Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to cableties

Re: [Rant] Close on Sunday? Really?

said by cableties:

I know OP is RANTing (as I do it too) but some points to consider:

All these points have been raised a number of times, but OP refuses to consider them because his convenience and unwillingness to accept he must plan things in advance trump all other considerations.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by DC DSL:

said by cableties:

I know OP is RANTing (as I do it too) but some points to consider:

All these points have been raised a number of times, but OP refuses to consider them because his convenience and unwillingness to accept he must plan things in advance trump all other considerations.

And he's not even right in his ranting.

Here in the northeast, STS Tire is a HUGE chain with many stores, and they are pretty much ALL CLOSED on SUNDAYS.

»www.ststire.com/locations/see-all

----------------------------

Workers want the day off to be with their families, and/or go to church.

There are a LOT of churches in Texas, I believe.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

said by PX Eliezer7:

Here in the northeast, STS Tire is a HUGE chain with many stores, and they are pretty much ALL CLOSED on SUNDAYS.

He tried selling some bogosity about how "everywhere else" they're open on Sundays. He got slapped down real fast. Then he tried arguing that Katy (Pop. 70-something-thousand) was a bigger market than NYC or LA or Detroit or any other metro with a population of millions, so of course ours would all be closed because of the lack of customers but a place in Katy (then everywhere else) had no right.

He's a Happy Meal short of a Happy Meal. I think a few other folks should also ask the mods to lock this because even though his rant has been knocked down repeatedly, it won't change his mind any and it just keeps going in circles.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to BronsCon

said by BronsCon:

Was Discount Tire the only one closed, or was NTB the only one open? Unless those are the only two tire stores within driving range of you, one of those statements is false. Which is it?

Please read.
Only two stores had the tire in stock.
Discount tire even let me place the order/appointment online and never said they were closed. I drove there found them to be closed.
I ended up going to Ntb but there were like 8 other places open, but no tires in stock.
Discount tire lost over $750 and it was stupid they let you order without telling u they are closed.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to DC DSL

said by DC DSL:

said by PX Eliezer7:

He tried selling some bogosity about how "everywhere else" they're open on Sundays. He got slapped down real fast. Then he tried arguing that Katy (Pop. 70-something-thousand) was a bigger market than NYC or LA or Detroit or any other metro with a population of millions, so of course ours would all be closed because of the lack of customers but a place in Katy (then everywhere else) had no right.

He's a Happy Meal short of a Happy Meal. I think a few other folks should also ask the mods to lock this because even though his rant has been knocked down repeatedly, it won't change his mind any and it just keeps going in circles.

Why keep lying? You were already proven wrong.
All these tire change shops were open.
Firestone
Pepboys
Walmart
SAMs
Costco
Goodyear
Sears

Most are open Sundays.
It makes no sense discount tire was closed.
Nor why they let u order on their website without telling u they are closed.
--
Expand your moderator at work

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

said by DC DSL:

said by PX Eliezer7:

Firestone
Pepboys
Walmart
SAMs
Costco
Goodyear
Sears

Most are open Sundays.

Again why did you go Sat. No you waited until it was Sunday. It does make sense. They decided to take a day off just like you have 2 days off.
You mention they lost $700.00. How do figure that. They have to pay tire the company for the tires, the electricity, the workers, the water company, sewage company. It might cost them more to be open then what they bring in. So it might cheaper for them to be closed on Sunday.
If you read discount tire web site you would have read that they are closed on Sunday.
If your tires are warranty for 40000 miles when the you get 30000 miles on them take 1 minute to walk around and see how close the wear indicators are Or you be back here crying the store should open because I do want to get tires on Saturday
--
Caddy

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to r81984

(topic move) [Rant] Close on Sunday? Really?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 31 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »(post #27331546 no longer exists)

CapinPete
Premium
join:2002-12-23
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

said by DC DSL:

Organization and planning ahead. If you can't or won't, then you will continue to have issues until you get with the program. Don't blame or scold anyone else.

You've been served.

Do to work I can only get things done on weekends.
Planning ahead changes nothing.
Most people work m to f thus can only get service done on weekends.
As I said some industries have to work opposite hours as everyone else. That is just the way it is.

If you knew you needed tires and you can't go after 5pm when you get off work (you never mention what time they close on WEEKDAYS but I'm betting there is plenty of time after work) you should have called around and found out who has the tires you needed. If the shop you WANT to go to didn't have them, you could have ordered them with plenty of time to make it to the weekend. I can't believe you just HAD TO HAVE the tires this weekend so badly that you would pay 15% more. You're just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

said by CapinPete:

If you knew you needed tires and you can't go after 5pm when you get off work (you never mention what time they close on WEEKDAYS but I'm betting there is plenty of time after work) you should have called around and found out who has the tires you needed. If the shop you WANT to go to didn't have them, you could have ordered them with plenty of time to make it to the weekend. I can't believe you just HAD TO HAVE the tires this weekend so badly that you would pay 15% more. You're just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Or: Buy the tires he wanted from the place that had them, drive them over to one of the other places that doesn't charge as much for the install.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to neonturbo

said by neonturbo:

I have never understood the philosophy of me being required to work nights, weekends, and holidays because I am an auto mechanic. In the service industry people expect us to give up our lives for the "convenience" of everyone else. These weekends we are expected to work are in addition to our normal weekday shifts. We make almost no money on these tires, oil changes, and other things that everyone wants done on their free time.

I bet you don't volunteer to work weekends, yet you expect everyone else to do this.

its getting to the point today that people think retail should never close ever. I have heard people complain the mall is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas day.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to CapinPete

said by CapinPete:

said by r81984:

said by DC DSL:

Organization and planning ahead. If you can't or won't, then you will continue to have issues until you get with the program. Don't blame or scold anyone else.

You've been served.

Do to work I can only get things done on weekends.
Planning ahead changes nothing.
Most people work m to f thus can only get service done on weekends.
As I said some industries have to work opposite hours as everyone else. That is just the way it is.

Nope, not enough time after work.
I did call around.

Yes I HAD to have the tires this weekend. It rained last week. I started to notice traction problems, so I changed the tires as soon as I could on Sunday as the weatherman said it would rain all this week too.
Before last week no traction problems on 40K tire with a little over 30K miles on them.

I am bitching because places were closed on Sunday.
For retail the two biggest days are saturday and sunday. That is when everyone is off work can spend money.
Some industries have to work opposite everyone else.
Also dont forget how their website lets you place orders for sunday and when you get there they are closed.
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Jahntassa

said by Jahntassa:

Or: Buy the tires he wanted from the place that had them, drive them over to one of the other places that doesn't charge as much for the install.

No one else had them in stock.
--

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to r81984

I just wish my Chick fil A was open on Sundays.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

+1, but Sunday closure is their right, and I won't argue against that.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to RockCake

said by RockCake:

I just wish my Chick fil A was open on Sundays.

That's what I thought this thread was about when I saw the title lol
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

For retail the two biggest days are saturday and sunday.

Seriously? Do you really know retail? For the store where I worked, Friday and Saturday nights were the "biggest" (for the amount of revenue taken in), while Sunday was pretty slow.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA

^ This is completely true.

Sunday is usually the slowest day in retail.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by r81984:

For retail the two biggest days are saturday and sunday.

Seriously? Do you really know retail? For the store where I worked, Friday and Saturday nights were the "biggest" (for the amount of revenue taken in), while Sunday was pretty slow.

I worked at Walgreens for years.
Sunday is one of the biggest days in retail over any weekday.
Friday Night, Saturday and Sunday
Weekdays dont come close to those times.
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to DrModem

said by DrModem:

^ This is completely true.

Sunday is usually the slowest day in retail.

You never worked in retail.
Saturday and Sunday are the top days.
Weekdays are for restocking shelves from everything you sold on the weekend.
--

jsbaker

join:2002-07-13
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Frankly I think they are lucky they were closed and didn't get your business. Let's try out the ole bullshit detector.

Anyone reading this thread should be smart enough to go to discount's website and 1. See that when you choose your store it very plainly shows no hours for Sunday under the store hours. This does assume you chose your store before choosing tires since choosing a store during the checkout process does not show store hours. 2. when you go to make an appointment it will NOT even let you click on any Sunday so it was impossible for you to schedule to a Sunday apptointment with them in the frist place. And I did try more than one store including the Cinco Ranch store.

Discount didn't just stop being open on Sundays last week. i've been going there for over 20 years and have never ever seen one open on a Sunday. It is their right to not be open on Sunday just like Chick fil a or Hobby Lobby. Get over it and get back to life.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

I worked at Walgreens for years.

Not a tire store, nor a liquor store, nor a convenience store. Where I worked (24/7 convenience store) Friday and Saturday nights were busiest, Sunday was slowest; and restock was Thursday A.M.

Different stores; even of the same type, and chain, have shift differences, as well. I worked extra hours at some of the other stores. Weekday morning rush was earlier, and heavier in North Sac than in Roseville. Lincoln was all around busier than Roseville. Sundays in Lincoln were not noticeably busier than Fridays, but not not slower, either. But Sundays were slow in Roseville.

I once worked a service station on New Year's Day. Trying to convince the manager that business wouldn't pay my wage was futile. So I opened at 0800 as directed. The manager called about 1030 and asked how business was. I told him: I had had just one customer in two and a half hours. He told me to close it up and go home.

Your expectations are based on a single store in a single location in a single community. Traffic varies by location and type of business. Not counting that management may have different expectations than you have.

Buy that store and run it yourself, or shop somewhere else ... or suck it up and adjust to there hours.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to r81984

Yeah, Sunday is a big day in retail here. Everyone goes to Sears on Sunday and the husbands go look at tires, tools, etc while their wives look at clothes. Sunday morning is the busiest time. Longs Drugs/CVS has always been mobbed on Sundays starting when they open at 7AM. Saturday evening is dead though for the mall. Friday evening though is busy. What days/hours are big in retail varies, I think, with the area of the country you are in. Where I grew up on the mainland there were blue laws and even today stores there do not open until after church hours are over on Sunday.

Here Sears automotive is open on Sundays. Firestone is across the street and it is open on Sundays. Goodyear (Goodyear owned store) is downtown which is dead on Sundays and it is closed on Sundays. Lex Brodie's is closed here on Sundays but in a small town 20 miles away they are open on Sunday. We don't have a Costco and I did not know that some Wal-Marts have auto repair/tire service? Ours do not nor do they sell gas.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Jahntassa
Premium
Conway, SC
reply to r81984

-accidental post-

Jahntassa
Premium
Conway, SC
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

said by Jahntassa:

No one else had them in stock.

Let me rephrase then: BUY the tires at the store that has them in stock, put them in your car, DRIVE to another place to install them, have the cheaper place do the install.

Just because you buy the tires at one store doesn't mean they have to be installed by them, you could have them installed at another store.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

Firestone
Pepboys
Walmart
SAMs
Costco
Goodyear
Sears

Most are open Sundays.

With the exception of Costco, I would not let any of these Companies touch my vehicles. To me they are the dregs of the AutoRepair Industry, IMHO.

I will take a Mechanic working out of an Independent Shop any day of the week. With very few exceptions, will do to a dealer. And I have always found a way to make my schedule fit an Independent Shop's hours that are usually M-F. Even though one may be open on a Saturday, will not go in on that day.

We do have a larger Regional Tire Shop in the PNW - Les Schwab that is open Saturdays. Even then I will not go there then, just plain too busy.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX

One would think with the prices places like NTB charge they would have the best of the best working there.
--

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to r81984

Even Melina Mercouri said Sunday was her day of rest.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to r81984

In Texas car dealers have to close at least one day a week and most choose Sunday. Repair shops do not have to follow that. Discount just chooses on its own to close then. I personally have never had a problem with them and just go on a day they are open when I find time. As mentioned already, you had many other options that were open on Sunday even in Katy, which I know pretty well.