--

lagh lucharghlu'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

Which speed tier are you actually subscribed to ?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Jammy

Some D3 gateways have both the modem and a router with wifi built in. (and sometime telephone capabilities too.)
the D3 refers to channel bonding and other upgrades on the WAN (ComCast to your modem) side and is seperate from wifi ability.
Unless you are renting the device from comcast and have no choice, I generally recommend against a gateway/all-in-one device because
1}one device is RARELY the best at each task
2}the single device USUALLY limits access to some control/configurations that can improve performance.
3}it is difficult to impossible to upgrade any given part of the device/total replacement is usually the only choice.
4}Troubleshooting is far more difficult if you can't temporarily bypass one of the parts for testing, again total replacement may be the only ($$$$) choice.

As convienent as one DO-IT-ALL box, with one power supply sounds, it also has severe limitations.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jammy

Two different things, really:

1. Do you need a D3 modem? Assuming that you are in a D3 enabled area, the answer is yes. You may hit provisioned speeds without it, but for consistency and reliability there is no reason not to have a D3 modem.

2. Yes, there are wireless gateways, modem with router functionality combined...avoid these like the plague! tshirt stated it well. The allure of an all in one device is understandable, but it just does not work out that way. If you want to use (rent) Comcast's modem, that is fine, but buy your own quality, stand alone router and set up your own network...you will be much better served that way.
--
Deeds, not words

Jammy
ja'Krinda
Premium
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EG

I upgraded to 30 mbp down about a month ago and 4 up. I have a WI-Fi modem. The only brand name I see is RMC on the backside. The front says Infinity.The same one they use for landline phones.

I have no idea what a D3 modem does. I know the modem I have lets me go all over my apartment.

Also does anybody here no about IvP6? I know Comcast shoots out IvP4 but nationally IvP6 is where computers should be now. I read a thread here briefly about a week ago and now I do not know where I read it at, lol.

Jammy

said by EG:

Which speed tier are you actually subscribed to ?

--

lagh lucharghlu'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj