share rss forum feed

garfield

join:2011-03-12
Columbus, GA
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Knology moving to metered consumption?

Just got this letter over the weekend and am partially quoting it here:
We've notice over the past few months that you have been consistently exceeding normal Internet bandwidth consumption levels of 250 Gigabytes per month whereas average customer bandwidth consumption is 10-20 Gigabytes per month. ... There a number of causes for exceeding you monthly limit.

FYI I've been with Knology for the better part of 5 years and as far as I know consumption has never been 10-20 Gb a month for our household.

Interesting that this comes not long after WOW bought out Knology :(

BiGdUsTy

join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology

Got to protect that video revenue! Looks like Knology/WOW is buying into the caps & overage bullshit. If it goes down here in PC the only option is Comcast Business Class.

It was also my understanding that WOW didn't cap.

BiGdUsTy

Panama City Beach, FL
reply to garfield

Got the letter now looking at other options. It's a sad day for Knology.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Knology

Hmmmmm. What are you guys doing on average? I haven't done as much lately as I used to. I used to average between 100GB & 175GB a month. Here are my past yr totals...

Month Total
July 2011 65.0 GB
August 2011 100.0 GB
September 2011 81.7 GB
October 2011 86.4 GB
November 2011 91.4 GB
December 2011 106.2 GB
January 2012 23.9 GB
February 2012 16.0 GB
March 2012 42.5 GB
April 2012 92.3 GB
May 2012 88.6 GB
June 2012 37.5 GB
July 2012 27.8 GB

BTW, WOW announced that they official have completed the Knology deal today.

--
Certified Jenius!

BiGdUsTy

Panama City Beach, FL
Reviews:
·Knology

I didn't buy a docsis 3 modem and pay for edge to average 10 to 20GB a month. Hell 250GB is a joke even Comcast has dropped that for now. Of course it'll be back with a 300GB cap and overage fees.

And how do they plan on enforcing this cap when they have no meter to check usage. At this point I'm going to ignore it and see what WOW does.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Knology

I hear ya Dusty. Unless it's grandma checking her email, most are using far more than that. I have 5 family members using 7 PCs, 3 smartphones using WiFi, 6 DirecTV boxes using VOD, Xbox360 using Netflix & Amazon Video.
--
Certified Jenius!

BiGdUsTy

Panama City Beach, FL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to garfield

"Dear xxxxx

Thank you for being a part of the Knology family. We're proud to provide the very best in Internet, cable and telephone services.

We've noticed over the past few months that you have been consistently exceeding normal Internet bandwidth consumption levels of 250 Gigabytes per month whereas average customer bandwidth consumption is 10-20 Gigabytes per month.

Overconsumption can sometimes lead to congestion and slowdowns for the customers in your area and could be affecting your own internet usage depending upon the cause. There are a number of potential causes for exceeding your monthly limit. Here are a few of the most common causes we have seen:

Unsecured wireless router
The router does not have a password which allows others to connect to it and surf on someone else's connection.

Continuous, unmonitored streaming of content
Some Content streaming services will continue to stream video even if you are not watching it.

Viruses and Potential Takeovers
Viruses or Bots can take over a machine and send out messages unbeknownst to the user.

Business usage
Many businesses use the residential broadband connection as a business connection which it is not designed to be.

If your are unsure why your are receiving this letter, or need guidance in managing your consumption, please don't hesitate to call 850-215-1000 and we will be happy to assist in troubleshooting the issue.

If you are a business owner and need to upgrade to a business account, please contact our business services call center at 850-215-2273.

Thank you for being such a valuable, loyal Knology customer. Please call us any time with questions.

Sincerely,
Knology Customer Service Team"

garfield

join:2011-03-12
Columbus, GA
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

And your typing the whole letter--same one I got--is supposed to mean what exactly?

My point was nowhere do they mention typical usage for a family including all/most of what goober22 mentions. Knology's tone in the letter (as I percieved it) was that either I'm an idiot and have an unsecured wireless router (nope), do unmonitored streaming (nope, it's watched/played), or have viruses (nope, all secure here on every device that uses this account). And nope, this a residence with real live family members who most definitely do not run a business out of our home.

BiGdUsTy

Panama City Beach, FL
reply to garfield

I posted it so that others can see whats going down in full!

We can turn this into a troll thread if you like. I'd much rather stay on topic however.

BiGdUsTy

Panama City Beach, FL
Reviews:
·Knology

From the horse's mouth.

"Knology, Inc. BiGdUsTy - we sent letters to those customers who exceed the normal data consumption of 10-20GB with a high consumption of 250GB or more. We do this service as a courtesy to our customers to ensure that they are not only aware but also educate them on the potential factors such as unsecured wireless routers, viruses and potential takeovers, etc. We are not enforcing a data cap at this time, we are strictly educating our customers to ensure we are able to provide them with the best package that meets their data needs."

BluesKen

@knology.net

I'm one of those who received the letter. I contacted Knology since My Knology states you can monitor your own usage.

"Customers can view their PPV, toll and internet usage on My Knology. To view usage, select Usage from Menu and click on Telephone to view the long distance calls, Cable PPV to view PPV usage, or Internet to view internet usage:"

After 5 days of emails they finally told me there was no way to do it. For the last couple of days I have been experiencing internet dropouts lasting anywhere from 30 seconds or so to a couple of minutes. The suspicious part of me wonders if they are experimenting with throttling.

zpm

join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

if it's dropping a lot... it might be a bad face plate like my sitrep....

6 months of hell fixed in 2 minutes when someone smart enough to run a test on my modem line....

ignore the e-mails... i'm not even coming close to using 100 gigs in a month and i game, stream music, dl bunch of crap and don't even come close........

newer routers have traffic monitoring in them.. might want to consider an upgrade.....

also, no meter in the world is even remotely close since they base it on data, and don't filter out half of there own chat between your modem and their internal network (i.e system broadcast, system maint...)... thats why data caps and overages won't last... it's inaccurate and they can say you used 1tb in a month, but we all know, if that happens.. your not a customer... your a provider!!! LAWL!!!

just to prove me right

Last 30 Days (2012-08-11 ~ 2012-07-13)
Reception 26.09 GB
Transmission 5.85 GB
Total 31.94 GB

8/7/2012 11:43 84000700 5 RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/7/2012 11:43 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/7/2012 11:44 85010200 5 TCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/7/2012 11:44 85010300 5 Initializing Channel Timeout Expires - Time the CM can perform initial ranging on all upstream channels in the TCS has expired;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/7/2012 11:45 82000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/8/2012 5:04 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/8/2012 5:05 82000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/8/2012 15:58 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/8/2012 15:58 82000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/8/2012 23:46 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8/8/2012 23:47 82000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=mac;CMTS-MAC=mac;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

as log as their system tries to keep broadcasting enough data each day to make about 100 KB, they won't be charging me for overages..........

if they really want a fight (ISP's) on data caps.... then pretty much we can all dl wireshark and see whats really come in and out..... and how much is real customer data versus ISP data...

if you really do the math, it's about 80-20

80% user traffic and 20% ISP!!!!