spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jepherz

join:2006-09-12

Internet and alarm system...

I looked at my wired feet distance for sonic before and comparing to some internet speed graphs our speed should be atleast 15mbps easy. I don't remember how many wired feet but it was real close. But we only get 10mb max with wired and about 6-7.5mbps wireless. Internet was at least steady back then. What's been happening alot lately though is we would slow all the way down to 56k speeds while our upload is still pretty much entirely free.

What I'm aware of though is a alarm system can interfere with the internet. We do have a filter in the alarm system, but that is why I'm posting. It looks just like an old modem filter we had. The brand is 2wire and so was our old modem's. I wonder if that really is just our old modem filter in there? It has 2 slots, 1 for phone and 1 for internet. Which slot should the phone line in the alarm system be plugged into the filter? Is this even the right kind of filter to use? I ran into a website before that sells these filters for alarm systems and remember it only had 1 slot and am wondering if it'd make a difference to use that instead. Would this be sufficient to improve our internet connection (both speed wise and stability)? Or would I really have to get the connection split completely between the alarm system and internet?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
It is hard to understand from your description how your DSL line is wired. A properly installed alarm system is the first item after the NID and the phone line is routed through the alarm system so that it can interrupt any ongoing call in order to place the alarm call.

Placing a DSL microfilter in front of the alarm system would block the DSL signal from anything behind it (which would include the DSL modem!).

The only sensible way to combine the partially conflicting requirements of DSL and a secure alarm system is to install a POTS splitter between NID and alarm system. The inhouse phone wiring remains attached at the output side of the alarm system just like it is now (or at least how it should be now). A new twisted pair cable needs to be connected to the data terminal of the POTS splitter and must only be connected to the DSL modem and nothing else.

Note: none of this explains why you sometimes see 10mbps and at other times 56kbps unless someone is playing around with adding/removing filters.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!