Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Spike5

Premium Member

to Spike5

Re: [Rant] Non-stop harassment from a collection agency

said by Spike5:

Ignoring blocked numbers is silly, hospitals call you from blocked numbers all the time.

Really? Or, is that your situation?

If that's the case, I guess they'll leave a vmail if it's important...

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

said by Spike5:

Ignoring blocked numbers is silly, hospitals call you from blocked numbers all the time.

Really? Or, is that your situation?

If that's the case, I guess they'll leave a vmail if it's important...

Most hospital internal extensions often block numbers on outgoing calls. I know it entirely depends on their setup. Numbers are not commonly blocked if its their secretary calling you.

Its common in Toronto, and everywhere else I've lived.

Things *can* be urgent enough that they want to talk to you, not your voicemail.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

What I'm saying is, you must have someone in the hospital. If that's the case, fine. Answer it. Otherwise...

And, they do leave vmails.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to Spike5

Premium Member

to Spike5
said by Spike5:

....Things *can* be urgent enough that they want to talk to you, not your voicemail.

I sympathize with your apparent situation.

That said, if someone wants to (maybe) talk to me on the phone, learn how to set your technology to BROADCAST YOUR NUMBER !

Unfortunately, Telemarketers, Collection Weasels, and other lowlife have ruined it for everyone else who uses the phone systems for legitimate reasons.

Now we must each do what we can.

MY method of choice is to drop/block calls with no CID sent, and to first look up online any sent numbers which I do not recognise, without taking the call, and then MAYBE calling back, depending upon what I discover on 800 Notes_com and similar sites.

And I do not enable Voice Mail on my lines.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

Unfortunately, Telemarketers, Collection Weasels, and other lowlife have ruined it for everyone else who uses the phone systems for legitimate reasons.

This. Too many telemarketers and associated scum either block or spoof their numbers. If I don't recognize it, it goes to voicemail. If they don't leave a message then it wasn't important.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

This. Too many telemarketers and associated scum either block or spoof their numbers. If I don't recognize it, it goes to voicemail. If they don't leave a message then it wasn't important.

You're far too kind.

Even if I DID use voicemail, everything unknown, and/or broadcasting a toll-free would either go to 'the round file' with the special tone for a disconnected line, or be broadcast a chacophony of screaming monkees.

Bear in mind that I'm in 613 and not a local call from Ottawa, so that makes it a bit easier to manage without fear of losing many calls.

If talking to someone from whom I DO want to receive a call, I get them to tell me what number to expect on my CID, and if they cannot do that, then good luck.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

I like the monkies idea

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

I like the monkies idea

There was a thread last year (IIRC) in DSLR's Voice Tech Chat forum, where folks were comparing what custom recordings they had uploaded to VOIP.MS and/or CallCentric, to play at Undesired callers, and the screaming monkeys (not to be confused with the musical group ), were popular there too.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Last night I had a call from someone who claimed I had filled out a ballot at Wal-Mart last December. He had it there, in his hand! I won! I did not even both to play with him.

During the day my wife played with one of the fake MS guys. He got offended when she told him we had no Windows computers and that he was a liar. He said "All you had to say was you do not have a computer". WTF, dude, you are trying to commit a crime, you have no right to be offended!