Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Uninstalling Babylon malware.

I just had to deal with this and although I was able to manually clean it up, there was a lot of hidden stuff left behind even after a thorough manual removal.

I acquired this *%$# thing by downloading a free font from a site called fonts101. The download came as an .exe and upon executing, WinPatrol notified me of this unwanted toolbar. I said "no" and "no" etc. etc. Unfortunately after stopping the installation of the font, the toolbar had punched through WinPatrol and been installed in IE, Firefox and Chrome. Also my default search engine had been changed to Babylon in all three. It did all of this without any permission on my part and even though I aborted installing the font. Furthermore it created a user.js in Firefox to ensure that the Firefox about:config settings would be modified even after manually cleaning out the preference settings.

It may not be malware, but it sure acts like it. This is not an easy thing to remove. It places two removable entries that you can uninstall, but uninstalling does not undo the changes to the home page and default search and some of these are not all that easy to change back even after the toolbar has been removed.

After dealing with manual removal, I am happy to recommend Ad-Remover. This free (donation-ware) program will remove it completely.

Download

Good luck!
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1
reply to antdude

Just had another person call me with this invasive piece of malware. It would be nice if the AV programs caught it. She is using Norton.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to jmorlan

said by jmorlan:

After dealing with manual removal, I am happy to recommend Ad-Remover. This free (donation-ware) program will remove it completely.

Download

jmorlan, you posted links for two different programs.. one link is for "ad-remover" and the other link is for "adwcleaner"..

i am not sure which of the two programs you used..

i have heard "adwcleaner" mentioned before and i saw a log of stuff that it removed from one person's computer, which i thought was impressive..

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Sorry about that. The download link is for adwcleaner which is correct and what I used to clean up after manually cleaning.

»general-changelog-team.fr/en/too···wcleaner
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

Expand your moderator at work