donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Kardinal

Re: [Serious] Scarborough block party turns violent

said by Kardinal:

said by donoreo:

Part of the problem is probably that most of the people that live there consider the police the enemy.

Yup, but that won't stop the blame game of "the police should have done something" because it's not like the locals are going to take responsibility for the actions of the locals.

I am saying that those outside will be asking the question but to those that live there it never entered their minds.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to WNGFAN 1

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

Oy - been there, done that, and met a Buffalo cop who was wondering what we were doing there. When I explained that the person from Fort Erie who I was staying with had a "bad sense of direction" (he was smashed) and asked for directions to get out of there, they were pretty cool about it and told me how to get back to Canada.

I was in the north-end of Buffalo yesterday afternoon during what I will assume is their rush hour. North Buffalo, comparatively speaking, is quite nice compared to most other areas of the city and not somewhere where you feel like you're going to be shot - you need to get to the east side of Main Street and onto Delevan for that, haha. Still, I saw more cop cars racing up and down the streets with lights flashing in the half hour period I was there than I would see in an entire month in St. Catharines.

Buffalo, for what it's worth, is a city of two worlds. For all intents and purposes, it's a segregated city. I hate to sound this way, but in the areas where the white people live it's a fantastic friendly city that you'll want to come back to. If you get onto the east side, where the black people live, it's a scary shithole that you'll wish you never visited.

loosedobbs

Toronto
said by Gone:

Buffalo, for what it's worth, is a city of two worlds. For all intents and purposes, it's a segregated city. I hate to sound this way, but in the areas where the white people live it's a fantastic friendly city that you'll want to come back to. If you get onto the east side, where the black people live, it's a scary shithole that you'll wish you never visited.

I observed almost same with my recent visit to Boston, Philly, Washington DC, NY, NJ.

Its like two different worlds. Absolutely Marvelous, Picturesque outside cities...especially in PA and city life (ghetto).

Then its again two worlds in once you enter cities.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by HiVolt:

Dude. I made a "wrong turn" onto that street (Danzig) once while cycling. Let me tell you, it was NOT pretty, and I hightailed it out of there quick. Its mostly townhouses and it was just PACKED with 'hoods sitting in front on lawn chairs, drinking alcohol and who knows what else...

I've been to most Toronto "projects" and they don't compare to the ones I went into in California. I would be shot for wearing the wrong colours and where there are spotters on the rooftops with walkie talkies and they stop your vehicle and confirm you are to be in the area with a local and then follow you in.

Frig thats just like the movie I recently saw with Denzel Washington about the first day on the job for a rookie cop. Great movie by the way. For street cruising, never forget the day I drove down a street in New Haven (perhaps Chapel?). Garbage cans acting as giant candles the whole bit. Windows rolled up tight, scared sheetless.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to WNGFAN 1
Now has a good collection of Tweets from the event and about it. There is a prediction of more violence.

»www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cf···t=187778

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by donoreo:

Now has a good collection of Tweets from the event and about it. There is a prediction of more violence.

Nice upstanding citizens... Just look at those tweets... sheesh...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

WNGFAN 1

join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Just f**in crazy.

loosedobbs

Toronto
reply to WNGFAN 1
Douche Adam Vaughan is with CityNews...on phone.
Same political BS...why buy F35 and more prisons...instead spend more money on Social programs, Sports scholarships etc..etc..

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by loosedobbs:

Same political BS...why buy F35 and more prisons...instead spend more money on Social programs, Sports scholarships etc..etc..

He may be off his rocker on the whole bullet ban thing, but when it comes to the whole social program aspect he does have a point. An idle mind is the devil's workshop. Keep the kids busy and they won't have time to go shooting each other.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

Douche Adam Vaughan is with CityNews...

What!?! he's not trying to ban block parties, or outdoor BBQ's?!

loosedobbs

Toronto
LOL no.
He wants more money so they can have more Block Parties and don not the want F35.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to loosedobbs
He's travelling and the city is picking up the tab on his roaming data charges, they shoved that threw last week. Pure gravy.

loosedobbs

Toronto
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by loosedobbs:

He may be off his rocker on the whole bullet ban thing, but when it comes to the whole social program aspect he does have a point. An idle mind is the devil's workshop. Keep the kids busy and they won't have time to go shooting each other.

to what extent is my argument.
You dont see many Asians shooting each others in Toronto.
Why the Black community only? Bishop L Walker said on CTV.
Its community problem. Police is not problem but silence (or no snitch?) is problem. Education is problem...50% kids have no father is problem.

Now you see the Gang violence in Punjabi community in Vancouver/Toronto is different. Most are well educated. Actually almost all are from Rich families and graduated University. So the money and education brings less crime is no true.
As I said here many times, Education/money don't make decent honest hard working people.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to loosedobbs
So in a nutshell Adam wants a federal grant to party with booze - gosh, don't we all.
Educational matters fall on the provincial government, as always he’s pointing his finger in the wrong direction.

I don't have an issue with afterschool programs, either educational or sport (better yet do both) however I don't support sports scholarships unless the kid can reach the bare minimum of educational standards. Throwing a ball into a hoop, a puck into a goal, or a football across a field, is not a solution for getting people out of poverty (no matter how bad the Raptors/Leafs/Argos are).

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

to what extent is my argument.
You dont see many Asians shooting each others in Toronto.
Why the Black community only? Bishop L Walker said on CTV.
Its community problem. Police is not problem but silence (or no snitch?) is problem. Education is problem...50% kids have no father is problem.
Now you see the Gang violence in Punjabi community in Vancouver/Toronto is different. Most are well educated. Actually almost all are from Rich families and graduated University. So the money and education brings less crime is no true.
As I said here many times, Education/money don't make decent honest hard working people.

You answered your own question. It all comes down to Education. Asian kids, stereotypically or not, always have their nose in a book. Those who are troublemakers are typically more educated and engage in different types of criminal activity without a spillover effect. Same for the Punjabi community you mentioned. A more educated person even engages in a target and more highly educated level of criminal activity that doesn't result in 20 people getting shot.

I'm not about to debate the finer points of the woes of a black community. One can look up the educational and family (read: no father) statistics themselves. All I said is that, on the surface, Adam Vaughan has a point - find things for them to do, else they'll find less desirable things on their own to do instead. His specifics may be stupid, but the overall idea is not.

And for anyone who chimes in and says they don't want to pay for it, your tune will change fast when that violence starts to spill into your own little enclave. Building prisons and throwing them in jail achieves nothing because they could give two shits about the deterrent factor of jail. Find something for them to do before they start shooting people up and you've killed two birds with one stone - reduce crime and save money on prison space.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to WNGFAN 1
Does anyone know, is this neighbourhood like to go to Caribana (or whatever it is called now)? That may turn things nasty.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
said by donoreo:

Does anyone know, is this neighbourhood like to go to Caribana (or whatever it is called now)? That may turn things nasty.

I've been to Caribana and about 1/4th of the people there are now WHITE couples with their kids in tow celebrating and dancing away. I laugh at the idiots who give Caribana a bad rap, it's a huge fun carnival. There is more violence at a white rock concert, believe me, and more belligerent drunks.

WNGFAN 1

join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON
reply to WNGFAN 1
Police have updated the numbers. 25 shot including the two fatalities.

»www.680news.com/news/local/artic···shooting

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
que the gun control lobby in 3 - 2 - .....

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

There is more violence at a white rock concert, believe me, and more belligerent drunks.

I doubt that but even if true I'll take drunken white idiots fist fighting than gangsta hippity hop wanna be thugs with guns any day.

organicbeast

join:2012-07-01
True dat!

organicbeast

reply to HiVolt
I myself live about 5 min drive from the place of incident. But I still believe that area to be safe provided I am not into any gangs and shit. Before this, I used to live in the Malvern area. Also a popular gang hood, frequent shootings etc. Again, even back then I was not into gangs. Just minded my own business. I've walked home many times around late night like 2-4am. Never had any problems.

organicbeast

reply to WNGFAN 1
I don't know what you guys say on this, but this all started with the popular Hip Hop culture of rap, gangs, rivalry and finally guns. Bang! Bang! And so it continues!...

Gza14

join:2002-12-31
Scarborough, ON
The urban culture was once one of life's lessons and positive messages.

Gone are those days, however; I pity our children, and our future as a whole.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to organicbeast
said by organicbeast:

I don't know what you guys say on this, but this all started with the popular Hip Hop culture of rap, gangs, rivalry and finally guns. Bang! Bang! And so it continues!...

You mean like this garbage? (some local Toronto hoods)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRddLLX-···youtu.be

Cops should just round up every one of those clowns from the video and toss em in the slammer. Guaranteed none of them hold a job or provide for their family with legal means.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Gza14

join:2002-12-31
Scarborough, ON
God, that's not hip hop, that's fcking NOISE.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to WNGFAN 1
The guy who died help found a barbershop near me. I have never seen anyone in the store, and and it was closed for a few weeks earlier in the year.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to WNGFAN 1
That asswipe fantino chimes in:

Julian Fantino is the federal minister responsible for helping the world’s poor, but he is also a former Toronto police chief and, on the day after gunmen sprayed bullets into a street party in that city’s east end, he said there must be a “meaningful” price paid for such disregard of human life.

“This is not a time for panicking. It is a time for people to work together at all levels and find solutions that actually will deal with these people in a preventable way,” Mr. Fantino, the International Development Minister, said in a telephone interview on Tuesday.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol···4424086/
--
»www.timslaw.ca/

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

The interesting thing is the police say at least two guns had been used, hardly the normal thing you would bring to a BBQ (excluding Texas), and completely unlawful as well. (Handguns can't be loaded during transport, can't be transported in an unsecured fashion and can only be transported with police consent between the owner’s residence and their pre-defined target range - but like any laws these only apply to the lawful; murder is illegal as well and yet its still going on.)

Ummm...quite clearly, these thugs were not one bit concerned with the legality of actually transporting their loaded weapons to a murder scene.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/