Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to slajoh01

Re: Using Wireless Internet without a PC?

I would recommend purchasing a router that can perform a firmware update without first downloading the firmware to a PC and then uploading it to the router. My Netgear WNDR3400 can automatically download and install a firmware update without using a PC.

On the other hand, be aware that some firmware updates will change router settings making it difficult or impossible to get back in without resetting the router to the default state. In one case I updated the firmware on a Cradlepoint PHS300 router automatically and could no longer access it. Since the PHS300 does not have an Ethernet connection I suffered severe heartburn trying to access the router. It turns out that during the firmware update the WPS security function was reset to none. When I tried to access the device using the original configuration for the SSID of the router through the connect to a network window on the PC, I was unsuccessful. I had to delete the existing configuration for the SSID in the PC and recreate it without a WPS password to access the PHS300. It would have been easier to access the router via a wired connection if there was one. Also consider how you will access an all in one machine to scan or print without using a PC.