how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

[Rant] THis is why Facebook needs to go away!

Click for full size
Just what I like to see when I log onto Facebook. Especially if my 5 year old daughter happens to walk over just about the time I log in.

This is why Facebook should go away like the rest.

And before you start, I know, why don't I just leave. If this keeps up, which it probably will, than I am!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

3 recommendations

I don't see any of those - my guess it is based on things you have 'Liked'. Don't like the things that cause this type of advertising.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

Just what I like to see when I log onto Facebook. Especially if my 5 year old daughter happens to walk over just about the time I log in.

This is why Facebook should go away like the rest.

And before you start, I know, why don't I just leave. If this keeps up, which it probably will, than I am!

This is what happens when you give a 3rd party permissions to post stuff... because someone clicked and specifically allowed for this stuff to be permitted.
So feel free to go under apps and disallow them...
Side note: the developers of allowed apps get permission to access pretty much all your info (at least what is listed when the app requests permissions).

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

NSFW Tag.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to cowboyro

I have not LIKED anything from these folks. They just started showing up one day and trying to keep ahead of Facebook's auto opt in and the maze to get rid of the stuff has become ridiculous.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

NSFW Tag.

My posting or Facebook in general?

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ropeguru

So to be fair, I just went in and looked into where the Videos are coming from. They are from the spam that showed up one day known as Socialcam of which I have NEVER clicked on or viewed any Socialcam video or link.

Just another case of Facebook forcing everyone to be opted in and having to try and stay ahead of all the crap it is spewing to keep it off the user's page.

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
reply to ropeguru

You saw a video shared by someone and inadvertently clicked "allow" to all requests in order to see the video.
Go under apps. I would be *extremely surprised* if SocialCam wasn't in your allowed list.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

If you are talking about the apps list, Socialcam is NOT in my apps list.

In fact, I just cleaned out all the apps that have NOT been used in the last 6 months and the ONLY app I have left is FamilyTree.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

i have zero apps authorizeed for me and i still see that garbage too, its not something the user chose to see, its something facebook chose us to see.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

That's weird. I have no apps authorized and I see none of this.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

Is the second pic one of the squatters?

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

said by RockCake:

Is the second pic one of the squatters?

Appears so to me. LOL

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

If you are talking about the apps list, Socialcam is NOT in my apps list.

In fact, I just cleaned out all the apps that have NOT been used in the last 6 months and the ONLY app I have left is FamilyTree.

Was it on your own wall or on some friend's wall???

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

My wall.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to ropeguru

It is exactly what FB has it labeled as, a "trending article". I rarely ever see them. I suspect it may be something FB is testing so some will see it, some won't, etc, etc.

As I recall, there's no "x" available to hide, block, report, etc either. More reason I suspect it's something FB is pushing.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

»socialfixer.com/ and ABP on firefox makes facebook look like it did when it first came out

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to ropeguru

My significant other is very active in community theater, and I've met a lot of people she hangs out with so they've friended me on facebook. It's funny, every time I check out one of their pages I get a lot of what I would call 'gay friendly' ads on my facebook. I guess in whatever ad algorhythm fb uses, interest in community theater = gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just find it amusing.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

3 recommendations

reply to M A R S

Click for full size
said by M A R S:

»socialfixer.com/ and ABP on firefox makes facebook look like it did when it first came out

Socialfixer is an excellent add-on for many of the major browsers.. Under the 'Popular' category of options there is a "Disable Trending Articles and Trending Videos" - that will do the trick.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

Some more stuff FB is doing that is similar to the O.P.

»www.zdnet.com/is-facebook-damagi···0000828/

Is Facebook damaging your reputation with sneaky political posts?

Summary: Most of us have a Facebook profile, and most of us take a haphazard approach to segregating our business and personal lives. That can cause serious headaches, thanks to a troublesome new Facebook feature.
Ed Bott

By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | July 12, 2012
...snip.....
So you might be shocked to learn that Facebook is automatically publishing posts under your name and placing them at the top of the News feed for your friends. In some cases, these posts can include controversial political content that you would never voluntarily post.
The rest of the article is an interesting read and I have found "friends" "posting". or rather Facebook post for them, items as outlined in the article.

Conclusion: Be careful what one likes and signup for very few apps, if any.

I only use it due to a number of old coworkers, relatives and folks I graduated High School.

Just about ready to use this link: »www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

This is why I only use Facebook in a copy of Iron portable, which I use only for Facebook and absolutely nothing else. I never sign into Facebook from any other browser, and thus can't "Like" a page even accidentally.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to ropeguru

What browser are you using? I had something like that happen with Chrome and when I went to firefox the ads were gone. I had to uninstall Chrome and re-install. Something with Chrome was goofing up.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

Various.. Firefox, chrome and IE. It is embedded in my news listing.

Digging into it, the only way I have now been able to get rid of it is to force an individually added block on Socialcam. I really hope they do not expect everyone to do this for every individual piece of crap that they opt you in for.

Edit to add: I have completely forgotten that I also saw it through the Facebook App on my Android phone.

M A R S
Premium
Long Island

said by ropeguru:

Digging into it, the only way I have now been able to get rid of it is to force an individually added block on Socialcam. I really hope they do not expect everyone to do this for every individual piece of crap that they opt you in for.

Did you see anything i posted?

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

said by M A R S:

said by ropeguru:

Did you see anything i posted?

You talking about the one post with reference to ABP and socialfixer? Yes..

M A R S
Premium
Long Island

Right that can rid your life of all this shit with little effort.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

said by M A R S:

Does it block Facebook too? That would be even better!!! LOL

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by ropeguru:

said by M A R S:

+1 PTU
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

said by M A R S:

Just edit your hosts file to point facebook.com to 127.0.0.1

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to ropeguru

I blame the OP. I never see any of that stuff and have never allowed apps. Don't click links=problem solved.
--
Professional student pilot!