how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lugnut

@look.ca

[Weather] What are the odds???

Click for full size
Weather Network is predicting 37 C tomorrow... What do you figure are the odds of a major blackout? I give it 50/50. Are you guys prepared? We have a small 1500 Watt Generator to keep the fridge alive. Here's hoping it'll start...

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44
said by lugnut :

What do you figure are the odds of a major blackout?

Slim to none.

»www.iemo.com/imoweb/siteShared/p···p?sid=ic
--
bb2

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want. ~Bill Watterson

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to lugnut
It hit 37 C but what saved us was that it was windy and at times cloudy.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by Xstar_Lumini:

It hit 37 C but what saved us was that it was windy and at times cloudy.

We just had the storm go through...quick and nasty..tried to record it with the iPhone 4 but it decided to give up the ghost...so a couple hard resets and throwing it hard onto the ground, got it running normally, the storm had past. (ground was carpet, fyi) C'mon RIM! Get your damn BB10 out. Anyway, went from 34C (94F) to 25C (78F) in about 15 minutes. 25C you still need AC when the house is 30.5C....
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Roofer

join:2010-11-24
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

We have a small 1500 Watt Generator to keep the fridge alive. Here's hoping it'll start...

Do you keep your generator outside & just run an extension cord into the house? How noisy are those generators when they run?

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to lugnut
Just in case I have candles and books.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

1 edit
reply to bluebaron2
said by bluebaron2:

said by lugnut :

What do you figure are the odds of a major blackout?

Slim to none.

»www.iemo.com/imoweb/siteShared/p···p?sid=ic

Bet BB3 a Tim Horton's coffee and he will work overtime for free to keep the turbines pumping out juice.
--
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Roofer
said by Roofer:

said by lugnut :

We have a small 1500 Watt Generator to keep the fridge alive. Here's hoping it'll start...

Do you keep your generator outside & just run an extension cord into the house? How noisy are those generators when they run?

Mine is in a vented shed with a conduit back into my house. 1200W and it will run my fridge, furnace, lights and tv.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to Roofer
said by Roofer:

said by lugnut :

We do exactly that. We park it on the lawn beside the kitchen window and run an extension cord into the kitchen to the fridge and alternate to the basement for the deep freeze. The deep freeze stays frozen a good twelve hours though, as long as you don't open it up. At least that's how we did it during the big blackout a few years back.

If I were shopping for a generator now though, I'd pick up a 3000 watter which is big enough to run both appliances simultaneously.

As for noise level, it's no worse than a snowblower or lawnmower, but the noise is all outside and doesn't really penetrate the walls of the house.

Anyway, we were lucky enough not to need it today...