory isn't so great these days, but I think Costco still does it; maybe Sam's; maybe Aldi's, too. And IIRC, Marshall's and Garden Ridge do the single line, multiple registers thing, which per queuing theory is a near-optimal way of doing it, so I'm a bit surprised that you don't see more of it. Then again, grocery stores and such make a lot of money off those impulse sales that are made while you are standing in line, so they probably have no motivation to change things.