SNT
Premium Member
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL

SNT to scross

Premium Member

to scross

Re: [Rant] Home Depot

Yeah I didn't really expect him to point out exactly where one was, but it probably wouldn't have hurt to offer some type of assistance.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by SNT:

Yeah I didn't really expect him to point out exactly where one was, but it probably wouldn't have hurt to offer some type of assistance.

I remember reading about how employees at Walmart were taught to deal with this type of situation (and apparently it came from a Walt Disney policy and helping guests at their parks). They were NOT to tell you where to find them, they were to WALK with you to find one. Same with a customer asking "where can I find widget X?" and not be told, "try aisle Z", but instead to respond, "let me take you there". I do still run into this 'helpful' manner and usually insist that if they tell me, I'll find it. Some insist that they help, others seem to cautiously let you go (as if they're being tested ?), and of course, you'll have those who let you go with no care.

I also remember asking at Menards once and being told that the employee would take me there. I told him it's not necessary and was told something to the affect of "I have to take you" !

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to SNT

Premium Member

to SNT
If the associate wasn't in the middle of helping someone else he should have started helping you find one of those carts. They all carry radios, he could have called up front to see if any carts had materialized since you were last up there. This could have also been a good time for the manager to prompt the lot crew to go bring in all the carts from outside.

Still, not something to stop shopping there over in my opinion. If there are repeated issues then yes, otherwise you give the store the benefit of the doubt as you're likely just dealing with an associate who is lazy and/or having a bad day.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by thegeek:

Still, not something to stop shopping there over in my opinion...

That's each person's prerogative, of course, but what happens when the same thing happens at Lowes, then 84 Lumber, Menards, etc, etc and one has no lumber-yard/home-improvement stores to shop at !

SNT
Premium Member
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL

SNT to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
That was just the final straw. There are other reasons why I prefer Lowes, but that was the clincher.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

1 edit

scross to thegeek

to thegeek
My wife and I both still complain to each other about an event which happened years ago at Wal-Mart. They were doing some kind of huge inventory count there, and when we got there were no carts to be had. Most of them had been commandeered by the inventory folks and were sitting in the aisles chock full of merchandise - so they were both unavailable AND blocking the aisles. A relative few were being used by other customers. But the only available ones were sitting out in the parking lot - in the pouring rain! So if you wanted one you had to go back out in the rain to get it, and then you still had to deal with a soaking wet cart. So I went and got one and dried it off as best as I could.

Every time we got close to one of those inventory carts I was sorely tempted to just dump everything in it into the wet cart and take the dry one, but I never actually did; we just grumbled about it instead. But now whenever my wife or I end up with a cart that is noisy or has a bad wheel or something, the other often says "Stop complaining! At least you got a cart - AND IT'S DRY!"

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

1 edit

bitemeboy

said by scross:

My wife and I both still complain to each other about an event which happened years ago at Wal-Mart. They were doing some kind of huge inventory count there, and when we got there were no carts to be had. Most of them had been commandeered by the inventory folks and were sitting in the aisles chock full of merchandise - so they were both unavailable AND blocking the aisles. A relative few were being used by other customers. But the only available ones were pouring rain! So if you wanted one you had to go back out in the rain to get it, and then you still had to deal with a soaking wet cart. So I went and got one and dried it off as best as I could.

Every time we got close to one of those inventory carts I was sorely tempted to just dump everything in it into the wet cart and take the dry one, but I never actually did; we just grumbled about it instead. But now whenever my wife or I end up with a cart that is noisy or has a bad wheel or something, the other often says "Stop complaining! At least you got a cart - AND IT'S DRY!"

I didn't see the word "MANAGER" anywhere in your post. So let me get this straight. You did their job for them on a number of levels and it was so enjoyable, you still sit around and reminisce about it.

I would have voted you "Employee Of The Year".

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

I don't have time to talk to a manager or customer service. I am not an unpaid quality assurance officer. If a store is not up to my standards, I leave and don't come back.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:

But now whenever my wife or I end up with a cart that is noisy or has a bad wheel or something, the other often says "Stop complaining! At least you got a cart - AND IT'S DRY!"

This is funny because last night my wife and I went to Walmart. The cart she grabbed had a bad wheel and pulled to the side. she dealt with it for a couple minutes then saw an empty cart just sitting in the middle of the store. I told her not to bother changing carts because the reason that cart was probably sitting there was because it was bad. She didn't listen and changed carts. The new cart had the same bad wheel plus it squeaked. We were only getting a couple items so we just carried our shit instead from that point on.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by thegeek:

said by scross:

But now whenever my wife or I end up with a cart that is noisy or has a bad wheel or something, the other often says "Stop complaining! At least you got a cart - AND IT'S DRY!"

This is funny because last night my wife and I went to Walmart. The cart she grabbed had a bad wheel and pulled to the side. she dealt with it for a couple minutes then saw an empty cart just sitting in the middle of the store. I told her not to bother changing carts because the reason that cart was probably sitting there was because it was bad. She didn't listen and changed carts. The new cart had the same bad wheel plus it squeaked. We were only getting a couple items so we just carried our shit instead from that point on.

Here, what happens is no mini wagons available as they are extremely popular and the stores don't have a lot of them because they want to force you to use the giant wagons in hope you will buy more (stupid reasoning I think). So, I am always looking for a mini wagon and I found one in Safeway produce section a few days ago (tons of gigantic wagons outside by the entrance but no mini ones). I put all this heavy produce that I had in my hands in the mini wagon I found and then it wouldn't move. Wheel was locked. That happens frequently at both Safeway and Target here that share a new shopping center. I guess a lot of people still try to wheel them (especially the popular mini ones) off the lot and when they try that the wheels lock so they can't. I ended up just trying to carry my items in my hands. These stores that don't have enough miniwagons lose business as I will buy only how ever much I can carry in my hands as I refuse to ever use those horrible gigantic wagons.