uniqs
share rss forum feed

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX

Steam for Linux announced by Valve

(Sorry, normally I'd quote some from the link but it won't load here at work.)

»blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/st···enguins/

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Can someone perhaps give a summary? I'm blocked from seeing it.
BTW, all you admins out there, trendnet is really terrible as it continuously blocks financial pages/blogs/etc as "gaming" sites.
Not that it's a false positive this time...
--
~ Project Hope ~

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Steamd Penguins
Steamd penguins? Is it a recipe for an exotic South Pole dish? Perhaps its one of those bizarre YouTube videos of penguins in a sauna cavorting with the Swedish Bikini team?

The truth is that this is the first post of the Valve Linux blog. This blog is where you can find the latest information from Valve about our Linux development efforts. Avoid the rumors and speculations that multiply on the Web. Instead, come to the source – a blog where people who are interested in Linux and open source game development can get the latest information on Valves efforts in this arena. In this initial post, well introduce the team (and a bit of its history) and then give you a snapshot of what were currently doing.

Big Things Have Small Beginnings

For some time, Gabe has been interested in the possibility of moving Steam and the Source game engine to Linux. At the time, the company was already using Linux by supporting Linux-based servers for Source-based games and also by maintaining several internal servers (running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu server) for various projects. In 2011, based on the success of those efforts and conversations in the hallway, we decided to take the next step and form a new team. At that time, the team only consisted of a few people whose main purpose was investigating the possibility of moving the Steam client and Left 4 Dead 2 over to Ubuntu.

Why Ubuntu? There are a couple of reasons for that. First, were just starting development and working with a single distribution is critical when you are experimenting, as we are. It reduces the variability of the testing space and makes early iteration easier and faster. Secondly, Ubuntu is a popular distribution and has recognition with the general gaming and developer communities. This doesnt mean that Ubuntu will be the only distribution we support. Based on the success of our efforts around Ubuntu, we will look at supporting other distributions in the future.

After successfully porting L4D2 to Ubuntu, interest grew within Valve and, as a result, the team and projects we were working on also grew. Currently, our focus is on the following projects:

getting the Steam client onto Linux with full functionality
optimizing a version of L4D2 running at a high frame rate with OpenGL
porting additional Valve titles
Current Projects

The goal of the Steam client project is a fully-featured Steam client running on Ubuntu 12.04. Weve made good progress this year and now have the Steam client running on Ubuntu with all major features available. Were still giving attention and effort to minor features but its a good experience at the moment. In the near future, we will be setting up an internal beta focusing on the auto-update experience and compatibility testing.

Since the Steam client isnt much without a game, were also porting L4D2 to Ubuntu. This tests the game-related features of the Steam client, in addition to L4D2 gameplay on Ubuntu. Over the last few months, excellent progress has been made on several fronts and it now runs natively on Ubuntu 12.04. Were working hard to improve the performance and have made good progress (more on that in a future post). Our goal is to have L4D2 performing under Linux as well as it performs under Windows.

Well be posting more information about those projects (and others) on a regular basis. Since this is a new effort for the team, wed love to hear your opinions about the blog so shoot us an email. We also encourage you to leave comments and ideas for future postings. We want this to be a community of game developers, communicating with each other and talking about current efforts and future efforts in a powerfully creative environment.

After all, isnt that what open source is all about – the idea that collaboration and teamwork achieve amazing things?

The Valve Linux Team

Our mission is to strengthen the gaming scene on Linux, both for players and developers. This includes Linux ports of Steam and Valve games, as well as partner games. We are also investigating open source initiatives that could benefit the community and game developers.

Initially formed in 2011, the Valve Linux team is currently 11 people and growing. Our mission is to investigate open source development with a specific focus on supporting Steam and other Valve products on the Linux platform. The Linux background of our team varies from those who have a deep knowledge of Linux development to those who have just scratched the surface. However, one thing we all share is a great passion for supporting all things Valve on Linux. If you share that same great passion and think you have what it takes to join our team, let us know!

Steamd Penguins
Jul. 16 2012
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

Thx.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rexbinary

said by rexbinary:

(Sorry, normally I'd quote some from the link but it won't load here at work.)

»blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/st···enguins/

You beat me to it... I saw this on both G+ and Twitter this morning but got sidetracked from posting it.

I can hardly wait this and Humble Bundle are very good developments for Linux Gamers and gaming on Linux.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

niblifar

join:2004-02-12
Ohio
reply to rexbinary

Looking forward to buying some native Linux Valve games.
--
Vita est bona.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

I would be so freakin' happy to be able to play CS/CS:S on 'nix natively. After all these years, it's still the game I play the most.
--
~ Project Hope ~

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

Positive things, great news! This is probably the most excitement "Gaming on Linux" has seen since UT2004.

Patience, though... 11 people sorting through "performance issues" for one title may take some time to realize an entire platform ported over.

Still, it is exciting. Don't be shy and quiet, if this interests you, visit Valve's blog or even forums and express your opinion. If things become quiet, projects may go dark
--

BBBanditRuR
Dingbits

join:2009-06-02
Parachute, CO
reply to rexbinary

Good. Good. Good. Good.

Now I have to retrace all my posts to blogs and say, "Neh-Neh-Neh-Neh-Neh-Neh! Told you so!"

yaplej
Premium
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR
reply to rexbinary

They just need to make Steam DEV an IDE that can be used to write games for both Windows/Linux/Mac all from a single code base.

Write/Build/Publish all from one console. Small startup studios would love it, Mac & Linux users would like it, MS would hate it.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to markofmayhem

said by markofmayhem:

Don't be shy and quiet, if this interests you, visit Valve's blog or even forums and express your opinion. If things become quiet, projects may go dark

Already twittered, gee-plussed (is that a verb?) I've been watching this since Phoronix started talking about it two or so years ago.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to rexbinary

*Faints*
Did hell freeze over?

So much better then EA's supposed games that run on linux [HTML based games].

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand
reply to rexbinary

Next in line to go, Blizzard (crosses fingers).

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

said by cpsycho:

Next in line to go, Blizzard (crosses fingers).

They dropped Linux in spring of 2004 due to "support costs" on WoW version 0.6. They have been very reasonable allowing Wine to emulate a Windows OpenGL environment and continue to support a Windows OpenGL environment. I'm not sure much more will come from them At the least, appreciation of supporting and allowing a Windows OpenGL environment including having Warden detect Wine and allow it could be given.
--

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
reply to rexbinary

I'll be happy with Valve fine tuning their OpenGL software. They've already brought all of their Source based games to Mac (Half-Life 2, Counter Strike:Source, Team Fortress 2, etc).

Making TF2 run better on non-Windows platforms is good by me.
--
less talk, more music

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to rexbinary

Apparently serious sam 3 may be in the linux pipe line too.

»www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n···=MTE0MjU

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to markofmayhem

I have gotten world of warcraft to run on my linux box. I use playonlinux to configure wow and wine.

I had wow running on Ubuntu a few years ago, back then it took me a few hours and a bit of hair pulling to get it to work.
But thanks to playonlinux, it's nearly a breeze to sit up WOW. All I did was copy my wow directory on my windows PC onto a portable USB drive, then carried it downstairs to my linux box. There I copied it onto the linux box, pointed playonlinux to the directory, and it configured everything "auto-magically".

I went with playonlinux because it's a free program compared with cross over. So when ever I feel like playing WOW, I can enjoy it on my 46" TV screen vs a 17" monitor upstairs.

But I agree, it's kind of condusing as to why Blizzard still has opengl in their stuff, if they aren't supporting a platform that uses it. Maybe they secretly support it?
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

said by Snakeoil:

But I agree, it's kind of condusing as to why Blizzard still has opengl in their stuff, if they aren't supporting a platform that uses it. Maybe they secretly support it?

Because they support Mac OS X...

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Ahh, I keep forgeting about Mac stuff.. mainly because I don't have a mac and mac OS is a closed OS, like windows.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Snakeoil:

Ahh, I keep forgeting about Mac stuff.. mainly because I don't have a mac and mac OS is a closed OS, like windows.

Not quite as closed as Windows, but big pieces of it are still proprietary.

»opensource.apple.com/
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to rexbinary

Valve's Newell: Windows 8 "catastrophe" driving Valve to embrace Linux - Jul 25, 2012:

Steam move to Linux is a hedge against Windows 8's failure.

Valve head—and one-time Microsoft employee—Gabe Newell has branded Windows 8 "a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space" at videogame conference Casual Connect in Seattle. The Valve boss continued, saying that in the fallout from Windows 8, "we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people."

He argued that one of the last remaining things keeping people away from Linux was the lack of games. Valve is working to bring Left 4 Dead 2 and other Steam titles to Linux in a move that Newell describes as "a hedging strategy." If his predictions about Windows 8 come true, he says "it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality."

Newell's low opinion of Microsoft's next major operating system has been known for some time. When Michael Larabel of Phoronix visited Valve's Bellevue, WA, campus in April of this year to learn about the company's efforts to port Steam to Linux, he reported that Newell's "negativity for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft was stunning."

[Newell] attributed Valve's success to the PC's open nature, saying that the company "wouldn't exist" without either the PC or "the openness of the platform." That openness is under threat, though. Newell argues that there is a "strong temptation" to close the platform, because the platform's developers "look at what they can accomplish when they limit the competitors’ access to the platform, and they say 'That's really exciting.'"

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19

said by FF4m3 :
boss continued, saying that in the fallout from Windows 8, "we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people........[Newell] attributed Valve's success to the PC's open nature, saying that the company "wouldn't exist" without either the PC or "the openness of the platform." That openness is under threat, though. Newell argues that there is a "strong temptation" to close the platform, because the platform's developers "look at what they can accomplish when they limit the competitors’ access to the platform, and they say 'That's really exciting.'"
Hmmm... me thinks some one is envious of the walled fruit orchard of another company and their tactic is to move to that model via... hmmm... what could it be? ? ?

And the plot thickens....
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to FF4m3

"Full" Gabe Newell transcript here.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to rexbinary

I've read two articles today on this, each one seems to point out how Gaben likes the openness of linux and wants more people to use that. Which is good, more people that use linux the better. Especially since that means they get away from ms/apple tying to have walled garden oses and move to an open os.

MS is pushing metro, and ms takes 30% of the money made from the sale of metro applications, not to mention metro applications can only be bought from MS's own online store. Sure you can download/buy/install non-metro programs from anywhere else just like now with windows 8, but ms is pushing xbox live hard for win 8 in what seems to be an attempt to get a monopoly situation. From the looks of it MS wants windows to be as much of a closed garden as the ios. As the guy running a competitor to one of MS's products yeah I can totally see how he wouldn't like this.

He also wants all 2500 of the games on steam ported to linux, while I doubt there will be a day when all 100% of them are I say the more the better, just one less excuse to use windows.

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
reply to rexbinary

I'd like to play The Last Remnant without Wine in Linux. It would be nice to play it in full screen.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to rexbinary

Looks like Blizzard, or at least Rob Pardo, the Executive Vice President of Game Design at Blizzard Entertainme, shares Gaben's feelings about windows 8.

"nice interview with Gabe Newell - "I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space* - not awesome for Blizzard either" "

»www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n···=MTE0ODE

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to rexbinary

If Steam does this and it succeeds, the water dam might give way and we'll see much more support for Linux. More Linux drivers, more software, more support. F@H version 7 runs well on Linux, though GPU support doesn't exist yet from what I can tell.

Go get em Steam!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to rexbinary

Valve says Left 4 Dead 2 runs faster on Linux:

In a post on its Linux blog, the Valve team reports that the Linux port of Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) is running faster on Linux than Windows. On a high-end test system with an Intel Core i7 3930k processor, 32GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics card, Valve managed to run the Linux port of L4D2 at 315 FPS. In comparison, the Windows version managed 270.6 FPS – although Valve was able to increase this to 303.4 FPS after improving the Windows implementation of OpenGL, a side effect of their porting work.

After the porting was complete, the initial version of the L4D2 Linux port ran at 6 FPS. The company's Linux team then started to modify the game to work more efficiently with the kernel and OpenGL. One of the modifications they made was changing the game's memory allocator to work better with Linux. After these changes, the company worked with hardware manufacturers NVIDIA, AMD and Intel to improve the performance of their graphics drivers. The company says it was surprised to see the Linux version outperform the original Windows client, which it had spent more time on. According to the Valve Linux team, this "does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL."

The company also started a dedicated blog for its Linux team and announced that it would hire more developers to work on porting more games in the future.