Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL

Re: [Rant] Close on Sunday? Really?

said by DC DSL:

Organization and planning ahead. If you can't or won't, then you will continue to have issues until you get with the program. Don't blame or scold anyone else.

You've been served.

Do to work I can only get things done on weekends.
Planning ahead changes nothing.
Most people work m to f thus can only get service done on weekends.
As I said some industries have to work opposite hours as everyone else. That is just the way it is.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

As was pointed out, Costco Tires are open 7 days a week.

You're just whining because you didn't get what you wanted, when you wanted it, at the price you wanted.

"Your lack of planning, is not my emergency."

Planning ahead changes EVERYTHING.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

As I said some industries have to work opposite hours as everyone else. That is just the way it is.

The moral of the story here is don't wait until right before a week of bad rain to get your tires changed.

Alternatively, you could always have asked a favor of a co-worker to meet you at a tire place and drive you to work and back to pick up the car on a M-F. You could have picked one near work and walked. You could have taken a cab, you could have rented a car for the day. You could also have asked if any offered pick-up+delivery service. You could also have asked for an hour or two off first thing in the morning/extended lunch/leave work early.
Expand your moderator at work

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

said by r81984:

said by DC DSL:

Organization and planning ahead. If you can't or won't, then you will continue to have issues until you get with the program. Don't blame or scold anyone else.

You've been served.

Your tires did not got bad just over night. They probably been bad for the last 5 months. You should been checking them often since they had 35k miles on them. If you checked them you could have gotten them replace at discount tire on a Saturday the week end day to did not work.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

It did rain a few times before, never had a problem then.
It is actually closer to the 30K mark.
Last tires I had were 60K they did not have any problems and I changed them at 65K due to the tread finally being too low.

CapinPete
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
West Palm Beach, FL

CapinPete to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by DC DSL:

You've been served.

If you knew you needed tires and you can't go after 5pm when you get off work (you never mention what time they close on WEEKDAYS but I'm betting there is plenty of time after work) you should have called around and found out who has the tires you needed. If the shop you WANT to go to didn't have them, you could have ordered them with plenty of time to make it to the weekend. I can't believe you just HAD TO HAVE the tires this weekend so badly that you would pay 15% more. You're just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

said by CapinPete:

If you knew you needed tires and you can't go after 5pm when you get off work (you never mention what time they close on WEEKDAYS but I'm betting there is plenty of time after work) you should have called around and found out who has the tires you needed. If the shop you WANT to go to didn't have them, you could have ordered them with plenty of time to make it to the weekend. I can't believe you just HAD TO HAVE the tires this weekend so badly that you would pay 15% more. You're just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Or: Buy the tires he wanted from the place that had them, drive them over to one of the other places that doesn't charge as much for the install.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to CapinPete

Premium Member

to CapinPete
said by CapinPete:

said by r81984:

said by DC DSL:

You've been served.

Nope, not enough time after work.
I did call around.

Yes I HAD to have the tires this weekend. It rained last week. I started to notice traction problems, so I changed the tires as soon as I could on Sunday as the weatherman said it would rain all this week too.
Before last week no traction problems on 40K tire with a little over 30K miles on them.

I am bitching because places were closed on Sunday.
For retail the two biggest days are saturday and sunday. That is when everyone is off work can spend money.
Some industries have to work opposite everyone else.
Also dont forget how their website lets you place orders for sunday and when you get there they are closed.
r81984

r81984 to Jahntassa

Premium Member

to Jahntassa
said by Jahntassa:

Or: Buy the tires he wanted from the place that had them, drive them over to one of the other places that doesn't charge as much for the install.

No one else had them in stock.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to r81984

MVM

to r81984
said by r81984:

For retail the two biggest days are saturday and sunday.

Seriously? Do you really know retail? For the store where I worked, Friday and Saturday nights were the "biggest" (for the amount of revenue taken in), while Sunday was pretty slow.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

^ This is completely true.

Sunday is usually the slowest day in retail.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by r81984:

For retail the two biggest days are saturday and sunday.

Seriously? Do you really know retail? For the store where I worked, Friday and Saturday nights were the "biggest" (for the amount of revenue taken in), while Sunday was pretty slow.

I worked at Walgreens for years.
Sunday is one of the biggest days in retail over any weekday.
Friday Night, Saturday and Sunday
Weekdays dont come close to those times.
r81984

r81984 to DrModem

Premium Member

to DrModem
said by DrModem:

You never worked in retail.
Saturday and Sunday are the top days.
Weekdays are for restocking shelves from everything you sold on the weekend.
jsbaker
join:2002-07-13
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

jsbaker

Frankly I think they are lucky they were closed and didn't get your business. Let's try out the ole bullshit detector.

Anyone reading this thread should be smart enough to go to discount's website and 1. See that when you choose your store it very plainly shows no hours for Sunday under the store hours. This does assume you chose your store before choosing tires since choosing a store during the checkout process does not show store hours. 2. when you go to make an appointment it will NOT even let you click on any Sunday so it was impossible for you to schedule to a Sunday apptointment with them in the frist place. And I did try more than one store including the Cinco Ranch store.

Discount didn't just stop being open on Sundays last week. i've been going there for over 20 years and have never ever seen one open on a Sunday. It is their right to not be open on Sunday just like Chick fil a or Hobby Lobby. Get over it and get back to life.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to r81984

MVM

to r81984
said by r81984:

I worked at Walgreens for years.

Not a tire store, nor a liquor store, nor a convenience store. Where I worked (24/7 convenience store) Friday and Saturday nights were busiest, Sunday was slowest; and restock was Thursday A.M.

Different stores; even of the same type, and chain, have shift differences, as well. I worked extra hours at some of the other stores. Weekday morning rush was earlier, and heavier in North Sac than in Roseville. Lincoln was all around busier than Roseville. Sundays in Lincoln were not noticeably busier than Fridays, but not not slower, either. But Sundays were slow in Roseville.

I once worked a service station on New Year's Day. Trying to convince the manager that business wouldn't pay my wage was futile. So I opened at 0800 as directed. The manager called about 1030 and asked how business was. I told him: I had had just one customer in two and a half hours. He told me to close it up and go home.

Your expectations are based on a single store in a single location in a single community. Traffic varies by location and type of business. Not counting that management may have different expectations than you have.

Buy that store and run it yourself, or shop somewhere else ... or suck it up and adjust to there hours.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Yeah, Sunday is a big day in retail here. Everyone goes to Sears on Sunday and the husbands go look at tires, tools, etc while their wives look at clothes. Sunday morning is the busiest time. Longs Drugs/CVS has always been mobbed on Sundays starting when they open at 7AM. Saturday evening is dead though for the mall. Friday evening though is busy. What days/hours are big in retail varies, I think, with the area of the country you are in. Where I grew up on the mainland there were blue laws and even today stores there do not open until after church hours are over on Sunday.

Here Sears automotive is open on Sundays. Firestone is across the street and it is open on Sundays. Goodyear (Goodyear owned store) is downtown which is dead on Sundays and it is closed on Sundays. Lex Brodie's is closed here on Sundays but in a small town 20 miles away they are open on Sunday. We don't have a Costco and I did not know that some Wal-Marts have auto repair/tire service? Ours do not nor do they sell gas.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
-accidental post-
Jahntassa

Jahntassa to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by Jahntassa:

No one else had them in stock.

Let me rephrase then: BUY the tires at the store that has them in stock, put them in your car, DRIVE to another place to install them, have the cheaper place do the install.

Just because you buy the tires at one store doesn't mean they have to be installed by them, you could have them installed at another store.
Expand your moderator at work

SparkDawg
Premium Member
join:2005-01-06
Ypsilanti, MI

SparkDawg to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

said by r81984:

said by DrModem:

You never worked in retail.
Saturday and Sunday are the top days.
Weekdays are for restocking shelves from everything you sold on the weekend.

When i was working at a grocery retail chain, Saturdays weren't too bad but Sunday... OMG was it busy EVEN DURING CHURCH HOURS!

Also it was a tad busier when people got their checks (and snap allotment) at the beginning of the month.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

So why don't you convince your company to close Monday and Tuesday? That way you can work Saturday and Sunday so you get your cheap tires done quickly?

Planning ahead you could have taken an extended lunch and had them done on a weekday.

You have vacation time? take a day off (with pay) and get your tires done.

Call in sick?

Trust me, you're not so valuable that a couple hours off will sink the company.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

My company's customers are open mon to fri, so we have to be open then.

Yes I am that valuable that product lines will be shut down for stupid shit if I am not there to hold hands.