spc
uniqs
Fordguy
join:2012-07-16
Portsmouth, VA

Fordguy

Re: [VA] modem Levels

In the faqs about lvls it says

all downstream channels should be within a +/-2db window with respect to each other

what would cause channels 4-7 to be so far off compared to 1-3?

I get the same difference weather connected as is or straight to the outside cable box. thanks again
signcarver
join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

signcarver

When the faq was put out, they were mainly talking about modems that bond 4 channels as the 4 channels are tuned by the same tuner. The 8 channel versions usually have 2 32Mhz tuners, each of these tuners must have it's 4 channels in the +/-2db window.

In your case, more than likely, one tuner is tuning channels 1-3 and another 4-7.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to Fordguy

to Fordguy
said by Fordguy:

In the faqs about lvls it says

all downstream channels should be within a +/-2db window with respect to each other

what would cause channels 4-7 to be so far off compared to 1-3?

I get the same difference weather connected as is or straight to the outside cable box. thanks again

Hey I am also from portsmouth myself, and some of your signal levels are borderline. But unless your having trouble nothing to worry about. The reason 3 of your downstream channels have lower power levels, is because them three channels are in the 500mhz range, while the 4 channels with -9 to -10db power levels is in the 800mhz range. So yes it is normal for these channels power levels to be different when frequency range is that far apart. As for me saying some of your signal levels are borderline, with D3 they want downstream power levels between -10 to 10db max, closer to 0 the better. Also your 800mhz downstream channels are on the low side with downstream SNR specs, which cox likes minimum of 35db. Anyways if you are having no problems, let it be. But if you do start to have problems, signal levels do have a little room for improvement.
lilstone87

lilstone87

Click for full size
Here is a screenshot of my signal levels on the same exact channels you are connected to, so you can see the difference.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to Fordguy

to Fordguy
The +/-2db window spec is per bonding group. If you pay attention to the frequencies I suspect you'll see that the channels with better levels are likely in the 500Mhz group and the ones barely in spec are in the 800Mhz group.