Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[Wi-Fi] What gateways does Comcast use for HSI

While visiting my Grandma's house up in Maine, I upgraded her Internet on Time Warner Cable to DOCSIS 3.0 and they gave me an Ubee DVW3200 and it seems to work better than my Motorola SBG 6120 and Apple Airport router combination. I am thinking of taking the plunge and renting a modem/router combo. I don't need a voice modem, just a Internet gateway. The speeds on Grandma's TWC and my CC connection are the same at 30 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. The modem that Grandma has seems better.

I am wondering what modem/router (Internet gateways) Comcast carries, how do I get one, and cost (in addition to the $7 modem rental fee).

JPnATL

join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

my SB6121 works better than my 6120 so that is not an opinion I have both units and the 6121 out performs the the 6120 now I can't say if they out perform any other modem because its the only 2 I have used at this location.You can't use one modem at one house and another so and so miles from your house and come to the conclusion one out performs the other. Try this

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

very true, locations on the network can vary performance....

also to the OP most areas carry Arris gateways and SMC gateways.....you may think gateways are great, but they arent....

why do you say her setup worked better? there are quite a few factors that play into wireless speed/coverage.
--
I'm better than you!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to JPnATL

said by JPnATL:

my SB6121 works better than my 6120 so that is not an opinion I have both units and the 6121 out performs the the 6120

FWIW, both modems have basically the same guts, but the outer casings are different.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

I see on the Ubee website that the DDW3653 has Xfinity logos on the casing on the Ubee website. I am wondering if this is one of the Comcast offerings. Like I said, I am having good luck with an Ubee D3 gateway/voice modem at Grandma's house as she has Time Warner and it seems to work better than my Motorola 6120 and Apple Router. Grandma lives in Biddeford, ME (which is semi-rural). I don't need the voice portion as I only have HSI/Cable TV.

»www.ubeeinteractive.com/products···/ddw3653

I think this is a data only gateway.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to JPnATL

Simplest answer:

SMC:
SMCD3GNV

Arris:
TG852
TG862
TG862G

Ubee:
60740EUW

or just go to your local office...thats usually the best info.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Gateways are an inferior solution to a good network set up. Comcast gateways are well-known to be very limited in user configurable options.

That your grandmother's set up, in a different location and a different cable company appears to run better than your set up at your location really tells you little.

However, if you do wish to go that route, Comcast has one set price for equipment, $7 per month, be it a cable modem, eMTA, or wireless gateway. Initially, I was sent a D2 eMTA along with a D3 cable modem, and there was no additional rental cost.
--
Deeds, not words

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

2 edits

said by PeteC2:

Gateways are an inferior solution to a good network set up. Comcast gateways are well-known to be very limited in user configurable options.

That your grandmother's set up, in a different location and a different cable company appears to run better than your set up at your location really tells you little.

However, if you do wish to go that route, Comcast has one set price for equipment, $7 per month, be it a cable modem, eMTA, or wireless gateway. Initially, I was sent a D2 eMTA along with a D3 cable modem, and there was no additional rental cost.

So you think that the Moto 6120 with Apple Airport is a better setup than the Comcast Gateways.

Grandma's setup is the Ubee D3 Gateway and it has the generic Ubee firmware on it. The last time I had a Comcast Gateway, they were in their infancy and they had some bugs to work out. The Comcast Gateway (Was the Comcast Dory Arris TG 852) had Comcast proprietary firmware on it.

I am impressed by the performance of Grandma's modem and it seems to operate better as there is no hesitation when loading webpages. The speed is impressive as well. She has the TWC extreme (which is Time Warner's equivalent to Comcast Blast) and I have Blast at my house.

I wish Time Warner would have bought out the Comcast System in Springfield (MA) during the Adelphia liquidation. Their prices are a little more reasonable although they are sluggish on D3 Deployment. We just finally got D3 up in Maine where I had it at my place in Mass for several years now. TWC seems to be working out the bugs with D3 as well as I swapped an EMTA for a D3 model and the internet was working but it left Grandma without phone for a while as they had to troubleshoot on her end

This is what the speed tests on my grandma's new modem. It seems to have very short ping times.

danielr83

join:2007-05-25
Fresno, CA

I highly recommend not using the gateway devices, stick to a modem/router combo. You will be much happier.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to IowaCowboy

+1 for separate devices. Is it the initial website query that feels slow, or the entire loading process? Maybe try manually entering different DNS server addresses on your computer, if you're defaulting to letting the router handle DNS queries.

This is what I get on my business 50/10 connection pretty much 24/7. I'm using an SB6120 and a Netgear WNDR-3700 (v2) router, with DD-WRT flashed on it. Super responsive and rock-solid.

--
KI6RIT

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:61
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

So you think that the Moto 6120 with Apple Airport is a better setup than the Comcast Gateways.

Gateways are junk, you're just asking for problems.

Why not try taking the Airport out of the mix and plugging directly into your computer to do some testing? I've never been impressed with Apple's routers to be honest with you.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Id' never recommend a modem/router combo, never ever ever. Alot of people have issues with accessing the settings and it preventing them from having control of their network, especially with the lack of firmware upgrades, lack of IPv6 support, wireless reception. From a networking sense its always better to keep devices single function so less things can go wrong per device. YMMV and I wish you luck.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

very true, locations on the network can vary performance....

also to the OP most areas carry Arris gateways and SMC gateways.....you may think gateways are great, but they arent....

why do you say her setup worked better? there are quite a few factors that play into wireless speed/coverage.

What he said, the gateways are ok for a small, secluded connection, and by small I mean apartment sized but not an apartment otherwise you have 15 of them stacked on top of each other plus cordless phones all using 11 channels and it just does not work out in the end. If you live in an apartment you want to go buy a 5Ghz router, if you live in a house its too damn big for that hunk of junk gateway's range anyway so you want to buy a better router and use that, unless you only use your wireless in one central location and not extremities like a bedroom or garage.

As to her setup working better it could be as simple as you put the fitting on right that time, in all honestly or a different jumper that was not solid core 59, or any number of small things that can fix an internet connection that is going bonkers. We have ubee modems and emta's, but not gateways in my FFO. Arris and SMC only so far.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Yes. Now, there may be any number of reasons that your network is not as snappy as it should be, to include the wiring and signal at your location, your individual router, local interference, etc. but yes, I would take your SB6120 and Airport over any Comcast gateway!

I assume that you did not try to adjust many/any settings on your grandmother's gateway?

You will find that user-adjustable settings are very, very sparse compared to your own stand alone router.

Further, no all-in-one box will have the same range as a good stand alone router. With pretty much every gateway out there, the wireless router functionality is the unit's biggest compromise. So far, it appears that you can't stuff all that circuitry in one box and have both modem and router functions equally effective.

Edit: P.S. I am not at all saying that perhaps your set up is not working ideally! However, that should not lead you to the conclusion that a wireless gateway will be a better solution.
--
Deeds, not words