WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Voice question

If this is in the wrong Comcast forum, please relocate

My cousin in South Jersey currently has Comcast TV but wants to add voice since their ATT Landline bill is $100+ per month.

The question is, Is a modem required for voice?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

Yes, he will need an eMTA, which is a combination internet modem and voice which is supplied by Comcast to suscribing customers.

The eMTA can be set up to either have a phone/phone system directly plugged in (I do this with my 3 phone wireless system), or it can be set up to run through existing telephone wiring so that existing phone outlets may be used.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Assuming that your cousin can get Comcast Digital Voice in their area, the answer to your question is Yes. A specific modem called a eMTA would be required.

AN eMTA modem (example Arris TM402P) will handle both voice and internet. I know you can rent them from Comcast for the standard $7 rental fee.

--Brian

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Yes. A modem is required. »www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· AN10.pdf

That is a common model these days. You can have just TV and phone, you don't have to have internet too. (Though you could if you wanted to.) They'll come out and install the service and run it through the phone wiring that's already there so any jacks, you can just plug into and go. Or you hook the phone up to the back of the modem and just go like that. (I do that as my house is not phone wired) I have no problems whatever. Make sure Comcast knows about any alarm system your cousin has so they can make sure it all works.

The modem has a battery inside that makes the service work during the power being out. Cordless phones, unless they have a battery back up, won't work though. So make plans to have one of those cheap o plug in phones for emergencies.

It also won't work if the lines are damaged (But then would anything? POTS service wouldn't work if the lines are flapping in the wind.)

Other then that, I find Comcast phone service to be cheaper then what AT&T was trying to pile on. My cable bill is 117 a month with phone and net. It's worth it.

If he wants to keep his number as well, make sure to tell Comcast before doing anything. Last I checked, it is they who take care of number being ported and all.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along.
WK2

WK2

Premium Member

Ok, I called up for them and was able to get their TV bill lowered to the promotional rate and added unlimited phone service for $14.95/month + $60 (one time fees)
WK2

WK2

Premium Member

Update: I just convinced them to sign up for the triple play. So far all services is good,

TV: No pixelation, clear HD. Swapped out 2 small adapters to HD boxes

Phone: Much better than ATT

Internet: 25/5 consistent on the Wireless Arris modem

$150 for everything

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Good deal, glad it worked out well!
voipnpots
join:2011-10-13
USA

voipnpots to WK2

to WK2
said by WK2:

Update: I just convinced them to sign up for the triple play.

One more on board.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

It wasn't easy by any stretch
WK2

WK2

Premium Member

They are just waiting for their area to get TV Caller ID
Stu Pidaso
join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN

Stu Pidaso

said by WK2:

They are just waiting for their area to get TV Caller ID

Waiting for the area? If they have voice and TV then CID to TV should work, unless you do not have a box that supports it.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

They have all Cisco boxes but their area doesnt have iTV