grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to AB

Re: What, no Natitude?

Not even a peep about the Nats making the playoffs? That is almost as incredible as the cost of post season tickets.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

*PEEP*

I can see us taking the division. I have doubts about making it to the Series, though.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

Me too, but it is baseball and stranger things have happened.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to grobinette

said by grobinette:

Not even a peep about the Nats making the playoffs? That is almost as incredible as the cost of post season tickets.

I haven't posted anything because nobody seems to care.
The Nats are one helluva team this year, including #1 in the MLB power rankings. Who cares? All they do is win, yet this continues to typify the attitude of so many "fans":

said by DC DSL:

I can see us taking the division. I have doubts about making it to the Series, though.

Best record in baseball, best ERA in baseball-- nobody thinks the team is truly any good.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

I never said I don't think they're any good. I waited 52 years for "my" Giants to finally win the Series...so I know how a team can go from awesome to wtf in just a few games.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by DC DSL:

I never said I don't think they're any good.

No, but you "have doubts" they're good enough to go to the World Series. Well, they ARE good enough-- end of story.
Which of course doesn't mean they will go. In a short series where the loser is eliminated, it's not always the 'best team' that advances.

But these Nats are for real, and history shows that the 'best teams' advance more often than they don't.

I find it quite odd that there's not a major groundswell of support for and belief in the Nationals as now a fine, first-rank team, quite capable of not only going to but winning the World Series, yet every time the Redskins win a single game early in the season-- the same Redskins who seem to do nothing anymore except go 5-11 every season-- people start pulling out "Bandwagon" references.
Puh-leeze. What a freaking joke THAT is!

You go, Nats. You go, babies!

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

Again, you are putting words in my mouth. All it takes is one key injury or screwup and that fat broad singing. Even the greatest players have bad days. That IN NO WAY means they or their team isn't good enough. I'm simply being realistic: We've seen them blow comfortable leads that was "collapse out of nowhere."

The *ONLY* thing we can count on the next few weeks is being on the edge of our seats a lot. Make sure your cushions are up to it.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to AB

My cushion is up to it. I've even lifted my self imposed ban on watching them on MASN. I think that the only thing going against them is their inexperience in the playoffs when the pressure is on.
But for all we know, they will just say screw it, play like they have for most of the season and have a great time doing it.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by grobinette:

But for all we know, they will just say screw it, play like they have for most of the season and have a great time doing it.

Yep, that's the way it ought to go.

madrhino

join:2004-07-03
reply to AB

They get to clinch at home.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

And we appreciate that, but I would rather they had it clinched by now.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

I'm glad we clinched but how we did it worries me going forward in the playoffs.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

They knew they wanted to win, they played teams that had to win. Now they have to win but with a difference because they are going to be the chaser, not the chased.

Maybe some of the pressure will be off (or at least changed) and they can just go out and play again.

They sure have made it interesting up to now.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to DC DSL

The fact they seem to be playing some of their worst baseball of the season over the past couple of weeks should definitely be cause for concern.

On the other hand, a good team that's been running cold is very liable to start heating up again more sooner than later-- so there's a chance the Nats could hit their stride again just as the playoffs begin. I hope that's the case.

Regardless, it's been a great season for them, a hopefully 'breakout' season which propels them to the status of World Series contenders for many years to come.

Playoff baseball in Washington! Bring it on, and let the chips fall as they may.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

Even Teddy gets a win!

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by grobinette:

Even Teddy gets a win!

How about that?

That was great stuff!

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium
join:2008-01-11
Out There
reply to AB

Wonder if the O's could may it a Baltimore/DC world series? What did I jinx it?

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to AB

Oh yeah! 1 down.

madrhino

join:2004-07-03
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AB

What's the big secret with Wednesdays game time? They're acting like it's the launch codes or something.They know who is playing and where they are playing,what's the big deal?Maybe they don't want people to watch so they're keeping it secret.
I think it has something to do with MLBN having the rights to ONE game,so I guess they will wait until the last moment to grab the game with the highest projected ratings.
--
Get Verizon FIOS,The Anti-DIOS

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

They are calling it a 1PM game on MLB

Gm 3 STL @ WSH Wed Oct. 10 1:00 PM MLBN

Are they changing it?

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to AB

What happened in Game 2 perfectly explains my concerns about them making it through the playoffs and the Series. Mercury must have been retrograde...or one of the alternate universes swapped-out their team for ours. Some days, it just doesn't matter if you ate your Wheaties.
--

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by DC DSL:

Some days, it just doesn't matter if you ate your Wheaties.

No, some days it doesn't. Well, there goes the undefeated postseason, eh?

The job now is to win two games at home. Do it and advance. Don't and make tee times instead. Pretty simple.

12-4, 1-0, 20-0, 4-3. The score itself is unimportant. Each win counts as 'one', each loss counts as 'one'.

rlindsay

join:2001-01-24
Silver Spring, MD

Well they managed to avoid defeat last night, it's all down to Game 5. Whatever happens they've done a helluva job in reviving baseball in DC.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to AB

*SIGH*.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

1 recommendation

reply to rlindsay

said by rlindsay:

Whatever happens they've done a helluva job in reviving baseball in DC.

A wonderful season for them, regardless of last night. But that one hurts bad, real bad. Couldn't get an out to seal the victory, couldn't get an out to keep it tied and move to extra innings.

Time for fans and players alike to lick the wounds for a while, then move on.
Spring training will start next year with the Nats knowing what sort of team they have, not wondering and finding out as the season progresses. No pitcher will have an innings limitation. The star rookie will play a full year with some seasoning now behind him. The majority of the team will return intact, and they're not getting old.

A painful loss last night to be sure, but it's a very bright future outlook for the Washington Nationals baseball team.