spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Leek7
join:2006-10-17
Kingwood, TX

Leek7

Torrent Issues

I own the fios connection going into my house. I have a housemate who pays me to use the internet. I torrent things and I am careful enough about what I torrent, and how I do it to not get emails from Verizon. He is not. I've approached him about it and he denies it. I know it is not me because the violations are stuff I don't listen to or watch. So my question is.

How can I just block his torrent access and not mine?

He is over wireless if that helps any and I am wired into the router. I have the Actiontec MI424-WR rev F

siersema
join:2005-06-16
Mansfield, TX

siersema

Depends on the software he is using. Bit Torrent starts at Port 6881 to Port 6999 .. you would need to block that entire port range to stop all access thru bit torrent clients - just Google block torrents and read on how to block that access. You could also block ports based upon MAC address.
xocsucram
join:2008-10-02

xocsucram to Leek7

to Leek7
its real simple(well its simple with 3rd party routers...good luck figuring out the Fios one)

but set up a static DHCP in your router and create port blocks for his connection. or hes the only person with a device that accesses wirelessly you could probably just create blocks for just wireless access..

first off you can block all UDP ports other than 53 which is all thats necessary for all internet browsing use

and you can block all TCP ports other than 80, 88, 443 which will allow him to access the internet and sign into any forums or accounts which requires port 443 SSL, depending on some sites there might be 1 or 2 other ports cant remember.

if he dont like it tell him to get his own internet, most new computer network cards have the ability to use mobile data plans rather than normal ethernet or wifi, if he cant get a seperate connection from verizon or who ever other ISPs services that area

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Leek7

Premium Member

to Leek7
BT can be assigned any port ... so port blocking won't do anything

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to Leek7

Premium Member

to Leek7
The FIOS TOS ( »www.verizon.net/policies ··· opup.asp) pretty much covers the restriction on selling the service:

AUTHORIZED USER, ACCOUNT USE, AND RESPONSIBILITIES.

You acknowledge that you are eighteen (18) years of age or older and that you have the legal authority to enter into this Agreement. You agree promptly to notify Verizon whenever your personal or billing information changes.

You are responsible for all use of your Service and account, whether by you or someone using your account with or without your permission, including all secondary or sub-accounts associated with your primary account, and to pay for all activity associated with your account. You agree to comply with all applicable laws, regulations and rules regarding your use of the Service and to only use the Service within the United States (unless otherwise permitted by this Agreement).

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell, re-provision or rent the Service, (either for a fee or without charge) or allow third parties to use the Service via wired, wireless or other means. For example, you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot), use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Leek7

Premium Member

to Leek7
I think roommates sharing internet (and the bill) with one roommate being the primary contact on the bill is quite common and not against the TOS.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949

Premium Member

said by Gordo74:

I think roommates sharing internet (and the bill) with one roommate being the primary contact on the bill is quite common and not against the TOS.

A little bit further in the TOS, there is a section dealing with the service being used:

If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

However, the OP states that "I have a housemate who pays me to use the internet., which seems to be in conflict with the previous section that I posted. I do not know which area would be the overiding paragraph.

Your point is valid, though.

ibecowtippin
@dhs.gov

ibecowtippin to Leek7

Anon

to Leek7
My experience--teenage son, enough said

I will tell you that you can try to block ports, MAC filter, etc all you want. If you do not want him to download torrents, the easiest way is not not let him use the internet connection at all.

We went through all the hoops, filters, setting up blocks of time when the wireless would shut off, etc. The only real way to get him to stop is throw a new WPA-2 password on the router and not share it.

If it is like our son, he'll just get one someone else's wireless internet connection, which is another story in itself
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool to Leek7

to Leek7
Buy a Linksys Router with Tomato firmware on top. Then put these IP Tables in

iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p tcp -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 0/0 -m mport --dports 21,22,25,80,110,3724,443,6112,6881:6999 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I FORWARD 2 -p udp -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 0/0 --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I FORWARD 3 -p icmp -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I FORWARD 4 -p tcp -s 192.168.2.2 -d 0/0 -m mport --dports 1:65535 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I FORWARD 5 -p udp -s 192.168.2.2 -d 0/0 --dport 1:65535 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I FORWARD 6 -p tcp -s 192.168.2.123 -d 0/0 -m mport --dports 1:65535 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I FORWARD 7 -p udp -s 192.168.2.123 -d 0/0 --dport 1:65535 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I FORWARD 8 -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 0/0 -j DROP

shmee
join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA

shmee to Leek7

to Leek7
two steps, simple solution

1.) smack your idiot housemate upside the head (punishment for the headache he's caused)

2.) teach him your methodology behind "how I do it to not get emails from Verizon"
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to stevek1949

Premium Member

to stevek1949
said by stevek1949:

However, the OP states that "I have a housemate who pays me to use the internet., which seems to be in conflict with the previous section that I posted. I do not know which area would be the overiding paragraph.

Your point is valid, though.

It should be thought of more as the roommate is giving the OP money to pay for part of the service, they're just splitting the bill.
Leek7
join:2006-10-17
Kingwood, TX

Leek7

Sorry been away for a while. Yeah we split part of the bill I actually pay the most. Whether it is against TOS or not I don't know how they would find out. I really think this is so you don't buy it for your place of business then charge customers for it.

Anyway it looks like I'll have to add another router.
xocsucram

1 edit

xocsucram

said by Leek7:

Sorry been away for a while. Yeah we split part of the bill I actually pay the most. Whether it is against TOS or not I don't know how they would find out. I really think this is so you don't buy it for your place of business then charge customers for it.

Anyway it looks like I'll have to add another router.

a router within your network isnt going to change the fact that all traffic in your household is connected to the same IP, he needs to get an entirely new account which would require its own ONT/modem to avoid issues.

or get an account from a different service provider which would probably be the easiest to do rather than go thru hoops explaining to Fios why you need a 2nd connection.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to Leek7

to Leek7
All of the methods mentioned above are easily circumvented.

Since your roommate is paying you, I suggest that you go out and purchase a router than you can put ddwrt or openvpn on it and run a VPN tunnel on it 100% of the time to an offshore tunnel location with dynamic IP. This way if he is doing anything suspect than this will greatly minimize your risk. That is the only way as an operator you can control such behavior.
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0 to Leek7

to Leek7
tell him to get a seedbox and be done with it.
xocsucram

1 edit

xocsucram to elefante72

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

All of the methods mentioned above are easily circumvented.

Since your roommate is paying you, I suggest that you go out and purchase a router than you can put ddwrt or openvpn on it and run a VPN tunnel on it 100% of the time to an offshore tunnel location with dynamic IP. This way if he is doing anything suspect than this will greatly minimize your risk. That is the only way as an operator you can control such behavior.

thats not the only way, infact you're basically saying he has go out and spend money to buy hardware to try and hid the illegal stuff this other guy is doing on his internet

he can tell the guy whos clearly a renter, 'housemate' what ever, its not his brother who grew up in the house, nor his wife or gf, its just a guy who pays him to live in an area of the house and he lets him use the internet thats already there by offering to split it out of curtsy

but if the guy wants to keep doing illegal on it, he can call up the other ISPs in the area, and get his own account set up and download all the movies and albums he wants and deal with the consequences. rather than OP having to do all this crap which wont ever fix anything.

the amount either of them would spend on a VPN or extra hardware and software, the guy could of already has his own line installed by Comcast or Time Warner or whoever and if he gets shut off from them, thats his problem, rather than OP "hope" hes not forced to give up his FIOS cause some renter got 3 violations on his IP.

an who the heck uses torrents anymore any way, this aint the 90s

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to Leek7

to Leek7
I hope you not only get a letter from Verizon, but the RIAA and MPAA as well.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

2 edits

Tokidoki to xocsucram

Premium Member

to xocsucram
said by xocsucram:

an who the heck uses torrents anymore any way, this aint the 90s

... what? I find that rather funny

Torrents weren't around in the 90s.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to Leek7

to Leek7
Blocking the ports is not really going to work other than not allowing him to connect to some peers that are using the default ports on legacy clients.

Your real best bet is to block access to the trackers which means an linux firewall (ddwrt/whatever) with a match string rule which actually inspects packets to normal traker ports as well as web (80/443/etc..) and looks for GET of /announce that almost all trackers use. Not really trivial if you don't know what your doing or have the proper router/firewall box.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

why don't you use open dns, and then block every tracker website you can dig up. I am sure you can find a list of bittorrent sites, or you could even do that in the router, but I think your speed in general may suffer if you do that in the router.

»lifehacker.com/153540/hu ··· nt-sites

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to Leek7

to Leek7
said by Leek7:

I own the fios connection going into my house. I have a housemate who pays me to use the internet. I torrent things and I am careful enough about what I torrent, and how I do it to not get emails from Verizon. He is not. I've approached him about it and he denies it. I know it is not me because the violations are stuff I don't listen to or watch. So my question is.

How can I just block his torrent access and not mine?

You are being WAY too nice. You own the connetion. Just shut off his access entirely, until he gets his attitude adjusted and starts playing by the rules.

Oh yeah, and make it clear that the 2nd offense means a PERMANENT shutoff for him.