Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

[News] Office 2013 - First Look

Microsoft released their first look at Office 2013 today. I'll probably upgrade just to be able to edit PDF files in Word.

»www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-wi···3-197802

NICK ADSL UK
Premium,MVM
join:2004-02-22
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Zen Internet

1 recommendation

Thank you

Microsoft Office 2013 Home Premium Preview |
download

»www.microsoft.com/office/preview···-preview
--
Wilders Security Forum Admin
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

You're welcome.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to Oregonian

I'm happy with 2010 Pro Plus.
Thanks though! News coverage is also all over CNET.com

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to NICK ADSL UK

Thanks! Installed quickly without any hassle. Not impressed with the "theme".

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Oregonian

I tried it too. Its OK, nothing Earth shattering, kind of like the interface. I wonder when the preview is going to end.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

said by kvn864:

I tried it too. Its OK, nothing Earth shattering, kind of like the interface. I wonder when the preview is going to end.

I read it ends 60 days after 2013 goes on sale.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Oregonian

If Microsoft plans on releasing Office 365 as web deployed, they are going to run into a problem with folks with LOW LOW caps. SaS is not going to work in the average home environment.

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
reply to Rob

ah, thanks, I think that means that we will have plenty of time to fool around with it, since it is just first preview release.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Oregonian

In installed and it set itself up to be the default application for office documents. Easily fixed, but what turned me off was having to login into my account(my throwaway hotmail one) before I could use it (to ensure the beta is licensed )AND that it installed the skydrive stub without telling me.

If this is the future, ill stick with office 2003!
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Oregonian

If you want the "pure" Office without all the cloud stuff, visit the bottom of this page:

»technet.microsoft.com/en-US/eval···114_1_33

for this .msi link:

»profile.microsoft.com/RegSysProf···3&ci=393

A Windows ID is required to login for the download.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Great, thanks DF.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

1 recommendation

i still miss the old office. it was simple and not cluttered back then

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Oregonian

No Office 2013 for XP, Vista

quote:
System requirements for Office 2013 Preview
Published: July 16, 2012

Operating System
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012

Browser
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, or 10; Mozilla Firefox 10.x or a later version; Apple Safari 5; or Google Chrome 17.x.
»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr···ce.15%29
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
reply to Oregonian

said by Oregonian:

Microsoft released their first look at Office 2013 today. I'll probably upgrade just to be able to edit PDF files in Word.

»www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-wi···3-197802

Has anybody tested the PDF editing feature? My guess is it will only work with PDF files created in Word. PDF has no concept of paragraphs, etc. Editing PDF files directly is not likely to work very well.

Get ready for a new non-standard PDF format created by Word to be edited in Word.
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR

I haven't tested it but I don't see why it couldn't work as well as Acrobat for editing PDF documents.

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06

1 edit
reply to jmorlan

said by jmorlan:

Get ready for a new non-standard PDF format created by Word to be edited in Word.

Yep.

edit: removed grouchy rant
--
Going WOT in second is a great way to erase a blind spot!

boontonflyer

join:2004-07-05
Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Oregonian

Just downloaded Office 2013 Preview.
Had just defragged disk before downloading Office 2013. Had 8 fragmented files/23 fragments.
After downloading Office had ~~ 3000 fragmented files/6000 fragments.
Does that seem normal/typical ???

Paul

PS: Stopped De-Fraggler and ran "ccleaner" to clean out ~~ 200 MB of temp. files. De-fraggler now says 300 fragmented files/3000 fragments and about ten minutes to complete De-Fraggler !!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

1 recommendation

3000 fragmented files/6000 fragments.

That's an average of 2 extents per file, which is "no fragmentation at all worth worrying about".

Or, in other words, an average of one extra seek per file if those files are actually accessed. Probably not even measurable except with specialized software. Guaranteed not noticeable.

De-fraggler now says 300 fragmented files/3000 fragments and about ten minutes to complete De-Fraggler !!

OK, now we have 10 extents per file, average. Still barely noticeable unless these happen to be files which are accessed 'all the time' while the system is in operation, which I bet they are not.

There's a lot of superstition around file system fragmentation. We're simply talking about extra disk head movement. It'll need to be in the pretty-big-numbers range to affect system performance to the point where you'll notice.

But that's easy to test. Reboot. Run your favourite benchmark. Defrag. Reboot. Run the same benchmark again. Any time differences? (The reboots ensure no discrepancies in measurement due to caching).

2kmaro
Think
Premium,ExMod 1 BC
join:2000-07-11
ColossalCave

1 edit
reply to Oregonian

I'd treat the "preview" much as I would a beta version - don't put your business or even personal critical files in the hands of a version that may change drastically before a true Release-To-Market version comes along.

Here are some comments that were provided to me with my invitation to get a copy:
First - this statement that I believe relieves me of my NDA regarding these comments:
"• Disclosure has now been lifted and you are now allowed to share product screenshots as well as engage in social media and/or blogs outside of the program."

Now for some recommendations from that same notice:
• Because this is a preview environment, it is expected to be unstable and will be kept up on best effort basis.
• There is no planned data persistence from this test window to production. Therefore, you should be using this Office 365 Preview in a test environment only unless you are instructed to deploy in a production environment.
• Do not put any sensitive information into the service.
• It is possible that you could experience outages or data loss during the Office 2013 Preview.

--
...then THINK! again.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Oregonian

Just downloaded my preview of Office 2013....looks good

When might we see a full release?

OldAuditor

join:2007-03-24
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Oregonian

Nice they are bringing out a new version. Just wish they'd fix the bugs in the old one first! Wonder if the bugs will port over too.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

Just downloaded my preview of Office 2013....looks good

When might we see a full release?