how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

XaXiS

join:2009-08-15
Canada Eh

[Rant] Annoying landlords

Well, I have this very annoying landlady who is a NUT! She shows up at our door unannounced, blames us for an increase in her water bill, uses profanities, wants us to get rid of our animals when it is perfectly legal to have them here, threatens eviction almost monthly.. even insists on monthly inspections of the unit. She treats us as if we are children and she is only 10 years older than I am. I know I can call the tenant board and all but I'd rather not go through that hassle. She does not give written notices, she does not even tell us a time as to when she will show up. We don't want her inside. Every month since we've moved in is a bit excessive to me. She goes around to each room, including our bedroom and checks for cleanliness and of course bitches if she sees a dust bunny. The last time she did she freaked and said "This is what will blow up my furnace!!!" Umm sure lady, there is a filter you put in the cold air return grate.
The first night we moved in she knocked on our door and came over past 11pm and said "This isn't going to work out, your place stinks".
We had public health over (by my request) and all they could smell was cigarette smoke coming from her place downstairs. She has tried everything saying she was moving in her brother in law to trying to get rid of us because of our animals which she had no problem with before. I don't want her coming over today. First off, it's a Sunday. Secondly, this is getting a bit much. There is no damage, we keep the place relatively clean. I just know she is going to find something to bitch about like she always does. What I find amusing is, she complains about cleanliness when her front yard is littered with garbage and construction stuff that has been there since we moved in. Also her front entrance is covered with junk and her house is a mess (I went inside to talk to her one time when she threatened eviction before.)

I need advice.

jmacd27
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Toronto, ON

Move.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to XaXiS

Move or go to the Board. Those are your real options. You have complained about her before.

Until you move or do otherwise, continue to rant

XaXiS

Canada Eh
reply to XaXiS

I think I'll go to the board. We can't afford anything else really and my credit is awful and most places here go for credit checks etc.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to XaXiS

set up a hidden camera on your entrance door and take off for a few days. She'll prob use a spare key to enter and check whats goin on since your not answering her. Then charge her for trespassing. See how she likes that.

you really should start recording whatever's goin on whether it be covert audio or video. She sounds like a nutbar and pulling out video evidence usually shuts them up or stands up good in court.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to XaXiS

Really easy solution,

Form T2 - Application About Tenant Rights
Filing fee: $0.00

My landlord or their agent has:

- illegally entered my rental unit
- changed the locks without giving me replacement keys withheld or interfered with my care services, vital services or food in a care home
- interfered with my reasonable enjoyment of the rental unit
- harassed, coerced or threatened me
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

tell her 1 word when she knocks on your door, it starts with the letter F and ends in off

g121
MrGee

join:2004-05-28
Toronto
reply to XaXiS

Life is too short to have nutbars screw up your day-to-day living .. the relationship will probably remain toxic no matter what you do .. you don't need the ongoing hassle or drama .. best to move on .. cheers

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to XaXiS

How many other tenants are there in the building?

Does she do the same to them?

You mentioned your credit is bad, do you pay your rent on time?

If not, could that be why she does not like you?

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

what floor do u live in? the basement? middle or upper floor? maybe move floors?

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to XaXiS

Tell her to get her thyroid checked. Something in her behaviour reminds me of an untreated thyroid (long shot, but what the hell...)

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to XaXiS

My suggestion is to move out... I've seen wayyy too many bad landlords as of late. Even the one I'm current.y renting from... Because I like to pay my rent first on the 29th of the previous month He gets upset with me lol... OK Then.

He also bitches and complains about the 7 of us renting rooms in this house that was meant for 4 people, water, hydro, etc...

He expects the A/C to be over 27*C ya ok... That's a worthwhile venture when you refuse to fix the ventilation to actually cool the upper part of the house.

Frankly speaking... If you have bad credit you're going to end up like myself in shitty landlord situations. Easiest remedy is to record ALL communication via cellphone in pocket or hidden cameras, etc.

Show them what you can do to them, and make them realize that there are real-world consequences for their actions... Worked for me :P

Z
--
If you don't want to lag, don't "bragg"

buttaknife

join:2007-06-01
reply to XaXiS

I swear I am having a serious case of dejavu and that this was posted before. Either you have or someone has posted a very similar situation some time ago or I figured out how to travel to the future.

XaXiS

Canada Eh
reply to XaXiS

It's a duplex. She has one side and the basement, I have the south side upper half. I probably did post something about her before. Rent has always been paid on time as I have it transferred from my account to hers automatically. I will probably end up recording her. We hear her screaming at her kids pretty much everyday, slamming her front door so the whole house shakes. She claimed she does not smoke indoors which is BS because it is going through the vents. Her son even admitted she doesn't smoke outside, but just indoors.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's her thyroid either. She is not well liked in this town as everyone I've talked to says she's a nut. She stays up at all hours of the night listening to conspiracy theory internet radio. Oh yeah, she also claims to be apart of Anonymous and the world was supposed to end on May 20th because Russia was invading Denver with nukes. (Why Denver of all places??)

She's a few fries short of a happy meal. We like the place, I just wish the harassment would stop. I recorded them fighting a few months back, I have it on my computer still. I will probably record her from now on with my camera and use it as evidence.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

It's the hidden bunker, full of lizards apparently. Everyone knows that. There's sekrits everywhere man...now that everyone in this thread knows, we're gonna have to send out the men in the black suits and helicopters to collect everyone.

Of course, the Illuminati knows. They know...

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to XaXiS

Apply to the Board for a retroactive abatement and going forward for loss of enjoyment of the use of your premise.

XaXiS

Canada Eh

I know she can't afford that. It would ruin her financially. She has 2 jobs and 2 kids to feed.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by XaXiS:

I know she can't afford that. It would ruin her financially. She has 2 jobs and 2 kids to feed.

The make it very clear, either you get off my @$$ or I'll pursue legal means to make you get off my @$$ and get compensated for all the past rides.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to XaXiS

said by XaXiS:

Then this will incentivize a behaviour modification.

XaXiS

Canada Eh
reply to XaXiS

She tried to come over for her 'inspection' and I told her no, she has no grounds. Now she is threatening eviction yet again. Said our place stinks and we both stink. I documented it of course and wrote her a long email stating that we will not put up with this abusive behavior anymore and anymore threats or harassment etc and I will file against her.
That was sent about an hour ago. so far no reply. She wants to still come over at 4pm tomorrow and we won't be here, so I will be setting up a camera to record everything when we are not here to ensure she is not illegally entering. If she does, I will be filing the same day.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

On one hand, it's good to see you standing up for your rights. Sounds like she deserves everything that's coming to her.

OTOH, the only real solution to this is likely to be moving out. No one really wants to live in a state of war.

If I were you I'd probably be doing the same thing you are, but not anticipating a happy outcome. Best of luck, though. If she gets read the riot act and learns to lay low for awhile, you might at least have some peace for awhile.

XaXiS

Canada Eh

Oh she read it and replied, of course.. she does not make any sense when she is writing an email. We will probably look for another place in the long run. I would love to find the person who was living here before but it's impossible.

She still thinks she has the right to inspect for cleanliness. She complains about our cats saying they smell and the dog smells etc. We have had may people over, even total strangers that have said the complete opposite.

She is claiming that the smell is going downstairs because there is only one heater. We would smell something too as well as the other people and public health. She flipped out one time when she saw a dust bunny for fuck sakes.

There was some litter on the floor where the cat accidently scooped some over the entrance of the litterbox and so she took a picture of it.

Here is her reply:
"Go ahead report me I would love to go to court on this with the picture I have . !!! "

That is the only part of the email I could make sense out of. I don't think there is any amount of alcohol in the world that would help make sense of what she is saying before that ( And I don't even drink)

said by Wolfie00:

On one hand, it's good to see you standing up for your rights. Sounds like she deserves everything that's coming to her.

OTOH, the only real solution to this is likely to be moving out. No one really wants to live in a state of war.

If I were you I'd probably be doing the same thing you are, but not anticipating a happy outcome. Best of luck, though. If she gets read the riot act and learns to lay low for awhile, you might at least have some peace for awhile.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to XaXiS

said by XaXiS:

That was sent about an hour ago. so far no reply. She wants to still come over at 4pm tomorrow and we won't be here, so I will be setting up a camera to record everything when we are not here to ensure she is not illegally entering. If she does, I will be filing the same day.

I can't speak for Ontario, but in most places, this is legal. She gives you notice more than 24 hours in advance of an inspection, and she's allowed to do it even if you're not home. Check your lease and the local laws on this subject.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Guspaz:

said by XaXiS:

I can't speak for Ontario, but in most places, this is legal. She gives you notice more than 24 hours in advance of an inspection, and she's allowed to do it even if you're not home. Check your lease and the local laws on this subject.

In order for to enter she must give written notice more than 24 hours in advance of the entry.

The inspection can only be for the "the purpose of determining whether or not the rental unit is in a good state of repair and fit for habitation and complies with health, safety, housing and maintenance standards, consistent with the landlord’s obligations under subsection 20 (1) or section 161."

In other words, her right to inspect is to check for maintenance issues for which she is responsible. "Cleanliness", which is a subjective thing to begin with, is not a valid reason for an inspection.

Further, the frequency, and belligerent nature of these bogus inspections violate both sections 22 and 23 of the RTA:

quote:
22. A landlord shall not at any time during a tenant’s occupancy of a rental unit and before the day on which an order evicting the tenant is executed substantially interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of the rental unit or the residential complex in which it is located for all usual purposes by a tenant or members of his or her household.

23. A landlord shall not harass, obstruct, coerce, threaten or interfere with a tenant.
Make the filing. The appropriate form is here:
»www.ltb.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume···1589.pdf

JustinEss

join:2011-03-17
Ottawa, ON

Thought Ontario was 48 hours notice for 'inspection'

If you do go to the board, you're fine they're heavily slanted in favour of the renter.

Seems to me the landlord is entering the unit without good reason
4. ii.

Entry with notice

27. (1) A landlord may enter a rental unit in accordance with written notice given to the tenant at least 24 hours before the time of entry under the following circumstances:

1. To carry out a repair or replacement or do work in the rental unit.

2. To allow a potential mortgagee or insurer of the residential complex to view the rental unit.

3. To allow a person who holds a certificate of authorization within the meaning of the Professional Engineers Act or a certificate of practice within the meaning of the Architects Act or another qualified person to make a physical inspection of the rental unit to satisfy a requirement imposed under subsection 9 (4) of the Condominium Act, 1998.

4. To carry out an inspection of the rental unit, if,

i. the inspection is for the purpose of determining whether or not the rental unit is in a good state of repair and fit for habitation and complies with health, safety, housing and maintenance standards, consistent with the landlord’s obligations under subsection 20 (1) or section 161, and

ii. it is reasonable to carry out the inspection.

5. For any other reasonable reason for entry specified in the tenancy agreement. 2006, c. 17, s. 27 (1).