spc
uniqs

avenison
join:2009-12-10

avenison to JohnB

to JohnB

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

said by JohnB :

The ONT(optical network terminal, for those who didn't know) is manufactured by Alcatel-Lucent. It is always mounted indoors, usually wear existing wiring enters the home. The battery back up provides 8 hours of phone USE, and a lot more for standby time. However, cordless phones would still not work no matter what technology the phone line used.

The address the comment about backyard poles, there are cases in Sudbury where yes, we have ran the fibre along that line. However, there are also cases(holland ave) where it was ran on the pole which carries hydro and cable only prior to fibreop.

Ok, glad they're going with the inside ONTs - it seems they were using the outdoor grey-box type when the available documents were written ( »productsandservice.bella ··· uide.pdf ). Regardless of where they're running the conduit I should be able to have it installed where I need it then.

Regarding power backup, I wasn't really asking about the ONT but the equipment at the CO end. POTS is nice since in a power outage a parasitic phone will work as long as there's backup power there - I am wondering if this new network will be on the same support infrastructure or if not.

You seem to have sidestepped my questions about expected delivery dates, but hopefully we will hear more soon?

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by avenison:

Regarding power backup, I wasn't really asking about the ONT but the equipment at the CO end. POTS is nice since in a power outage a parasitic phone will work as long as there's backup power there - I am wondering if this new network will be on the same support infrastructure or if not.

My guess is not to power failure simply because there won't be any traditional "power" running down this fibre line? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe beams of light can be used for electrical conductivity?

In regards to the delivery dates, just look for where that truck is with the trailer and the big sign attached, it was at the Rexall at Westmount and Barrydowne a couple months ago and if you look in the street tool, you can see some streets have been added...sadly mine hasn't yet, but I do see some of the markings in my area for what looks to be Bell equipment...I'll take a picture of it soon and post it up here...I would figure those areas would be first since they have the locates all done.