Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

[Vista] 512 to 4K sector = ESENT FUBAR

32 bit Windows Vista SP2
I got a 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Black drive to replace the 250GB Western Digital Scorpio Black drive in my HP laptop. The old one was made in 2009. I cloned the old onto the new using Acronis TI.
I've run into some problems, likely caused the old one having sector size of 512bytes and the new one is 4KB.
One of the problems is that Windows Update is hosed. I can't check for updates and the update log is empty. There's a Windows hotfix for this, KB2470478. Problem is that when I try to install it Windows Update Standalone Installer encounters error: 0xc8000222 and fails.
Searching the 'net I've found other people have had the same problem but I can't find a fix.
When I booted with the new disk Windows Vista said it needed a new driver. I told it to find it, which it installed. I can't find a driver on the WD website.
There are dozens of entries in the Event Log with
wuaueng.dll (1172) SUS20ClientDataStore: Unable to read the header of logfile C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log. Error -546.
Any ideas how to fix this?

--
What happens on the internet stays on the internet. Forever.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

Did you try the following
Stop the windows update service
Delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder
Delete the C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log file
ensure the tiem is synced with an NTP server
start the windows update service

Also do

quote:
C:\>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565

Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: KOITSU

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 112 GB 1024 KB

DISKPART>

to check that the disk is alligned
and run checkdisk

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to vaxvms

FWIW: 0xc8000222 is STATUS_LOST_WRITEBEHIND_DATA

which seems to indicate you're having problems with actual disk I/O.

Whoops, no it isn't. 0xc0000222 would be STATUS_LOST_WRITEBEHIND_DATA

The 800 in digits 4 to 6 means the code is not defined by the 'system' facility, so standard definitions don't apply. And 800 is not a facility that is defined in the standard header.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to DarkLogix

Deleting all the update files has Windows Update working. Thanks.

Now to figure out why Windows Mail declared my message store corrupt and why it's taken upon itself to look everywhere and recover everything it finds. I had a copy of an Outlook Express folder from an old laptop on a different partition and now all of those messages are in a Recovered Mail folder.
--
What happens on the internet stays on the internet. Forever.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

did you do the chkdsk run? and check the alignment?
it could be its not alligned and as the data was on on the old design drive some has gotten odd being mis-alligned (maybe)
chkdsk might help with some of the corruption (I'd bet the software distro folder was also corrupt thus why deleting it fixed it.

I always delete it before making an image because the windows update service will recreate it.

also I delete the log because it get very long and again the service will recreate it (makes reviewing it easier.)

Glad that windows update is working

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to vaxvms

Guesswork: If an app takes the unusual action of doing unbuffered disk I/O, then the app needs to arrange to have its I/O on natural physical boundaries. This can affect the app's decision about internal file layout -- e.g., it may have decided on a structure suitable for the then-current 512KB storage granularity.

I can't see why Windows Mail would want to do unbuffered I/O, though.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Who knows I know outlook can get picky about anything messing with its files.

If it were outlook and an OST (linked to an exch) I'd say delete it and let outlook rebuild the OST.