how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grouchy58

join:2010-05-10
Elora, ON

Why not add an 8th digit?

OK, no secret, north america running out of numbers thanks to mobile devices....so instead og forcing 10 digit dialling and splitting up existing area codes and having the 2nd digit of a number start with a 0 or 1, like an area code, why no simply add a 0 to each existing number, turn 555-1212 format into 5551-2120, or even better, 5550-1212, 967-1111 becomes 9670-1111, etc...

This way, you just increased the available numbers 10-fold.
This is nothing new...numbers have increased from 5 to 6 to 7 digits as subscribers increased in the 1900's...

Why have they not done it this time?

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
Because that does not conform with the North American Numbering Plan. Making that kind of change would cost a lot of money vs dimpling adding and spouting area codes and making 10 digit dialing mandatory.

desseb

join:2012-06-01
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Grouchy58
You underestimate the sheer number of systems that would have to be updated to work off of an 8th digit for phone numbers. Think of every place you've had to enter your phone number and you'll be starting to get a picture.

Far easier to keep to the standard and use new area codes.

phone22589

@bell.ca
Hmmm, not buying these replies in an age of digital switching. What did our grandparents do when they went from 6 to 7 digits? Mechanical switching to boot.

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to Grouchy58
I suspect phone numbers won't last much longer. Within the next 20-30 years we'll all be using VoIP-based services with SIP URIs instead of geographic phone numbers. Wouldn't it be easier to just tell your friend to call you at yourname@voip.co instead of +15557771234?

rogerssmoger

@start.ca
said by ajhaji:

I suspect phone numbers won't last much longer. Within the next 20-30 years we'll all be using VoIP-based services with SIP URIs instead of geographic phone numbers. Wouldn't it be easier to just tell your friend to call you at yourname@voip.co instead of +15557771234?

No it wouldn't. Phone numbers will never go away.

rebmem

@rogers.com
reply to Grouchy58
As others have stated it would cost a huge amount of money and disrupt commerce and drive everyone nuts. Eg Let's order pizza...oh crap what's the number? Was it 9670-11110, or was it 9671-11111? Intelligent individuals like yourself may adapt to it, but think about everyone else.

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
reply to rogerssmoger
said by rogerssmoger :

Phone numbers will never go away.

We shall see...

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to phone22589
said by phone22589 :

Hmmm, not buying these replies in an age of digital switching. What did our grandparents do when they went from 6 to 7 digits? Mechanical switching to boot.

Grandparents didn't have the massive system in place that needed to be changed. The only thing they needed to change was their personal paper phone directory.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to phone22589
Every database that stores a phone number.
Every human interface to those databases.
Every phone switch.

What happens to all those businesses that run phone switches that are no longer supported?

Think Y2K X10

The effort is not worth it.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to Grouchy58
The biggest waste of telephone numbers is that every CLEC is required to obtain a block of 10,000 numbers for every exchange they want to offer numbers in.

Dumb dumb dumb.

They should have implemented 1000 block pooling in Canada like they did in the states.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

battleop

join:2005-09-28
Not true...

If you are going into a new market you are issued a 10,000 block and then you keep the leading 1,000 block and donate the rest back.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Grouchy58
said by Grouchy58:

OK, no secret, north america running out of numbers thanks to mobile devices....so instead og forcing 10 digit dialling and splitting up existing area codes and having the 2nd digit of a number start with a 0 or 1, like an area code, why no simply add a 0 to each existing number, turn 555-1212 format into 5551-2120, or even better, 5550-1212, 967-1111 becomes 9670-1111, etc...

There is a World Wide Numbering Plan, and depending on what you dial it takes you to the right place and rings your Phone. What you propose, every Switch would have to be modified and who would send out this information. If you want to go to 8 digits, or whatever, you can do it in your own home. Get a small Home Switch and you can program the Phones off of it anyway you want.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

Not true...

If you are going into a new market you are issued a 10,000 block and then you keep the leading 1,000 block and donate the rest back.

There is no mechanism to donate numbers. I have a whole pile of sparsely populated NPA-NXXs that will likely never get even 1% assigned. Most of our customers are port ins from the ILEC.
--

nokiatech

join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL
reply to Grouchy58
Won't matter soon enough anyway. We'll all just be a collection of IP addresses that nobody will have to remember anyway.

battleop

reply to HeadSpinning
There most certainly is a mechanism to donate 1000 blocks. nationalpooling.com is the site contains the information. We didn't get a choice, we HAD to donate 1000 blocks back in the markets where we have added facilities.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
reply to Grouchy58
at some point there will probably be a 4th digit in the area code

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

There most certainly is a mechanism to donate 1000 blocks. nationalpooling.com is the site contains the information. We didn't get a choice, we HAD to donate 1000 blocks back in the markets where we have added facilities.

Right. I already said that we should have 1000 block pooling in Canada, but we don't so we can't do what you say. If you look the name of the site is "NATIONALpooling" - specifically referring to the NATION of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. The rules are different there - in CANADA we do not have this option.

By the way, welcome to the Bell CANADA forum.
--

battleop

1 recommendation

My mistake.. I am glad you got a chance to use your shift key today.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
said by battleop:

My mistake.. I am glad you got a chance to use your shift key today.

I'm glad you had a chance to exercise your reading and comprehension skills today.
--

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

said by battleop:

Not true...

There is no mechanism to donate numbers. I have a whole pile of sparsely populated NPA-NXXs that will likely never get even 1% assigned. Most of our customers are port ins from the ILEC.

....Ok, then I have a question, specific to 705-479-XXXX

How does Vonage and Teksavvy's VOIP offering and I believe Babytel all use numbers from this exchange then?

Surely they'd all have to have their own prefixes, no?

I'm just curious how they can all use the same exchange unless numbers were shared somehow?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
705-479 is ISP Telecom. They're a CLEC.

Teksavvy, Vonage and BabyTel are merely resellers.
--

kjpwvu

@frontiernet.net
recently had to start dialing the area code in West Virginia (two years maybe?), for me it was a pain as I had to go and program in 304 to every fire alarm dialer on campus as they as started sending line fault troubles.

I'll admit we should have been more ready as an organization (I had just started to be fair ), but just one small example of the headache it causes when anything gets altered with the phone system.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
Welcome to the 20th century and 10 digit dialing
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to rebmem
The Brits have dealt with that already

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWc3WY3fuZU

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

said by HeadSpinning:

said by battleop:

Not true...

....Ok, then I have a question, specific to 705-479-XXXX

How does Vonage and Teksavvy's VOIP offering and I believe Babytel all use numbers from this exchange then?

Surely they'd all have to have their own prefixes, no?

I'm just curious how they can all use the same exchange unless numbers were shared somehow?

Have you heard of Number Porting? You can take your Number to any Phone Company. Buying Blocks of Numbers gets particular, and I guess there are certain restrictions.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by alchav:

Have you heard of Number Porting? You can take your Number to any Phone Company. Buying Blocks of Numbers gets particular, and I guess there are certain restrictions.

That's not the reason. As HeadSpinning See Profile mentioned above, that block belongs to ISP Telecom which is the CLEC that all of the VoIP providers mentioned are buying their DIDs from.