share rss forum feed

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to hortnut

Re: [Rant] THis is why Facebook needs to go away!

This is why I only use Facebook in a copy of Iron portable, which I use only for Facebook and absolutely nothing else. I never sign into Facebook from any other browser, and thus can't "Like" a page even accidentally.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to ropeguru

What browser are you using? I had something like that happen with Chrome and when I went to firefox the ads were gone. I had to uninstall Chrome and re-install. Something with Chrome was goofing up.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

Various.. Firefox, chrome and IE. It is embedded in my news listing.

Digging into it, the only way I have now been able to get rid of it is to force an individually added block on Socialcam. I really hope they do not expect everyone to do this for every individual piece of crap that they opt you in for.

Edit to add: I have completely forgotten that I also saw it through the Facebook App on my Android phone.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

said by ropeguru:

Digging into it, the only way I have now been able to get rid of it is to force an individually added block on Socialcam. I really hope they do not expect everyone to do this for every individual piece of crap that they opt you in for.

Did you see anything i posted?

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

said by M A R S:

said by ropeguru:

Did you see anything i posted?

You talking about the one post with reference to ABP and socialfixer? Yes..

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

Right that can rid your life of all this shit with little effort.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

said by M A R S:

Does it block Facebook too? That would be even better!!! LOL

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by ropeguru:

said by M A R S:

+1 PTU
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

said by M A R S:

Just edit your hosts file to point facebook.com to 127.0.0.1

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to ropeguru

I blame the OP. I never see any of that stuff and have never allowed apps. Don't click links=problem solved.
--
Professional student pilot!

Mr Anon

@k12.il.us
reply to ropeguru

This is not a just a facebook issue, this is an issue with auto generated or user posted materiel that. I did not add that isn't moderated because this too goes for google image search which is moderated.

"Trending Videos" will show if you read your bare news feed and enough people on your friends list have viewed the video... I think, or enough people near you or whatever. It's not actually based on content they think you'd like or that you have watched.

The google tie in: I work in a school district and we don't allow image searches, a friend of mine works in another district where they do, they use the same filter but force the safe search option. In his district a class assignment was to search you name and when one student did so, they found some very... school inappropriate images. Even with safe search set to strict, they would still show, errors happen. (it has since been fixed for that result)

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to M A R S

said by M A R S:

»socialfixer.com/ and ABP on firefox makes facebook look like it did when it first came out

I just installed it and tried it out, so far I like it. I also like some of the features it has, such as hide post unless new comments are posted, which is useful on keeping up with posts I want.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

I blame the OP. I never see any of that stuff and have never allowed apps. Don't click links=problem solved.

Blame who ever you want. I know what I do and do not click.

You post is useless!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to ropeguru

The best way to fix this is to just stop using Facebook to begin with.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

said by thegeek:

The best way to fix this is to just stop using Facebook to begin with.

Very true and I am almost to that point. Already removed the app from my phone.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Mr Anon

said by Mr Anon :

"Trending Videos" will show if you read your bare news feed and enough people on your friends list have viewed the video... I think, or enough people near you or whatever.

Hence why it's called "trending". It means it's popular and the way FB works is, they create connections or links between you and all of your friends (and probably put more "weight" on friends you interact with more*), so you can be certain that "close friends" of yours have watched those videos or read those stories.

* Ever notice wall posts from a friend you don't interact with very often never appear on your feed ? That's where the weighting factor comes in.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

Ah said in the finest American Tradition "If I don't like it, It should be banned."

Not "I should prevent it from being shown." but it shouldn't be available so I don't have to lift a finger?
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Paolo

Reminds me of linkedin or Digg posts.

I have none of that on my FB because I don't click on any links.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to CylonRed

Or better yet DONT REGISTER ON THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

or better yet people need to understand how it works op included.
--
Professional student pilot!

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

You might be getting your wish:
»www.hardocp.com/news/2012/07/17/···decline/

Between banking and this - storms ahead:
»arstechnica.com/business/2012/07···ntent%29

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

Or better yet DONT REGISTER ON THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

I hate it when I agree with Dude111.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

I don't understand how people have issues with the use of FB.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by ropeguru:

said by M A R S:

Right - that can rid your life of all this shit with little effort.

Does it block Facebook too ? - That would be even better!!! LOL

+1 PTU

FOCROFPML !

BLOD ! (Best Laugh of Day !)

May FaceBORK suffer a REAL share price meltdown !

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

authurmell

join:2012-07-18
united kingd
reply to ropeguru

"Frictionless Sharing" - am with you OP... Socialcam NSFW spam posts started appearing in my News Feed without my interaction, it was only because some of my friends were using it (alot!). I just treated them like other posts in the News Feed, do not delete them, just block the app's posts from appearing in the News Feed!

Its a jungle out there!

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON
reply to ropeguru

facebook tracks you on the web, it's possible that while surfing for adult content they ASSumed ads for adult content are acceptable.
ABP and the facebook privacy ABP filter gets rid of all this & firefox ghostery extension will block the tracking as well.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

said by kingb71:

facebook tracks you on the web, it's possible that while surfing for adult content they ASSumed ads for adult content are acceptable.
ABP and the facebook privacy ABP filter gets rid of all this & firefox ghostery extension will block the tracking as well.

Yeap and that perfectly explains the "Family finds squatters in home" article
Expand your moderator at work

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY
reply to ropeguru

Fun with Facebook! Setup a totally bogus persona and watch how FB, corporations and of course, your government, can manipulate your lives. You won't understand the previous statement, so don't try. I watched as my persona propagated across the face of the planet, adding bits and pieces as it went. A well placed name, location or anything for that matter, and the persona grew and grew, all the little ant drones touching each other, validating that were now part of the collective. How simple to control all of it. Facebook, the ultimate in social manipulation. Sign up now so I can have even more fun!
--
Slow down Pa... Sakes alive...Ma missed signs... Four and five
.......................................Burma-Shave..................................

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

If you are being bombarded with Ads like these than you are not FBing right. People act like FB steals your identity, your credit card, and makes purchases for you. I've never been once influence or manipulated by FB to make a purchase. For years social networks like Xanga and Myspace operated and no one really cared. FB seems to be the first big mainstream social network and old farts are just paranoid.