uniqs
share rss forum feed

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC

1 edit

Bandwidth calculation and optimizing

Our website is pulling 7GB a month these past couple of months. We average 150 users per day. Our main path and landing pages pull 500kb per visit as in 500 KB - Main Page ->, Warn->, Winches. For every 1GB over 5GB (or 6gb cant remember what i was told) its like an extra $125. I have already hosted most large images off-site and really optimized the on-site images to the point of image quality degradation. Some images are like 5kb with others being 10-20kb.

Is there anyway to calculate up bandwidth usage with Google Analytic or a 3rd party app? My employer states that we have a decrease in sales yet an increase in traffic and BW usage. Our BW spiked from 4gb to 7GB and I`m just not seeing the traffic in Analytics. Personally i think his hosting company is screwing him.

www.clemson4wheel.com

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3

Totally getting screwed by your hosting company. Even high end hosting or a VPS would be much much cheaper.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to mythology

said by mythology:

1GB over 5GB its $125.

You need to move hosts. That is insane.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

mythology
Premium
Seneca, SC

2 edits

said by swintec:

said by mythology:

1GB over 5GB its $125.

You need to move hosts. That is insane.

Thing is its a brick and mortar store with a Counterpoint POS system. The online solution is CPOnline which integrates with Counterpoint. They are suppose to move to a Magento platform later this year. Not sure of any price changes due to that change.

I`m also not sure if its my place to say any thing. Its pretty much an internship pay wise. They are good people tho and I hate to see anyone get ripped off.

I know Magento has an open source and enterprise offering. Couple that with say Hostgator and I think they could save a lot of money.

This easiest thing would be to turn the traffic into sales to justify the extra bandwidth cost. I increased their traffic and content since I started working for them but that hasn't materialized into sales. Possibly due to the economy or due to their uncompetitiveness with competitors? How would you handle the approach with the employer?

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ
reply to mythology

Noticed that you really promote the Warn products, yet many of their products have NO shipping options (only choice is a local pickup), even though they weigh less than the UPS 150 lb. limit. Even worse, the Warn product descriptions are images full of text, rather than straight text. Hurts SEO.

Try setting up Google Analytics to trace how potential customers enter the site, what pages in what order they visit, and where it is that they bail out.

And get rid of that Microsoft Internet Explorer favicon.
--
V-Rtifacts - When Virtual Reality Was More Than Virtual

mythology
Premium
Seneca, SC

1 edit

said by stray:

Noticed that you really promote the Warn products, yet many of their products have NO shipping options (only choice is a local pickup), even though they weigh less than the UPS 150 lb. limit. Even worse, the Warn product descriptions are images full of text, rather than straight text. Hurts SEO.

Try setting up Google Analytics to trace how potential customers enter the site, what pages in what order they visit, and where it is that they bail out.

And get rid of that Microsoft Internet Explorer favicon.

Only products that shouldn't have shipping are freight items or free shipping items. UPS ships by dimensional weight. They only ship UPS or freight. The Warn "Specs" are images because we reached our (get this) character limit on the back-end program where you enter item descriptions. We couldnt have the "specs" and item details due to the limit so I came up with the idea of the "specs" pictures. Counterpoint charges $100 to update the favicon or add a doctype. LOL. I know. Its horrible.

I`ve gotten most of the Warn winches and bumpers in the top 20 on Google even with all of the limitations. Most of his traffic and sales are referral from Warn.com so that is why the focus on Warn products, I`d assume.

Do you have any experience integrating Magento or OScommerce with Counterpoint POS? I`d love to offer them an alternative but I dont think I can do that without some sort of reasonable Counterpoint POS integration option.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to mythology

Maybe you've accounted for this but how much of the traffic is being caused by search bots? On my blog, looking at AWSTATS, half of the hits and a little over half of the bandwidth is caused by bots, and not people. And well, bots generally do not buy anything.

I don't worry about it since I have 200GB/month bandwidth for my $5/mo webhosting at Surpass.

I did notice that your site sends the images out for every tab on the page on the first visit. It might be better from a bandwidth PoV to only send out the images when that specific tab is clicked on.

mythology
Premium
Seneca, SC

Ya. I might just do away with the tab if its going to save $125 +. If they want a modern site they need to move away from cponline. They have obviously outgrown the capabilities of it.

stray

Warren, NJ
reply to mythology

Think about the shopping experience from the customer point of view. They've arrived at your site thinking they'll get a great price and great service on Warn winches. Good start!! Maybe they've also done a bit of research on competing sites.

So they navigate down to the winch they want, but whoa!! Red flag number one, the price isn't listed; you've got to add the winch to your cart to see the price. Some of the potential customers bail out and order from somebody else. The rest of the customers add to cart and find out your price is pretty good (not great, but competitive.) Smart shopper thinks: "I'd better check on the shipping cost, this could be a deal breaker." Damn! No shipping options or costs. The product page advertises free shipping, but once it's in my cart, all shipping options are marked "N/A" (does that mean "not applicable" or "not available" or "nevermind a**h*le"?) At first glance the site suggests local pickup as the only option. At this point 75% abandon their carts... just too much trouble to call or email to ask WTF is up. They'd rather go with a vendor who has their act together on shipping.

In short, you need to follow the funnel and find out why more people are coming to your site and why they leave without making a purchase.

You can cite company policy and the rules of your e-commerce provider till you're blue in the face, but if my business was loosing 75% of shoppers who've already put items in their shopping cart, I'd burn the rule book ASAP. The profit on a single high-end winch would pay for all the extra bandwidth you've mentioned.

Rule number one of online commerce. Make the path from site entry to actual purchase incredibly easy. Any barrier, no matter how small will cost you sales. Your complaint is about high bandwidth and low sales. Your job is to find out why your site visitors aren't converting. I've suggested a few obvious barriers. Good analytics will reveal the true barriers in a quantitative way that you can take to the boss. You should be able to say: "we're losing XXX dollars in profit because shoppers abandon their carts on page YYYY. Here's how we fix it."
--
V-Rtifacts - When Virtual Reality Was More Than Virtual

mythology
Premium
Seneca, SC

2 edits

Great post. I get exactly what you are saying.

stray

Warren, NJ
reply to mythology

Click for full size

mythology
Premium
Seneca, SC

1 edit

Not applicable. N/A. Free shipping. Maybe I need to see if we can completely remove the shipping options from free shipping items?

**I reduced our image library from 1.1GB to 800MB. Hopefully that will reduce some of the BW usage. Employer states if the upcoming cponline integration with Magento isn't better we will be jumping ship and I should start looking for a way to integrate Counterpoint SQL with a new online store front.

Expand your moderator at work

forzaf1

join:2012-12-19
Woodbridge, ON
reply to mythology

Re: Bandwidth calculation and optimizing

Some times the search engines indexing your site can cause your bandwidth to spike - ie. GoogleBot MSNBot.

I would take a look at the log files and see exactly who is hitting your site. Another cool way of doing this is install a program like LiveZilla on your site (chat system) and put the operator client on your desktop. You will be able to see who is hitting your site in real time and identify where the traffic is coming from.