Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

[Rant] Close on Sunday? Really?

I wanted to buy 4 new tires.
I work Mon-Fri 8-5 many times later.
I dont understand how service companies will be closed on Sundays? For many people they can only have time on sat/sun off to get work done on their cars and discount tire cuts that down to only 1 day.

I went to discount tires website, created a service order.
Drove to the store and it said closed sundays. WTF? The website did not have a pop up or notification saying closed on sundays - it said the tires were available right now.
So i ended up going to NTB (which they are like 15% more money) as they were the only other tire place that stocked the tires I wanted. NTB is horrible and slow for everything, but oh well.
Since discount tire is closed on sundays they cost their company a $700 sale.

I just dont get how a "service" company would want to be closed on sundays. I would think service companies busiest days are sunday and saturday.
I guess they can stay profitable while frustrating customers so they dont really care.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

Reduced hours on Saturday (if not closed completely) and being closed on Sunday is pretty standard for most "service" companies.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

In all my years of driving, this is first "automotive" service or store that was closed on sunday not in a small town.
I'm in houston, not small town Maryland.
But I have been all over the country and never seen this before.

Cities/suburbs are certainly different than small towns.
I have been in small towns where EVERYTHING is closed passed 6pm even on weekdays, so the only way to get anything done is to take time off work. They dont have national chains.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
You get many who go to church on Sunday. Since they go, they assume that is the worship day for potential customers, so they close up shop. Others just do not want to have to deal with monitoring a business 7 days a week, they want one day per week to not be so worried about it. Some places do not get enough business to make staying open on Sunday to be profitable.

There is a Store Hours/Locator link, »dt.know-where.com/DiscountTire/, it was at the top and bottom of the main webpage.

It also may be a corporate policy, similar to the never open on Sunday Chick-fil-A restaurants.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Rant #2 - going on 2 hours with my car in the bay at NTB.
This is why I hate NTB, they put your car in the bay an then they take 3 times the time any other shop takes to finish your car.
They always say no wait when you ask. Even when you are willing to leave and come back when they call you.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

said by r81984:

Rant #2 - going on 2 hours with my car in the bay at NTB.
This is why I hate NTB, they put your car in the bay an then they take 3 times the time any other shop takes to finish your car.
They always say no wait when you ask. Even when you are willing to leave and come back when they call you.

Again, your own doing. Surely you have a Costco or BJ's or even a Wally World there that might cost a few dollars more, but will get the job done with far greater convenience and satisfaction. You get what you are willing to pay for it.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Um... NTB is more expensive than anyone so it is not get what you pay for.

Well it was 2.5 hours of work on my car (actually on the lift) then 30 min of them fumbling with paperwork before I could actually pay.
Total 3 hours

Normally I go to Pepboys, they are quick and cheaper, but they had to order the tires I wanted and I did not want to wait due to bad rain for this coming week.

Of course NTB finds a way to screw this up. So now I have to go back next week.
They put the weights on the outside of the rim when I told them only put the weights on the inside of the rim.
I guess if your competitors are closed on sundays then you can have shitty service.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

And I'm sure you also don't have time to write to them to report the unsatisfactory service that requires you make a trip back for them to fix it.

I went to NTB (actually their predecessor, NTW) *once* 20 years ago and left within minutes because their supposed sale on the Michelins (clearly stated in the ad that my model was included) "required" additional work for a Honda Accord that would not only make the tires regular price, but another $50 on top of that. I went to Costco and got it done for $50 less than NTB's sale.

Next time, rearrange your life and go to the place you would have preferred in the first place. Or at least somewhere you won't have to come back to fix a screwup.
neonturbo
join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI

neonturbo to r81984

to r81984
I have never understood the philosophy of me being required to work nights, weekends, and holidays because I am an auto mechanic. In the service industry people expect us to give up our lives for the "convenience" of everyone else. These weekends we are expected to work are in addition to our normal weekday shifts. We make almost no money on these tires, oil changes, and other things that everyone wants done on their free time.

I bet you don't volunteer to work weekends, yet you expect everyone else to do this.
Expand your moderator at work

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to neonturbo

Premium Member

to neonturbo

Re: [Rant] Close on Sunday? Really?

said by neonturbo:

I have never understood the philosophy of me being required to work nights, weekends, and holidays because I am an auto mechanic. In the service industry people expect us to give up our lives for the "convenience" of everyone else. These weekends we are expected to work are in addition to our normal weekday shifts. We make almost no money on these tires, oil changes, and other things that everyone wants done on their free time.

I bet you don't volunteer to work weekends, yet you expect everyone else to do this.

Whats the point of weekday shifts when all your customers are at work?
The prime time for walk-in customer retail would be after 5pm on weekdays and weekend.

Oil changes, tires, etc what else is a shop to do?
Oil changes gets you at least $40 an hour for labor, but I suspect more.
In my case NTB made $270 to cover labor and equipment, so that could be $270 an hour, but in NTB slow ass case it was only $90 ah hour for 3 hours.

You make a low rate on oil changes, but very high rate on tire changes.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Since you work Monday to Friday so you should have went to discount tire on Saturday. 99.99% percent of the population knows that most service stores are closed on Sunday.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

said by Caddyroger:

Since you work Monday to Friday so you should have went to discount tire on Saturday. 99.99% percent of the population knows that most service stores are closed on Sunday.

Except discount tire was the only one closed. So I dont understand this comment.
Hesher
Premium Member
join:2002-09-26
Sycamore, IL

Hesher to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
I think they are closed on Sundays because their employees work M-F and the weekend is the only time they have any time to get anything done.

I've always worked weekends. Nothing pisses me off more than somebody complaining because a business is closed on the weekend. You are off on the weekend, what makes you better than anyone else.

Just imagine if everything was closed on the weekends. What would happen? OMG, the whole world would fall apart.....wait, people would figure out a way to get it done during the week.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC

DC DSL to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Organization and planning ahead. If you can't or won't, then you will continue to have issues until you get with the program. Don't blame or scold anyone else.

You've been served.

aanoonn
@optonline.net

aanoonn to r81984

Anon

to r81984
I just checked three tire stores near here in NJ. They're all closed on Sundays.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
You could have went to this discount store on Saturday the day you did not work. Now 99.9 % of the usa population know that most tire stores are closed on Sunday. Lots of people does not like to work on Sunday.

Discount Tire (TXH-73)
24202 Cinco Ranch Blvd
Katy, TX 77494
(281) 392-5444
M-F 8:00-6:00
Sat 8:00-5:00

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL
said by DC DSL:

Organization and planning ahead. If you can't or won't, then you will continue to have issues until you get with the program. Don't blame or scold anyone else.

You've been served.

Do to work I can only get things done on weekends.
Planning ahead changes nothing.
Most people work m to f thus can only get service done on weekends.
As I said some industries have to work opposite hours as everyone else. That is just the way it is.
r81984

r81984 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

You could have went to this discount store on Saturday the day you did not work. Now 99.9 % of the usa population know that most tire stores are closed on Sunday. Lots of people does not like to work on Sunday.

Again they were the only I could find that was closed so your 99.9% makes no sense.
I never had a problem on sunday before doing what I needed to do.
Aside from small towns everyone is open sundays for retail.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
As was pointed out, Costco Tires are open 7 days a week.

You're just whining because you didn't get what you wanted, when you wanted it, at the price you wanted.

"Your lack of planning, is not my emergency."

Planning ahead changes EVERYTHING.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

As I said some industries have to work opposite hours as everyone else. That is just the way it is.

The moral of the story here is don't wait until right before a week of bad rain to get your tires changed.

Alternatively, you could always have asked a favor of a co-worker to meet you at a tire place and drive you to work and back to pick up the car on a M-F. You could have picked one near work and walked. You could have taken a cab, you could have rented a car for the day. You could also have asked if any offered pick-up+delivery service. You could also have asked for an hour or two off first thing in the morning/extended lunch/leave work early.
Expand your moderator at work

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

Re: [Rant] Close on Sunday? Really?

Lets Detroit Mich not a small town but tires stores are closed. The same for Toledo Ohio Tacoma and Seattle Wa. The tires store are closed.
Caddyroger

Caddyroger to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Maybe this will better you to under stand every one else except for the people that live in Katy Texas knows that most tire stores are closed on Sunday.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

Lets Detroit Mich not a small town but tires stores are closed. The same for Toledo Ohio Tacoma and Seattle Wa. The tires store are closed.

They must be small towns.
It looks like a the national chain tire stores are open sunday in all of those places.

»www.toyotaofseattle.com/ ··· yota-map
Even the dealership service is open on sunday in seattle.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by DC DSL:

You've been served.

Your tires did not got bad just over night. They probably been bad for the last 5 months. You should been checking them often since they had 35k miles on them. If you checked them you could have gotten them replace at discount tire on a Saturday the week end day to did not work.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

It did rain a few times before, never had a problem then.
It is actually closer to the 30K mark.
Last tires I had were 60K they did not have any problems and I changed them at 65K due to the tread finally being too low.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

ctggzg to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
I've seen Honda and Volkswagen dealers that did service on Saturdays and Sundays. Some actually give discounts if you do service on the weekend because I guess they don't have much business on those days. I agree that the weekend should be MORE convenient for most people. The whole thing about Sundays in particular is archaic and obsolete.

Just as stupid is the post office's attempt to cut Saturday delivery. If they were going to cut a day, it should be Wednesday or Thursday so there aren't two days in a row without delivery.
said by Hesher:

I think they are closed on Sundays because their employees work M-F and the weekend is the only time they have any time to get anything done.

That doesn't make sense. If they worked on Saturday or Sunday then they'd have a free weekday to get things done. Being open on weekends doesn't mean each employee working more hours.