join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to DrModem

Premium Member

to DrModem

Re: [Rant] Close on Sunday? Really?

said by DrModem:

^ This is completely true.

Sunday is usually the slowest day in retail.

You never worked in retail.
Saturday and Sunday are the top days.
Weekdays are for restocking shelves from everything you sold on the weekend.
jsbaker
join:2002-07-13
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

jsbaker

Frankly I think they are lucky they were closed and didn't get your business. Let's try out the ole bullshit detector.

Anyone reading this thread should be smart enough to go to discount's website and 1. See that when you choose your store it very plainly shows no hours for Sunday under the store hours. This does assume you chose your store before choosing tires since choosing a store during the checkout process does not show store hours. 2. when you go to make an appointment it will NOT even let you click on any Sunday so it was impossible for you to schedule to a Sunday apptointment with them in the frist place. And I did try more than one store including the Cinco Ranch store.

Discount didn't just stop being open on Sundays last week. i've been going there for over 20 years and have never ever seen one open on a Sunday. It is their right to not be open on Sunday just like Chick fil a or Hobby Lobby. Get over it and get back to life.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to r81984

MVM

to r81984
said by r81984:

I worked at Walgreens for years.

Not a tire store, nor a liquor store, nor a convenience store. Where I worked (24/7 convenience store) Friday and Saturday nights were busiest, Sunday was slowest; and restock was Thursday A.M.

Different stores; even of the same type, and chain, have shift differences, as well. I worked extra hours at some of the other stores. Weekday morning rush was earlier, and heavier in North Sac than in Roseville. Lincoln was all around busier than Roseville. Sundays in Lincoln were not noticeably busier than Fridays, but not not slower, either. But Sundays were slow in Roseville.

I once worked a service station on New Year's Day. Trying to convince the manager that business wouldn't pay my wage was futile. So I opened at 0800 as directed. The manager called about 1030 and asked how business was. I told him: I had had just one customer in two and a half hours. He told me to close it up and go home.

Your expectations are based on a single store in a single location in a single community. Traffic varies by location and type of business. Not counting that management may have different expectations than you have.

Buy that store and run it yourself, or shop somewhere else ... or suck it up and adjust to there hours.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Yeah, Sunday is a big day in retail here. Everyone goes to Sears on Sunday and the husbands go look at tires, tools, etc while their wives look at clothes. Sunday morning is the busiest time. Longs Drugs/CVS has always been mobbed on Sundays starting when they open at 7AM. Saturday evening is dead though for the mall. Friday evening though is busy. What days/hours are big in retail varies, I think, with the area of the country you are in. Where I grew up on the mainland there were blue laws and even today stores there do not open until after church hours are over on Sunday.

Here Sears automotive is open on Sundays. Firestone is across the street and it is open on Sundays. Goodyear (Goodyear owned store) is downtown which is dead on Sundays and it is closed on Sundays. Lex Brodie's is closed here on Sundays but in a small town 20 miles away they are open on Sunday. We don't have a Costco and I did not know that some Wal-Marts have auto repair/tire service? Ours do not nor do they sell gas.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
-accidental post-
Jahntassa

Jahntassa to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by Jahntassa:

Or: Buy the tires he wanted from the place that had them, drive them over to one of the other places that doesn't charge as much for the install.

No one else had them in stock.

Let me rephrase then: BUY the tires at the store that has them in stock, put them in your car, DRIVE to another place to install them, have the cheaper place do the install.

Just because you buy the tires at one store doesn't mean they have to be installed by them, you could have them installed at another store.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to r81984

to r81984
said by r81984:

Why keep lying? You were already proven wrong.
All these tire change shops were open.
Firestone
Pepboys
Walmart
SAMs
Costco
Goodyear
Sears

Most are open Sundays.
It makes no sense discount tire was closed.
Nor why they let u order on their website without telling u they are closed.

With the exception of Costco, I would not let any of these Companies touch my vehicles. To me they are the dregs of the AutoRepair Industry, IMHO.

I will take a Mechanic working out of an Independent Shop any day of the week. With very few exceptions, will do to a dealer. And I have always found a way to make my schedule fit an Independent Shop's hours that are usually M-F. Even though one may be open on a Saturday, will not go in on that day.

We do have a larger Regional Tire Shop in the PNW - Les Schwab that is open Saturdays. Even then I will not go there then, just plain too busy.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

One would think with the prices places like NTB charge they would have the best of the best working there.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Even Melina Mercouri said Sunday was her day of rest.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
In Texas car dealers have to close at least one day a week and most choose Sunday. Repair shops do not have to follow that. Discount just chooses on its own to close then. I personally have never had a problem with them and just go on a day they are open when I find time. As mentioned already, you had many other options that were open on Sunday even in Katy, which I know pretty well.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth

Premium Member

said by ilikeme:

In Texas car dealers have to close at least one day a week and most choose Sunday.

You can't sell a car in Iowa on Sunday either. Auto dealers got together back in the 40's or 50's and had the law passed so their employees would have at least one day off a week.

This grocery store chain is closed on all Sundays. »www.fareway.com/
Expand your moderator at work

SparkDawg
Premium Member
join:2005-01-06
Ypsilanti, MI

SparkDawg to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

Re: [Rant] Close on Sunday? Really?

said by r81984:

said by DrModem:

^ This is completely true.

Sunday is usually the slowest day in retail.

You never worked in retail.
Saturday and Sunday are the top days.
Weekdays are for restocking shelves from everything you sold on the weekend.

When i was working at a grocery retail chain, Saturdays weren't too bad but Sunday... OMG was it busy EVEN DURING CHURCH HOURS!

Also it was a tad busier when people got their checks (and snap allotment) at the beginning of the month.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

As I said some industries have to work opposite hours as everyone else. That is just the way it is.

So why don't you convince your company to close Monday and Tuesday? That way you can work Saturday and Sunday so you get your cheap tires done quickly?

Planning ahead you could have taken an extended lunch and had them done on a weekday.

You have vacation time? take a day off (with pay) and get your tires done.

Call in sick?

Trust me, you're not so valuable that a couple hours off will sink the company.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

My company's customers are open mon to fri, so we have to be open then.

Yes I am that valuable that product lines will be shut down for stupid shit if I am not there to hold hands.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Next time, drop your car off at 7 am and pick it up after work.

Have a friend (if you have any) take you to work, and then pick you up after work and drive you by the shop.

Or, take a taxi. See if the shop has a drop off service.

Or, you can do a little planning and go on Saturday.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Or I will just do it on Sunday when everyone does it.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by r81984:

Or I will just do it on Sunday when everyone does it.

Why do you say "I will just do it on Sunday when everyone does it" when a majority doe not buy tires on a Sunday. I have not yet have bought tire's or had them mounted on a Sunday. You are in the minority of buying tires on a Sunday.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Then why is almost every place open on Sunday?
Why does everyone shop on sundays? (i used to work retail, I know 1st hand)
Oh, yeah. Everyone works during the week so they get things done on saturday and sunday. Those are the busiest days in retail.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

said by r81984:

Those are the busiest days in retail.

For some stores; but not all.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yeah...for downtown stores the weekend is bad and everything except grocery stores are closed downtown on Sunday and open short hours on Saturday. But at malls the biggest shopping days (in fact just about the ONLY ones) are Saturday and Sunday during the day and Friday early evening (Sat evening is poor for the malls and Sunday evening they are closed). Sunday morning is the busiest time of all here for malls.