uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bigzizzzle
Premium
join:2005-01-27
Franklin, TN
kudos:1

[rant] Siri vs Google

So me and my sister were looking for a coffee shop the other day.

Me = Droid Bionic

Her = Iphone 4S

Sister:
We start with Siri. "Coffee shops in East Nashville"
Siri's Reply " Im sorry I can't locate sex shops in iceland"

Me
" Coffee Shops in East Nashville"
Bingo presto logical valid results.

Anyone else think siri really sucks. My sister has the clearest American english voice ever.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
I turned it off on my 4s.

Bigzizzzle
Premium
Franklin, TN
reply to Bigzizzzle
Its funny she has never got it to work like how they market it on those fancy commercials.

I know its still in Beta but jeez. Its not like we have ethnic voices or anything which could blur the lines of voice recognition.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

2 recommendations

said by Bigzizzzle:

Its funny she has never got it to work like how they market it on those fancy commercials.

I know its still in Beta but jeez. Its not like we have ethnic voices or anything which could blur the lines of voice recognition.

You are in Tennessee, that is pretty ethnic to me

Bigzizzzle
Premium
Franklin, TN
We were both born in the Midwest. Not far from Canada. we don't have those southern twang voices.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Bigzizzzle:

We were both born in the Midwest. Not far from Canada. we don't have those southern twang voices.

When I was in North Carolina a few times for work, people guessed I was from California because I "spoke like on TV".

Still if I sound Californian, where Siri was designed, why is it still useless? I got to the point I never bothered trying anymore and as mentioned, turned it off.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Bigzizzzle
Remember Siri is still considered a beta

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Jackarino:

Remember Siri is still considered a beta

Yet its been marketed as the key feature of the iPhone 4S.

IMO it doesn't matter if it's beta or not. It rarely works right.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Bigzizzzle
I almost never use Siri either.

I love the voice dictation features, but Siri itself (herself?) isn't very useful to me. And the few times I decide to try it, I usually get some useless answer or it misinterprets my question.

The voice dictation can understand me just fine and I do enjoy sending texts that way, but my wife (who is Thai) absolutely cannot use it. With her accent, it can't make heads or tails of what she is saying.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24
reply to Bigzizzzle
Click for full size
I asked it up in Massachusetts and by simply saying TN it replied correctly.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...

Bigzizzzle
Premium
Franklin, TN
Ugly Mugs is a good place btw. What app do you use for screen caps? require jail breaking?

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
It's built in. Hold down the round button and briefly depress the sleep button. The capture goes into the Camera Roll.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Bigzizzzle
said by Bigzizzzle:

What app do you use for screen caps? require jail breaking?

Hold the home button and the sleep button and the screen will "flash" then the screenshot is saved into your camera roll.

It's a built in feature, it doesn't require a JB.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Bigzizzzle
Premium
Franklin, TN
thanks i'll let my sister know about that.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Bigzizzzle
said by Bigzizzzle:

Ugly Mugs is a good place btw. What app do you use for screen caps? require jail breaking?

Your sister has a 4s and doesn't know how to take a screenshot? Screen caps have been supported since, um, iOS 2 - 2008?

Siri is backed by nuance for voice reco. It's reasonably good for speaker independent reco. Not amazingly good, but at least as good as google's (which is the same as used in GV voice transcription, where they get all that free exemplar voice data to train on)

There might be a way to get it to mis-reco coffee shop, but sex for coffee isn't gonna happen. Two syllable utterance to single syllable word, plus the filter on sex shop, means this didn't happen.

Cool story though.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Bigzizzzle
Google now on 4.1 is great. Makes siri look like a complete joke.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Bigzizzzle
Premium
Franklin, TN
reply to Bigzizzzle
It sure as hell happened, not sure why though. We fucking nearly wrecked when siri replied with that.

My sister is not a power user by all means an hasn't had an iphone long. We upgraded her from a blackberry a few months back.

We even turned of the radio, an turned down the AC to ensure nothing would interfere with voice recognition.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by Bigzizzzle:

It sure as hell happened, not sure why though. We fucking nearly wrecked when siri replied with that.

My sister is not a power user by all means an hasn't had an iphone long. We upgraded her from a blackberry a few months back.

We even turned of the radio, an turned down the AC to ensure nothing would interfere with voice recognition.

so she can get sex from coffee - "siri, coffee" is recoed as siri, sex?

Neat. Really doubtful, based on the science.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Bigzizzzle
Premium
Franklin, TN
reply to Bigzizzzle
Siri isn't scientific. It works an it doesn't work. Happens all the time to multiple people commenting on here.