how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vermilion

join:2011-12-18
Columbus, MS

Don't even know where to begin.

Service has been garbage for 5-6 months. 50mbps plan and I've NEVER even seen half that since I got it. I literally had to beg customer service to send out a tech. They kept on and on about some stupid service charge if they didn't find anything wrong. They fail to see that I pay like $60 a month for their garbage, whats another $40 to see if they can fix it. I've been getting speedtests that have my upload higher than my download. Course with my upload capped at 2mb the download is usually .5 to 1.5mb. On the speedtests, instead of it starting at zero and then hauling butt up to my cap, it bounces up and down like you're revving a motor and the tachometer bounces up and down.

So anyway I had an appointment for a CableOne tech to come out this past Friday sometime in between 8am and noon. Guy shows up at 630pm. As soon as he comes in the door he starts saying stuff like "its too late in the day for me to really do any good tests or anything" I was thinking to myself that that's his problem and not mine. Took half a day off from work to sit around waiting and ended up having to take the rest off as well. Anyway, he says there was a local problem and that it has already been taken care of but, I wasn't going to let him get away with that lame excuse. Told him I'd had problems for months and had to beg to get this tech etc. Told him I wanted him to check the noise in my lines and if need be, run new lines in the very near future. He plugs up his tool to the cable and then goes outside to the box on the side of my house then comes back in and says "there is absolutely NO noise inside your house, on the box on the side of your house nore on the pole outside". He mumbled something about all he could do was to report it on Monday.

The cableone.net and speedtest.net speed tests I ran before and after he was gone were around 1.5mb download and 1.75 upload. I do believe the results were even worse after he "checked" my lines. I'm going to be calling my local office and hounding them to send a tech who actually gave half a crap on Monday.

I thought I was going to be worrying about their 50gb cap but, since service is such crap I've never managed to break 5% of it. I watch YouTube and Netflix on my 3G Verizon on iphone and ipad.

Anyone else being dealing with this garbage lately?

cableonehs

@cableone.net

1.5mbps out of 50mbps is "inexcusable"... especially if that has been the norm for months. That tech should have never left your house knowing you were only getting those speeds when compared to the speeds you're paying for. Definitely something wrong.

You need to call your local office and speak directly with the GM. Explain what happened with the tech over the weekend and demand that they have their "senior tech" investigate immediately. Their "lower level" techs are just splitter changers and line testers. It takes a senior tech to really get to the "heart" of the problem.

I'd also be demanding some service credits, too.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to Vermilion

The tech probably already did whatever he could as far as testing goes. You can still get awful speeds even with the cleanest cable signal.

The problem sounds like it might be more upstream in an area where low level techs aren't typically allowed. The best they can do is probably submit tickets or notify their managers.

In my experience they've always been good to call me and let me know if the issue is being taken care of but then again, every office is different.

I imagine they'd probably credit you somehow for the paltry speeds if you ask.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Vermilion

Columbus, MS

Tech came out again yesterday and didn't really do much. He SAID he switched out some equipment but didn't go into detail. I just got off the phone with CS and they said theres something wrong in my area. And that their engineer's are looking into it. The same thing they say every single time you call in to complain. I had enough of their excuses and not being able to give me a half decent straight answer so I hung up on the service lady. They go crazy if you want to run a Speedtest.net or Pingtest.net rather than the Cableone.net speedtest. I HATE the cableone.net speedtest because it starts off dog slow, say 200kbps and stays there for half the test then all of a sudden its at 45,000kbps. I keep telling them its not the numbers per se its how it gets there. Its very intermittent and inconsistent. I'm just tired of being told everything is running right or their engineers are working on it (for over 6 months?). You mention anything at all about ping and they ignore you or say that its inconclusive.

Here is a Speedtest to Memphis, TN which is the closest test. And then a Pingtest to Atlanta, GA which is the closest.

And now a Cableone.net test.

areoh

join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

There's def something going on. Have you tried to speak to the local IP manager directly? Most are willing to speak directly to customers.
--
»www.areoh.com

areoh

join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO
reply to Vermilion

What type of trace route results do you get when you run a test to local.speedtest.cableone.net?

FYI, I like to use the »PingPlotter.com utility to visually trace the route (setting trace Intervals to 1 sec.)
--
»www.areoh.com

mGr

join:2012-07-01
Columbus, MS

Those numbers are horrible. I went through some problems like this last fall. Did you isolate your network equipment? Meaning, it could be a problem on your network and not with the service its self. Check your routers, modems and Cat5 cables etc. I had a bad Cat5 cable give me all kinds of problems. Now a lot of that kind of troubleshooting isn't something a cable tech is always savvy about.

Good luck.

Vermilion

Columbus, MS
reply to Vermilion

Here is a local speedtest traceroute.

traceroute to local.speedtest.cableone.net (24.116.2.50), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1) 1.290 ms 1.785 ms 0.464 ms
2 96.19.192.1 (96.19.192.1) 191.215 ms 90.863 ms 30.359 ms
3 192.168.26.77 (192.168.26.77) 94.836 ms 75.894 ms 161.864 ms
4 192.168.100.189 (192.168.100.189) 123.403 ms 150.604 ms 97.833 ms
5 local.speedtest.cableone.net (24.116.2.50) 89.348 ms !Z 160.408 ms !Z 60.733 ms !Z

I'll have to find my windows laptop to try pingplotter utility, currently on a iMac.

I've ruled out my router which is an Apple Airport Router. The cable modem is a Motorola SB6120 I think and its only about 6 months old, but I guess anything is possible. I guess I can go get some nice high quality CAT5 cable and try that. I will also be speaking with my local office tomorrow.