share rss forum feed

saboken

join:2003-10-12
Johnstown, PA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

Atlantic Broadband is the 15th largest cable provider in the

Atlantic Broadband is the 15th largest cable provider in the United States

Wow there must only be 15 cable providers in the USA because I can say I hate ABB but have no other options at this time after everything I have been through they have the worst line up channel per $ and worst support I have seen in the markets I have lived in while traveling with the Military now that I am settled down I am stuck with this company until FiOs finishes there fiber install or a bigger company puts them out of there misery here in PA!

osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD

They're up for sale.

You'll get FiOS when hell freezes over in Johnstown. Most of Pittsburgh can't get it.

saboken

Johnstown, PA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

IDK there are new Verizon Fiber lines being installed right now they made it so far about 100 yards from my house and when calling Verizon about it they said something about they need to get something established first! I forget what but it will be at least a Year till consumers can get it! I see this a hint that those Fiber lines are Fios and once they get the infrastructure finished and tested it could be coming they gave it to Indiana Pa and that's nowhere near a large city! I don't have my hopes up but ABB is done here if FiOS happens.

osravens

Cumberland, MD

Indiana doesn't have FiOS.

To my knowledge, there isn't a single line of fiber from Verizon outside of Allegheny County until you get to Harrisburg.

saboken

Johnstown, PA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

Ok your right it was a roll out map! but this link shows active FioS and Orfield PA is on it that town has like 3000 people in it I know I lived there so It is available in areas you would not think it should be but I am not here to argue about fios my thread is about ABB not Verizon but There is fiber going up here this is fact!!! I am done I am looking for people being burned by ABB that use Cable Cards!!!! »www.consumerfiber.com/fios-availability

osravens

Cumberland, MD

Orefield is also in Lehigh County, and has a close proximity to Allentown.

Your list shows 1 municipality/township in Western Pennsylvania outside of Allegheny County, and that's Peters Township in northern Washington County on the border, who has one of the higher per capita incomes in the Pittsburgh area.

Verizon has stopped the deployment of FiOS. They're not laying fiber in Johnstown or Indiana. Period. They don't even have any intentions to lay fiber in Westmoreland County. I wish you were right, but all Verizon is doing in our areas is milking copper until they can sell it to a slumlord like Frontier/Fairpoint as they did in WV or rip it out of the ground without penalty.

Quite frankly, it's idiotic to even use a CableCard with ABB considering the lack of an all digital system in Altoona/Johnstown/Cumberland. A Ceton tuner will not pick up analog channels, meaning that you will be missing a lot of main channels. I say this with our system here in Cumberland having 16 more HD cable channels than yours (Our unique situation adds a few more HD locals to that), and even that's not sufficient enough to build an HTPC for, IMO.

I agree that ABB's channel offerings are dreadful. Unfortunately, they're not going to get any better until the big sale. Unless you have something keeping you with ABB TV as I do with local sports offerings, Dish or DirecTV would be a better fit for you, of course, you can't use your Ceton with that.

saboken

Johnstown, PA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

Well I just got off the phone with ABB and there sweating because they were refusing to honor my discounts and Ceton provided me with info to pass onto them so I am making progress!

As far as not being all digital your right but the law passed last year states that any channel there equipment provides I must receive with a cable card they don't know what they are going to do about it but they said they will figure something out!

And yes I only get channels 100 up and some of the channels below that in HD so I am only missing a small amount of channels, I don't know what they intend to do but they have to either give me a discount for the missing channels or sister all the analog channels in digital.

This is how things get done people around here seem to be afraid to speak up! but I will be there worst nightmare until they obey the law!

They know I can still sue them for a installer stealing my legally blind wife's medication and this was caught on camera! the installer was just convicted on the 15th for it! so I am kinda holding the hammer! I am really pissed since they did not offer me anything for there employees action and they now know I still have a year to file suite!

I have been playing nice since I own my own business dealing in security systems and I am liable for my employees actions! and so are they! I gave them a break and now that I have a CC they refused to credit me the rental fees! there best offer was $2.00

osravens

Cumberland, MD
reply to saboken

They're not encrypting the analogs, and preventing you from receiving them.

They're not going to offer you anything for that. There are analog tuners out there, but there's not an analog/digital tuner, and considering most other cable companies either have significantly invested in switched digital video to increase HD capacity or went all digital, this product likely won't exist.

saboken

Johnstown, PA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

The newest Tivo 4 tuner is exactly the same Digital only the law says they have to provide all channels thru the Cable card bottom point I am not here to make a argument about this Do you work for ABB you seem to know every thing they are going to do or not do!!!

Expand your moderator at work

osravens

Cumberland, MD
reply to saboken

Re: Atlantic Broadband is the 15th largest cable provider in the

I do not work for ABB. I've worked closely enough with them enough from Day 1 when they took over the Charter systems to know how it is.

It's still sadly better than anything Verizon or Dish Network ever threw at me.

The analog channels are still accessible to you, they're just only going to be fed directly into the TV via coax, and you won't be able to record them. ABB is working within the framework of the FCC, your equipment is the problem, not them.

Uniontown, South Florida and the MD Eastern Shore units are all digital, I'm not sure if the locals are as well (It wouldn't matter as you'd have the HD locals). I don't know when or if Altoona/Johnstown and Cumberland ever will. If anyone from ABB knows and wants to tell us, we're waiting. When I have called them to ask whether anything new is coming, no one can tell me anything.

When we got our new HD channels down here (12 of them you guys don't have up there), I found them December 23rd on the guide as a surprise, and we had them live Christmas Eve. A week before I had called them, and they told us we would not be getting anything here for a long time.

Considering I'm under a Triple Play that will start escalating in price next month, the clock is ticking on them improving this channel lineup. Every day I get closer and closer to DirecTV.