spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mfruit
join:2008-12-14
San Francisco, CA

mfruit

Fusion speed slowdown?

Over this weekend, I noticed my Fusion speeds go from ~11.5Mbps to around ~9.7Mbs. And it's even slower today at ~9Mbps.

Has anyone else experienced this slowdown?

In the past, if I had problems with slowdowns, I was able to restore full speed by power cycling the modem. But not this time, I'm stuck at ~9Mbps. It's not horrible but it would be nice if I could get back to my old speeds.

Thanks.

Snypes
join:2003-12-29
Santa Rosa, CA

Snypes

If you would be so kind as to send me an IM of your Sonic.net username I would be happy to take a look at the line.

Best!

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester to mfruit

to mfruit
After reading your posting I also ran a couple of Fusion speed tests and my speed has also dropped from ~9960 Kbps to ~8157 Kbps.

My location is San Francisco 94115, near Alamo Square approximately ~5100' to central office.

»/testh ··· 94/aa63d

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

Speed tests are inherently unreliable indicators.

Do you know, has your actual speed (sync speed) changed? (If you're not sure, support has historical graphs and could look this up.)

-Dane
mfruit
San Francisco, CA

mfruit to Snypes

to Snypes
Hi,

I just emailed you my Sonic.net username.

Thanks for looking into this.

And Dane, my Fusion speeds have definitely slowed down over the past week from ~11.5Mbps to ~8.8Mbps. In addition to the speed test, I check using NNTP transfers of a few GBs so it's definitely not my imagination.

Snypes
join:2003-12-29
Santa Rosa, CA

Snypes

I got your message and took a look at your connection. There is definitely a load issue on the circuit and a ground imbalance. At this point we want to isolate where the trouble lies. This is normally done with a comparative test of the circuit with and without your internal wiring. Check your phone box to see if you have a test jack or a way to easily disconnect your internal wiring and then have support run a pair of loop mechanical tests to see how the circuit looks under both situations. That will tell us if we need to send our tester or an AT&T line technician to try and correct this issue. I am fairly certain this can be corrected, we just need a bit of data to proceed. Looking forward to getting this straightened out.
mfruit
San Francisco, CA

mfruit

(Weird. I thought I replied but somehow my earlier message doesn't appear. Anyway...)

Hi Snypes,

Thanks for looking into this. Unfortunately, I'm in a huge complex (100+ units) and I have no idea where the telco equipment is. In fact, I don't think that property management knows either.

Is there anything that can be done without access to the onsite telco wiring?

If not, I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that whatever issue caused the slowdown will go away at some point.

Thanks again.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

In a multi-dwelling-unit, there will be a telco room, which we can do testing in by dispatching one of our technicians.

-Dane
mfruit
San Francisco, CA

mfruit

Thanks for the information, Dane.

Fortunately, whatever issue that was affecting speeds has gone away. Speeds are back up to 11Mbps again.

(Or if you guys did anything to address the problem, thanks!)