Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

[Serious] Play "devil's advocate" for my CDN Google Voice plan

Hello:

Here's my plan to reduce the cost of my smart phone usage in Canada by utilizing Google Voice:
1) Get a Voip.ms or Anveo DID for some US City & forward it to my cell.
2) Get a Voip.ms or Anveo DID for my city, Montreal, and forward it to my GV Number once established.
3) Get a Google Voice account and set it up with my US DID as my 'CallBack Number'.
4) Get the cheapest cell phone plan in Montreal that includes "Unlimited Incoming Calls" and a little data.
5) Install Voice+ on my android smart phone.

This way I can use GV to:
1) place all outgoing calls and they will be converted into Incoming calls on my cell phone plan.
2) be my Voice Mail by call forwarding unanswered calls to my Montreal DID which will in turn forward them to GV.

The cost of the VOIP DID's will run between $4.00 to $5.00 per month.

Can anyone see any holes in this plan, or, see a better way?

Thanks,

Rob.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Re: [Serious] Play "devil's advocate" for my CDN Googl

Why not try going data-only on your android phone and using android's built-in SIP support or sipdroid? I'm not sure if voip.ms supports SIP over TCP (required for decent battery life), but there are free services that will handle that for you, like pbxes.org.

Even if you don't want to try the data-only route, voip.ms can do the callbacks itself. You can set a DID up for callbacks, any call to that number will return a busy signal, and then it will call you back, and you can set it up to give you a dial tone.

I believe this can be accomplished by getting a tablet data plan for your smartphone, if the carrier will allow it. They tend to start at $10 or $15 per month.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
The voip.ms callback will require me to manually enter the phone number that I wish to reach, right?

Thanks for your time on this.

Rob.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
Yes, although if you use SIP directly they should be able to access your contact list.
--

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to Guspaz
Hi Guspaz:

Well, I downloaded and installed sipdroid with pbxes.org and used my VOIP.ms SIP info - I don't understand what I am doing, but I can make calls!

Where can I find out what I am doing? How do I get free 'incoming calls' using sipdriod?

Thanks, again, for you time on this.

Rob.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to RobThompson
I should clarify here: I've zero experience with sip or android.

You need to have sipdroid subscribe to your voip.ms DID like you would do with an ata or softphone. That's not free, though, since voip.ms charges a cent a minute for incoming calls to the DID. Unless you have the unlimited DID, which only makes sense over 400 minutes or something.
--