uniqs
share rss forum feed

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3

What, no Natitude?

Just mentioning that our Washington Nationals are still in first place in the NL East, just as they have been all year, and showing no sign of giving it up.

In case no one's noticed.

That is all.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
I'd show you my Natitude but this is a family-friendly forum.

Yeah, it's good to not be the laughing stock of the NL...or MLB for that matter. I knew they could do it. It would be absolutely awesome if they keep it going and take it all the way.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to AB
I was kidding one of my buddies about his Yankee jacket and he pointed out that our season was always over before it got cold enough to need one.

Maybe not this year. I'm digging the youngsters playing their butts off and having a great time doing it.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by grobinette:

I was kidding one of my buddies about his Yankee jacket and he pointed out that our season was always over before it got cold enough to need one.

Gotta admit, that's pretty damned funny. I like it.

There's a similar joke (I don't remember it) from some years back about the Caps and the month of May, too.

rlindsay

join:2001-01-24
Silver Spring, MD

1 recommendation

It was "What's red white and blue and plays golf in May?"
(reffering to the Cap's constantly losing in the first round)

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by rlindsay:

It was "What's red white and blue and plays golf in May?"
(reffering to the Cap's constantly losing in the first round)

Yep, that's the one. Thanks.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to AB
And then, last night happens: Nationals blow largest lead in franchise history. Like Thursday wasn't bad enough. What a sucky birthday present for Strasburg
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by DC DSL:

And then, last night happens: Nationals blow largest lead in franchise history. Like Thursday wasn't bad enough. What a sucky birthday present for Strasburg

Thursday's loss to the Mets was just a ballgame. The Nats still won two out of three, so they won that series. It's a long season, and winning series is what keeps you in first place.

Last night's game is also in a sense 'just one loss', thought it's the type of loss that can have psychological implications for the whole ballclub. Being up nine runs in the middle innings with your ace on the mound is never a game that should be lost.

So today, zero runs through the seventh. Great pitching by Sheets, or a psychological carry-over from last night?
One thing's for sure-- I don't think a team has ever won a game in which they were shut out. Also, losing the first two games of a four-game series (should that happen) means there will be no series win, and then the onus falls on them to at least make damn sure there's no sweep, as a sweep would only add to any downward psychological implications for the team.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to DC DSL
So, there it is. Everybody leaves the weekend the same way they came in, standings-wise. Could've been worse.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to AB
F*ck the Nats!

-signed,
A disgruntled Mets fan.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by RockCake:

F*ck the Nats!

-signed,
A disgruntled Mets fan.

Natitude = Winning five of six since the big comeback loss, including the three-game sweep of your Metropolitans at Shea. (Six in a row, should they win tonight.)

Don't blame the Nats though, as the Braves would smoosh the Mets if the Nats didn't. The Amazings just don't seem to have a particularly good team this year. You can't expect Wright and Dickey to carry them all by themselves.

(Neener-neener.)

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to AB
Update: Currently the best record in baseball.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to AB
I didn't expect to see this on their web page for a long time.

"Renew your season ticket plan and purchase your 2012 postseason tickets now!"

They have a lot of games to go....

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by grobinette:

I didn't expect to see this on their web page for a long time.

"Renew your season ticket plan and purchase your 2012 postseason tickets now!"

They have a lot of games to go....

They can finish the season playing .500 and still win 95 or 96 games.
I saw something the other day that said no recent team with their number of wins at this point in the season has failed to the make the playoffs.
So I guess everybody's feeling pretty good about themselves and their postseason chances.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
I'd like to see them keep on rollin' and win over 100 games.

If you are going into the playoffs you want to take that momentum with you.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AB
said by AB:

Just mentioning that our Washington Nationals are still in first place in the NL East, just as they have been all year, and showing no sign of giving it up.

In case no one's noticed.

That is all.

Still noticing. Eight straight wins, still the best record in baseball, a great manager to guide them, and lots of motivation with the fifth-best record in baseball lurking 4 1/2 games behind.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by SixOfNine:

Eight straight wins, still the best record in baseball, a great manager to guide them, and lots of motivation with the fifth-best record in baseball lurking 4 1/2 games behind.

Yeah, the Braves just had something like a 14-3 stretch and didn't end up gaining any ground at all. That's gotta be at least a little bit demoralizing for them.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

1 edit
reply to AB
The Nats again have the best record in baseball and had themselves a nice little fracas to boot.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
The day has come: »www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nat···-season/

quote:
Left-hander John Lannan, a two-time opening starter for the Nationals who spent all year in Class AAA, will take Strasburg’s spot in the rotation. Even without Strasburg, the Nationals have four starters who rank in the top 18 in the National League in ERA and three in the top 10. If you remove Strasburg, the Nationals’ rotation has a 3.31 ERA – still the best in the major leagues.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to AB
It will be okay. If push comes to shove they can put him back out in the post season.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to AB
Not even a peep about the Nats making the playoffs? That is almost as incredible as the cost of post season tickets.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
*PEEP*

I can see us taking the division. I have doubts about making it to the Series, though.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
Me too, but it is baseball and stranger things have happened.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to grobinette
said by grobinette:

Not even a peep about the Nats making the playoffs? That is almost as incredible as the cost of post season tickets.

I haven't posted anything because nobody seems to care.
The Nats are one helluva team this year, including #1 in the MLB power rankings. Who cares? All they do is win, yet this continues to typify the attitude of so many "fans":

said by DC DSL:

I can see us taking the division. I have doubts about making it to the Series, though.

Best record in baseball, best ERA in baseball-- nobody thinks the team is truly any good.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
I never said I don't think they're any good. I waited 52 years for "my" Giants to finally win the Series...so I know how a team can go from awesome to wtf in just a few games.
--

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by DC DSL:

I never said I don't think they're any good.

No, but you "have doubts" they're good enough to go to the World Series. Well, they ARE good enough-- end of story.
Which of course doesn't mean they will go. In a short series where the loser is eliminated, it's not always the 'best team' that advances.

But these Nats are for real, and history shows that the 'best teams' advance more often than they don't.

I find it quite odd that there's not a major groundswell of support for and belief in the Nationals as now a fine, first-rank team, quite capable of not only going to but winning the World Series, yet every time the Redskins win a single game early in the season-- the same Redskins who seem to do nothing anymore except go 5-11 every season-- people start pulling out "Bandwagon" references.
Puh-leeze. What a freaking joke THAT is!

You go, Nats. You go, babies!

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
Again, you are putting words in my mouth. All it takes is one key injury or screwup and that fat broad singing. Even the greatest players have bad days. That IN NO WAY means they or their team isn't good enough. I'm simply being realistic: We've seen them blow comfortable leads that was "collapse out of nowhere."

The *ONLY* thing we can count on the next few weeks is being on the edge of our seats a lot. Make sure your cushions are up to it.
--

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AB
My cushion is up to it. I've even lifted my self imposed ban on watching them on MASN. I think that the only thing going against them is their inexperience in the playoffs when the pressure is on.
But for all we know, they will just say screw it, play like they have for most of the season and have a great time doing it.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by grobinette:

But for all we know, they will just say screw it, play like they have for most of the season and have a great time doing it.

Yep, that's the way it ought to go.

madrhino

join:2004-07-03
reply to AB
They get to clinch at home.