StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to tholly911

Premium Member

to tholly911

Re: Things Mom never told us about NSA

said by tholly911:

Scary to think how large the percentage of the general population can not express a word problem mathematically.

+1

The first thing I do when I see problems of this kind is write equations. Of course it gets a bit trickier when you have more than two unknowns. In those case I use matrices

PS: The irony is that I'm hopeless at mental arithmetic

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game

Premium Member

Comes from not eating your vegetables

»www.brainpickings.org/in ··· numbers/
Expand your moderator at work
Name Game

Name Game

Premium Member

HOPE 9 - WikiLeaks, Whistleblowers, and the War on the First Amendment
54 min video

A panel held at HOPE Number 9 in New York City, 13 July 2012.
»www.hopenumbernine.net/

"The Director of ACLU's Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project will provide an overview of the Espionage Act and the other statutes that the government has employed to prosecute leakers and threaten publishers. Ben will discuss the ACLU's litigation on behalf of WikiLeaks supporters whose Twitter records have been subpoenaed and whose laptops have been seized by government agents, and will place the Obama administration's unprecedented campaign against leakers in legal and historical context."

Panelists are ACLU lawyers Ben Wizner, Catherine Crump, and John Reinstein.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Kl6mpYd4

Note: William Binney is in the audience during this talk.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro to DrModem

Premium Member

to DrModem

Re:  

said by DrModem:

Throwing people out as the cure assumes you are throwing the right people in behind them.

Yea life's a bitch but I feel they all need 4 year terms just like the President, maybe that could light a fire under there asses so they won't get comfortable and not do a damn thing, but like you said it depends on the right candidate.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

2 recommendations

DrModem

Premium Member

Term limits don't solve anything. It just speeds up the rotation.

Term limits mean when you actually do get a good person, they immediately get thrown out like everyone else.

The government is not actually the problem. The government is just a symptom. The people are the root of the problem.

The only thing that will actually change the government is the people as a whole changing their minds about what government they will tolerate. Until then we will continue to get the same government as we have been getting for decades, because deep down on the large scale, it's the government we want.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to coldmoon

MVM

to coldmoon

said by coldmoon:

That's an old one - ball costs 5 cents and the bat is $1.05...

I knew as soon as I answered I was wrong, but couldn't express how I knew, and totally forgot how to frame the question algebraically. I kind of slid into the correction sideways: If the ball costs 10 cents, then the dollar for the bat is only 90 cents more ...

But I got the lake answer right!
quote:
In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

For some reason I did not fall into the shortcut trap (... to divide the final answer by half. That leads you to twenty-four days.)

I don't know why the answer to this one seemed so obvious, having failed the other. Maybe a vague recollection of geometric progression? Or was that exponential growth? Anyway, I figured it out by avoiding the mental trap.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· bedded#!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Shame on you! Such a 'noughty' post!!!
tholly911
join:2012-05-30
Pasadena, TX

tholly911 to Name Game

to Name Game
Numbers are indeed fun. Very enjoyable video!!

A book I have enjoyed and can highly recommend is "Fermat's Last Theorem."

It provides a glimpse into advanced topics without having to fully understand them.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

NSA whistleblower Bill Binney speaks...

NSA whistleblower Bill Binney delivered the keynote address at the HOPE 9 hackers conference in New York City in early July 2012. Watch the longtime NSA cryptographer discuss what he views as the agency's moral collapse, above.

»privacysos.org/node/759

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs8zd7_william-binney-hope-9-keynote-part1_tech#from=embediframe

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs8zl4_william-binney-hope-9-keynote-part2_tech#from=embediframe

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Ah, 9th grade algebra. Nun slapping me on the back of my head for sleeping. But I remembered the word problems.

X is the price in cents of the ball.
X+100 is the price in cents of the bat.

X+(X+100)=110
2X+100=110
2X=10
X=5
X+100=105

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Maybe she was whacking flies... and keeping a list .

»online.wsj.com/article/p ··· tch.html
Name Game

Name Game to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

Ah, 9th grade algebra. Nun slapping me on the back of my head for sleeping. But I remembered the word problems.

X is the price in cents of the ball.
X+100 is the price in cents of the bat.

X+(X+100)=110
2X+100=110
2X=10
X=5
X+100=105

So what if you had just two eggs ?

»www.datagenetics.com/blo ··· dex.html
Name Game

Name Game

Premium Member

NSA whistleblowers: Government spying on every single American

»rt.com/usa/news/nsa-whis ··· ake-978/

I like these articles..the longer people like Binney go on the speaker and interview circuit for $$$..the better their story gets.

Too bad it does not sell newspapers..but those days are done and we have to find something else to wrap the fish.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

...and we have to find something else to wrap the fish.

I always used newspapers for lining the kitty litter tray

Spy4
Premium Member
join:2001-09-22
NE

Spy4 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
if you keep this thread going, i'm going to speak out soon too.
i think i need a good spanking by my nun in grammar school again.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

US spy master courts top hackers at Def Con

By Glenn Chapman (AFP) – 3 hours ago
LAS VEGAS — US spy master Keith Alexander courted hackers at an infamous Def Con gathering rife with software tricksters wary of police and ferociously protective of privacy.
National Security Agency (NSA) director Alexander on Friday was the latest, and perhaps the most controversial, federal official to attend the annual hacker conference in Las Vegas to recruit warriors for battles being fought on the Internet.
"I am absolutely impressed with some of the stuff going on here," Alexander said during a keynote presentation to a packed auditorium.
"In this room is the talent our nation needs to secure cyber space."
His Def Con visit came after he was quoted by the New York Times as saying that between 2009 and 2011 there was a 17-fold increase in cyber attacks on critical US infrastructure such as power grids and mobile phone networks.
Along with being boss of the NSA, Alexander is an Army general and head of US Cyber Command created to defend against Internet-based attacks.
"My concern is destructive attacks with serious consequences on critical infrastructure (and key government systems)," Alexander said.
He displayed a list of major companies including banks; credit card firms; videogame and car makers, and even computer security outfits, successfully hacked in the past two years.
"There are a lot of companies with tremendous cyber security expertise getting hacked," Alexander said.
"The reality is that this is the community that who builds many of these tools," he continued with an apparent reference to software weapons wielded by cyber attackers.
"This community, better than anyone, understands where this is going and what we can do to fix that."
He referred to Def Con as "the world's best cyber community."
Alexander, who sprinkled humor and personal stories into his talk, displayed a website for NSA job seekers.
"We need great talent," he said. "We don't pay as high as some of the others, but we are fun to be around."
Reaction in the audience ranged from stone-faced silence to grumbling that if federal official want hackers to be their friends they should stop arresting them.

Alexander did not take questions directly from the audience but did answer queries that Def Con founder and organizer Jeff Moss, whose hacker name is Dark Tangent, received via Twitter or other channels.
First, Moss said, he wanted to know whether the NSA keeps files on everyone and, if so, how he could see his.
Moss has gone on to head security at the agency responsible for the world's website addresses since starting Def Con as a young hacker 20 years ago.
"Absolutely not," Alexander said, noting that the humorous question deserved a serious answer. "The people who are saying we are doing that should know better."

»www.google.com/hostednew ··· 2e87.2d1

Spy4
Premium Member
join:2001-09-22
NE

1 recommendation

Spy4 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Alexander held firm that the Internet defenses could be ramped up without sacrificing privacy or civil liberties. A "perfectly secure" Internet is in the nation's best interest and would help revive the staggering economy, he argued.
"Look at all the intellectual property we've lost over the past decade," Alexander said. "It's huge. If we could fix that it would help our economic growth."

just showing the rest for those that don't click the link