Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to l0st

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Any torrent downloads @ any speed always s

... why are you randomizing the port? Do you have UPnP checkmarked as well?

If you have it set to randomize the port and do not have UPnP checked, you'll definitely have torrenting issues since your packets can't get to where they need to go.

However I'd personally rather not use UPnP and specify a port of my choosing, then forward that.

In the DIR-655 there's a section for port forwarding rules, call it 'utorrent' and use the same port for both UDP and TCP and the IP address of your torrenting system. Make sure you reserve the IP of your system under the network setup so your internal LAN IP is constant. Use a port like 3385, I can't think of anything you might use that uses it.

l0st

join:2003-04-22
canada
To combat ISP throttling and privacy?

I had uPnP checked, why do you prefer to forward a port and not use it?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by l0st:

To combat ISP throttling and privacy?

You won't combat ISP throttling by shifting your port and privacy would be obtained by other means, changing your port is irrelevant there as well.

said by l0st:

I had uPnP checked, why do you prefer to forward a port and not use it?

UPnP has been questionable for years, terrible when it debut. It might be in better shape today but forwarding a port is definite - this is the port in my software, this is the port my router will forward, done. There's no question as to whether your issue is a communications issue when you go that route.