spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DAVsniper

join:2012-07-16
Raeford, NC

[Scam] Caribbean cruise line( LIE)

I went through a frustrating episode with Caribbean cruise lines. They call, you take a simple survey, and WOW, you win a FREE trip. BS. I took the deal with the express knowledge that I could cancel due to my health, I am a vet with a disability vet. I informed them of this. The NICE young lady said it would not be a problem. Well my kidneys failed and I started dialysis. I told the rep that I wanted to cancel. She was very rude and uneducated. She told me to take dialysis before I left and after I got back. Just like it is no big deal, everybody is doing it. I am livid. I read up on a few posts from last year by a group of informed members and I was shocked. I have called my credit card people and the local news investigative team. I am not a powerful man, but I know a few people in power and I will put there names out there: Sen Bob Dole, Sen John McCain and Paul Wolfowitz. I told her it was unethical to try to take money from a disabled American , decorated war vet, she just laughed in my face and said her husband served 25 years in the Army, I asked her did she rob him too? I am going to see what my friends can do about theses scam artists and their unethical practices. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject matter, I am all ears!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by DAVsniper:

They call, you take a simple survey, and WOW, you win a FREE trip.

You should have already been suspicious at that point. Remember the old saying "There's no such thing as free lunch". There's also no such thing as free cruises.

Sure, businesses sometimes use giveaways as a marketing gimmick. And maybe it is possible to get lucky with one of those. But you should always ask yourself what they are marketing.

A free cruise is far too much to be a likely marketing freebie.

The two most common gimmicks seem to be:

(a) You get a free vacation, but you are required to attend a high pressure sales promotion (probably for time shares).

(b) You get a free cruise, but you have to pay the incidental expenses. And those incidental expenses turn out to be very steep, so that the profits they rake in on them is more than enough to actually pay for the cruise.

As I see it, the (a) kind of vacation giveaway is the more honest of the two - which is not to say that it is honest.

-----------

I have received many of those "take our survey and receive a free cruise" phone calls. As far as I can tell, they were all scams.

Take a survey, and receive a free cruise - there is no way that could not be a scam.
Take a survey, and get chance (say, one in a million) of winning a free cruise - it could be legit, but if you turn out to be a winner of the cruise be very suspicious.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 13.0

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to DAVsniper
For reference for anyone just joining us, a couple of other threads on this:

»[Scam] Caribbean Cruise Line

»[Scam] Cruise line mail?

MGD
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-31
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to DAVsniper
said by DAVsniper:

I went through a frustrating episode with Caribbean cruise lines.

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject matter, I am all ears!

Yes, however, if you can provide some additional details then I can offer you more precise thoughts on the matter.

You did not state the time period from when you made the purchase until you called to cancel. ??

In addition to other requirements, Florida law mandates a 30 day cancellation period with full refund for vacation / cruise certificates, of which yours was probably the later. Many scammy telemarketers try to dissuade victims by stating that the law only applies to Florida residents. Not true, it applies to everyone, even to buyers from outside the US. The law governs Florida entities or if the telemarketing call originates from Florida.

said by DAVsniper:

........... I have called my credit card people ...........

What did your credit card issuer say ??

Please post the full billing descriptor as it appeared on the line item charge on your card statement. Usually a name "John Doe Company Inc FL 800-000-0000". We may be able to identify the specific registered entity and its principals. Post any additional phone numbers that you have for them.

Please post ONLY the first 7 digits of the 23 digit ARN (Acquirer Reference Number) which appeared next to the billing descriptor on your credit card statement.

We may be able to identify the name of the financial institution where the merchant account proceeds are deposited. Though they do not refund money, they are the bank responsible for issuing the merchant processing account and distributing the proceeds. They are worth complaining to as a last resort. In many cases long term scams uses foreign based processors as they have been booted and blocklisted by domestic institutions.

If you have not done so already, you should file a complaint with the state of Florida here: »www.800helpfla.com/complnt.html

They have remarkable success with obtaining refunds from CBL:

The State of Florida also mirrors the good advice given above by nwrickert See Profile, here »www.800helpfla.com/scams/travelconcern.html and here »www.800helpfla.com/travel_text.html

MGD
Expand your moderator at work

Legacy2

join:2012-07-27
reply to DAVsniper

Re: [Scam] Caribbean cruise line( LIE)

While I kept the guy from Caribbean Cruise Lines on the phone for about an hour (knowing it was a scam), I did some digging; here's what I found:

The ship he claimed the cruise was on, the Bahamas Celebration, is owned by Celebration Cruise Lines, and is the official cruise ship (I guess kind of a mascot) of the Port of Palm Beach. (When I pointed out that the link for the ship on the Port web site went to Celebration, and not Caribbean, he said it must be a mistake in the link.)

Caribbean Cruise Lines is not a cruise line, and does not own any ships. The few web sites in their name that I saw have no contact information - no phone number, no email address, no information/booking form, which is strange for any business.

I did call Celebration Cruise Lines, who told me that Caribbean is a reseller that does buy cruise tickets wholesale from Celebration, who has no knowledge of or control over what happens to those tickets afterwards. They are aware of complaints concerning Caribbean and are investigating, pending the outcome of which they may stop selling to them.

The woman I spoke to at Celebration did not know how long they have been aware of problems with Caribbean, nor could she confirm whether the scam is being perpetrated by Caribbean Cruise Lines, or someone using the reseller's name.

In any case, caveat emptor.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to DAVsniper
I got a few letters, from both the AG of Florida, and Georgia. Carribean cruise lines is a known scam. I got a "free" cruise from the for attending a cookware sales/demo. I tried to set it up, and they needed my dates at which I could take it, or it would expire(and it clearly says on it that it does not expire). Nevertheless, i filed complaints against them, and their parent companies(easy to find if you look in the florida business registries, its 1 of about a dozen companies using the same number and address, all registered to a few people outside of the USA(with non-USA addresses). Hopefully, these scams can be shut down, at least their USA call centers and couterparts.

CCLaction

join:2012-10-30
Seattle, WA
reply to DAVsniper
A member of our office experienced the same thing. We are a Seattle-based law firm and are preparing to file a class action lawsuit against this company. Could we please call you and have a confidential conversation about your experience? If so, please send us a confidential email at CCLclassaction@igc.org and we will get right back to you. Thanks in advance. This company really needs to be held accountable.

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA
said by CCLaction:

A member of our office experienced the same thing. We are a Seattle-based law firm and are preparing to file a class action lawsuit against this company. Could we please call you and have a confidential conversation about your experience? If so, please send us a confidential email at CCLclassaction@igc.org and we will get right back to you. Thanks in advance. This company really needs to be held accountable.

Call me paranoid, but wonder if CCL attaches a non-disclosure clause in the "prize" agreement.

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA
reply to CCLaction
said by CCLaction:

Call me paranoid, but wonder if CCL attaches a non-disclosure clause in the "prize" agreement.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to DAVsniper
Hope you get your situation resolved. You've been treated excessively rude to the point of being abused.

On a related note I'm skeptical of cruise ship trips anyway. What other form of what is labeled as a vacation assures you a one in three chance of one or more of the following:

1. You will get Montezuma's revenge.

2. You will catch some rare virus or disease under mysterious circumstances along with most of the rest of the passengers.

3. The ship will run aground, tip over, sink, lose power, or suffer some calamity or malfunction.

4. You will "fall" overboard. The "accident" will be discovered half a day later. There will be no witnesses. You will have coincidentally had an argument with someone 1/2 hour before you go missing. Your body will never be found.